It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State line is not where folks thought it was

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

State line is not where folks thought it was

www.msnbc.msn.com

93 properties suddenly find themselves in another state

...modern-day surveyors, using computers and GPS systems, redrew the border to narrow it down to the centimeter. Their results put the new line about 150 feet south of the old one and placed Boulware's Lake Wylie Minimarket in North Carolina, where the gas prices are 30 cents higher and the fireworks that boost his bottom line are illegal.

"If I end up across the line, it is going to shut this business down," Boulware said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23/3/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/3/12 by soficrow because: headline repair

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The source article is about a specific town straddling South Carolina and North Carolina - and blames errors made by surveyors 240 years ago.

But sorry - fact is, the planet shifts routinely - boundaries everywhere are inaccurate. It's known, acknowledged and routinely fudged. The accepted convention is to respect the lines as originally drawn, and not make a big issue out of it.

So one has to wonder, "Why now?" What's going on that this little trial ballon is deemed necessary? ...Anticipating some major shifts are we?

And can you imagine the chaos if property owners in Manhattan or other major uptown areas started checking their property lines with GPS and computers?

This has the potential to remake our world.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Sheer stupidity and distraction is all this is.
The store was in state X forever, redraw the line and leave it in that state.
But that will not happen and someone will turn this into a real issue...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Who cares? ( and I don't mean about your post) Moving the state line 150 feet will cause much more turmoil than just leaving it where it's at. If changed this brings up issues with state laws, taxes, funding, and even electoral votes(though one would assume 150 wouldn't make a difference).

This 240 year old mistake has not hurt anyone yet, why should we allow it to start hurting people now?
edit on 23-3-2012 by headorheart because: .

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So he has been paying
Sales tax
Property tax
Income tax, etc to the wrong State?

I see amended returns coming,
and the right state demanding the tax,
owed to them for all those years.

And then a lawsuit as one state that had no jurisdiction
approved all the permits etc.

And will he have to file for new permits in proper state since they have no record of him?

And don't forget the utility companies that fraudulently charged a customer from another state.

edit on 23-3-2012 by Gmoneycricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I sure hope they don't do that to the Texas / New Mexico state line, because I live right on the border on the Texas side. If suddenly I find myself in New Mexico, my property taxes will go up, and then there is state tax to pay, which isn't the case in Texas.

If something ain't broke, why try to fix it? If the state line was that way for 240 years, what is the point of changing it now?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I live in California.

"Stuff" moves, get used to it!

Just keep you board waxed, and hang loose.

Seriously, more than likely all prior taxes, permitrs and fees will be "grandfathered" into the new jurisdiction (if they're smart), and any changes made will be made "going forward" only.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If I set up house on a chunk of your land, and live on it for 7 years, I can get a lawyer and it's now my land.

So I don't see why the same laws don't apply here.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Wow, great! Someone has found a way to capitalize on the shifting
poles.
Would'nt you know it, these guys never miss a trick. Wow.

Can you imagine if we were to start experiencing major snaps,
as in the one that changed the landscape on March 11th?

Talk about Chaos!

top topics

join