It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koch Brothers Launch Hostile Takeover of Libertarian CATO Institute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Koch Brothers Launch Hostile Takeover of Libertarian CATO Institute

From sources:

Koch Brothers Take Over CATO: What really happens inside all those think tanks?

Charles and David Koch staged an attempt to take over leadership of the Cato Institute, the prominent libertarian think tank in Washington, D.C., last week by claiming a majority of seats on its governing body.

Koch Brothers' Attempted Takeover Of Cato Could Be Part Of Bold Plan (UPDATE)

WASHINGTON -- Anyone wondering why the ultra-conservative billionaire industrialist Koch brothers are trying to seize control of the libertarian Cato Institute might want to look toward Wisconsin.

The Cato Institute is a Washington think tank with a long history of rigorous scholarship in the name of championing individual liberty. It's known for taking positions outside the conservative mainstream on issues like civil liberties, the war on drugs and U.S. militarism, regardless of the political consequences.

Charles and David Koch, by contrast, are all about winning. Their massive underwriting of bellicose Tea Party groups and super PACs appears to have three main goals: ousting President Barack Obama, busting unions, and reducing the tax and regulatory burden on companies like their own.

Koch Brothers Sue To Take Over Cato Institute, Allegedly To Turn It Into 'Ammo Shop' For Americans For Prosperity

Charles and David Koch have filed suit to take control of the organization, and the Cato people are not very happy. Via the Volokh Conspiracy:

The Kochs deny any such intent, but it seems like they want to buy the Cato credibility and use it as an attack dog in the presidential election

Hyper-partisan Koch Brothers have set out to retake their CATO institute, undermining it's stance as a promoter of true libertarian values and instead returning it to their fold of right-wing think tanks that promote only their greed and avarice.

Koch Bros. created the CATO inst. in the 70's and allowed more libertarian minded partners to join it. The CATO Inst. was created, along with other right-wing think tanks like the Heritage Foundation, in the aftermath of the "Powell Manifesto", written by Lewis F. Powell, a corporate lawyer and member of the boards of 11 corporations to his friend Eugene Sydnor, Jr., the Director of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, another hyper-partisan think tank and non-profit recipient of US tax dollars.

This latest takeover of the CATO shows that partisan politicking is driving the agenda of these "think tanks", and personally I think they should ALL have their 503(c) non-profit status immediately revoked.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Where is the outcry from the Libertarians?

The CATO was one of the only remaining think tanks that catered to libertarian interests - it may have gone off the deep end now and then, but for the most part was the last institute that responsibly promoted ideals of smaller government and free markets. Now it's about to be folded back into the hyper-partisan politics of the Koch Bros., who have ALREADY destroyed the "Tea Party Movement" from within.

Not a peep from the TPM, or the Libertarians. You're about to lose one of your remaining voices.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Not a peep from the TPM, or the Libertarians. You're about to lose one of your remaining voices.

I think many of them are currently trying to figure out how to blame this on Soros.

Its not about keeping purity...partisan politics has crushed most people now adays and will gladly sell their soul to give someone on the opposite end of the spectrum a below the belt punch.

Koch Brothers are earth eaters. oil and coal tycoons that see the landscape of the world as theirs to destroy, and never to be questioned on their actions.

I am sure they will start a "grassroots" movement by "libertarians" that cheer for the demise of slightly opposing thought and will cheer for the CATO institutes...restructuring.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Their massive underwriting of bellicose Tea Party groups and super PACs appears to have three main goals: ousting President Barack Obama, busting unions, and reducing the tax and regulatory burden on companies like their own.

One would, if being honest, view each of these claims as being completely in line with individual liberties.

A) Obama is a threat to individual liberties
B) Unions are a threat to individual liberties
C) I'm an individual and I support reductions in regulations and taxes

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Another Libertarian think tank, group, whatever taken over by the religious right? Surprise? They steal everything of ours, like the Tea Party, rape it, rework it, launch it again under the same name, call it "libertarian" and drive the religious fascist masses under a mantra of small government (if you're a corporation only, sorry). Even if Libertarian did have an outcry of anger over the situation, the Cock brothers have more money than all of us combined.. so like the Tea Party we will roll over and take it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think many of them are currently trying to figure out how to blame this on Soros

I often wonder if they even know who the Koch brothers are. If they have been watching fox or listening to conservative radio...there is a good chance they have never heard of them.

I'm not sure many would care anyway. Most are already trained to defend the oil companies at all costs, so it's right up their alley.

Sometimes I listen to Hannity on the radio on the way home from work. It's nothing but full blown pissing and moaning for the first 20 minutes. Playing the victim. Poor Hannity.

I don't know how people can listen to him. He's the prick who we all knew in school who thought his S didn't stink. Sadly, he's not even good at it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Folks really need to research these guys.

It will make you ASHAMED to be human with guys like them on the earth...

new topics

top topics

join