It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Any Scot's out there?

My mate's running a site dedicated to Scottish independence.

Scottish independence 2014

If your passionate about Scotland and want independence or even if you dont head on over and take a looky!

edit on 23-3-2012 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
while do I support the idea...

mate... just tell your friend that hosting a "scottish independence" website and forum to spread ideas is cool, but hosting it on a .co.uk domain?! Come on....

lol

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Lol hes changing to the new .scot domain when they come out next year!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Does Scottish independence = English taxpayers don't have to subsidize them anymore? If so i am all for it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Actually England does not subsidise Scotland in anyway, The latest OBR figures show that Scotland which has 8.6% of the UK's population was responsible for contributing 9.4% of the total of the UK's revenue.

Here are some more facts for you Scotland has 90% of the UK's north sea oil, which will legally be Scotland's after independence under international laws.
So combine this with our rapidly expanding renewable energy sector and all our other industries, Then Scotland will be doing quite well
We will also make massive savings upon independence as we will no longer need to contribute to the yearly running cost of Trident at 1 billion pounds, Scotland will no longer have to pay its share towards this.

Westminster 's yearly running cost is 500 million pounds, this is another saving we make by not having to contribute towards its cost

The UK's bloated foreign aid bill is 10 billion pounds per year, another thing we will no longer have to contribute towards.

HS2, even though the new high speed rail is going no where near Scotland. We will still be expected to pay our share of this, so another saving we will make after independence

And if anyone is still in doubt about Scotland becoming a rich independent nation, then you should go and read the McCrone report which was kept as classified secret for over thirty years as it showed that Scotland would have been one of the wealthiest countries in Europe with a massive surplus.

Here is the wikipedia page for the McCrone report which is actually better as it gets straight to the point
en.wikipedia.org...

but if you prefer you can find the whole document here
www.oilofscotland.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, I'm not Scottish but I have (up till the last 10 years) lived pretty much my entire life in Scotland (until I had to move for employment). I think Scottish and Welsh independence is a good idea. But I doubt the government would ever allow it to happen. They are well aware of the income from Scotland and Wales. Scotland would still end up with a foreign aid bill (well... if they wanted to remain part of European union, I think the foreign aid contribution is mandatory).

I have read the McCrone report and was particularly struck by one statement "for the first time since the Act Of Union was passed, it can now be credibly argued that Scotland's economic advantage lies in its repeal." That is why I don't think the government will ever allow independence. If it wasn't for lack of employment I'd still be living there. Lol, got me thinking about growing up there now. Happy times...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Nice little forum there, cheers

Alba Gu Bràth.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Anon77

yeah there is a minimum for EU states to pay towards foreign aid, cant remember how much is, but the UK is definitely paying more than they should be paying, so there is still savings to be made. you should move back its exciting times in Scotland just now, and there will be one hell of a party when the majority yes vote is returned

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottishindependence2014
reply to post by Anon77

yeah there is a minimum for EU states to pay towards foreign aid, cant remember how much is, but the UK is definitely paying more than they should be paying, so there is still savings to be made. you should move back its exciting times in Scotland just now, and there will be one hell of a party when the majority yes vote is returned

Definitely right there, We pay far too much foreign aid (I think it's about 800 - 900 million per year!), how about some of that foreign aid in this damn country! Bloody government. Some countries in the EU aren't even paying foreign aid! (their supposed to be but their not being punished for not doing). Am seriously considering moving back up to Scotland (lived in Perth before), My sister and her kids and hubby live in Glasgow and they've offered numerous times to put me up whilst I find employment. Very tempting. Am currently unemployed down here, so can't be any worse off back up in Scotland.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Independence is not all it is cracked up to be. The Canadians got their "independence" but still have the queen of England on their money.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What a lot of ignorant posts i have just read, im guessing from the english members. Do some research fells, facts trump remarks ...... Do you really believe Scotland depend on England ? Other than the relationship deteriorating its would be all plus for scotland, too long have they been shackled by westminster, too long have the smear campaigns rolled over the scots. England is soooooo corrupt, the EU is killing them and has taking the sovereignty away and under the control of europe now. Scotlands only chance is to break from britain for a better life for its natives free from the totalitarian EU ....yeah you heard it right.

Regarding security matters as you put it we are a small island on each others back door so an arrangement will be made.

I used to think independance would be bad for scotland but since 2009 when the lisbon treaty was signed i am thinking differently.

new topics

top topics

join