It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger suspends accepting new orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This explains alot. A few weeks ago I decided I needed to pick up a Ruger 10/22. Why I never bought one over the years eludes me. The 10/22 is probably one of the most ubiqutous semi-auto .22LR carbines out there. So I headed on down to Bass Pro Shops to pick one up. Not only didn't they have any, the clerk told me he couldn't even order one for me they were so back-ordered. What? So I hit 3 gun shops and just missed (by 20min) the last one at one of the shops. I eventually did find one.

And then this came out: Ruger

Just in the nick of time I guess...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well it could be worse. I hope this announcement can be taken as fact, meaning they are just to busy to accept new orders, and not "closed for remodeling" like you see posted in front of defunkt resturants.

I agree with you about the 10/22. The things you can do with this little carbine are almost limitless. A side note; i personally feel the Mark series of .22 semi-auto pistols can't be beat either.

and finally, who the heck is ordering all of Ruger's guns!

edit on 23-3-2012 by grubblesnert because: spellin'

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I dont get it. Ruger doesnt offer anything unique. Most of their product line is a direct rip-off of other designs.

Bill Ruger built that company on knock-offs and now that he's dead and the company is trying to repair the "pro AWB" crap he spent so much time peddling their "new" stuff is yet more copies.

Ruger for whatever reason has become an American icon but the root of the company is all just overpriced knock-offs.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by grubblesnert
Well it could be worse. I hope this announcement can be taken as fact, meaning they are just to busy to accept new orders, and not "closed for remodeling" like you see posted in front of defunkt resturants.

I agree with you about the 10/22. The things you can do with this little carbine are almost limitless. A side note; i personally feel the Mark series of .22 semi-auto pistols can't be beat either.

Agreed, to all above.

I think the orders are from scared citizens. I know a lot of people that never owned a firearm for years.... and now they do. I asked some of them why they decided to buy guns and the uniform answer was that they felt they needed firearms to protect their families... And they are afraid that they will not be able to buy firearms in the near future.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Agreed, to all above.

I think the orders are from scared citizens. I know a lot of people that never owned a firearm for years.... and now they do. I asked some of them why they decided to buy guns and the uniform answer was that they felt they needed firearms to protect their families... And they are afraid that they will not be able to buy firearms in the near future.
Good point, both the 10/22 and semi-auto Mark.... (mine's a Mark 1, bought and carried by a Detroit fireman during the riots is the late 60s) are often the first firearm for beginners, target shooters and, in my experience, a staple for a lot would be survivalists.

As for the Ruger hater in the earlier post. Objectively you can't honestly knock these two iconic firearms and yes most everything in this world is an improvement or inspired by something else that came before it.

Mark1: inspired by the Japanese semi-anto of WW2 (maybe some hint of a Luger, in the grip and appearance catagory IMO too).

10/22: inspired by the US M1 carbire of the same era. some may say inspired by the M-14 which lead to the Ruger Mini-14 (I like this one too)

You don't have to be gaga over the entire Ruger line to appreciate these two examples.
Spend a sunny day plinking cans, grapefruit or milk jugs with either and, if you have a soul, you will fall in love with these two "knockoffs" too

edit on 23-3-2012 by grubblesnert because: clarifry cayshun

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You don't have to be gaga over the entire Ruger line to appreciate these two examples.
Spend a sunny day plinking cans, grapefruit or milk jugs with either and, if you have a soul, you will fall in love with these two "knockoffs" too

I own those two examples. And three other Rugers.

Spending a sunny day plinking with a semi-22 is spending a sunny day plinking with a semi-22.

There isnt anything magical about a 10/22.

Most who own one or more have to replace the trigger, extractor, throw on a bull barrel, etc... just to get a worthwhile rifle. At that point it's still just an accurized semi-22. They're a dime a dozen across numerous manufacturers.

More recently Ruger has jumped on the EBR bandwagon. Which I cant fault. Everyone makes them. Well, three or four companies make them. Everyone else just assembles them from the parts and gives them cute names.

So it irks me when a company like Ruger or Smith and Wesson take a product that already exists by the millions sticks their logo on it, gives it a cute name like "M&P-15" or "SR-556" and sells it successfully to weekend warriors who dont know any better.

When I see somebody at the range with an AR and I ask "what'cha shootin?" I cringe to hear "SR-556" or M&P-15". I didnt ask what logo was stamped on your lower. I asked what you are shooting. What makes the AR in your hand your AR? Barrel twist? Handguard? Trigger group? Ramps? Bolt? Barrel composition?

I'ts hard for me to see Ruger's success as anything more significant than simple brand recognition. A popular logo mass marketed to an indifferent or uneducated population. Sort of like Nike footwear.

I've a wall of .22's semis and singles and from it I never reach for any of the 10/22's. Nothing about shooting them is enjoyable. Even the ones I've "raced" up with heavy barrels, match components and ergo stocks. When time comes to pop cans in the field I usually grab one of the pre-68 bolt's.

I'd be far less critical of them if they werent marking their products up to obscene premiums. Last time I saw a Mini-14 the damn things were retailing for over $600. What sense does that make? An inaccurate carbine with proprietary mags for $600? You can grab an AR for that pricepoint. It's marketed as a "ranch" gun. A beater. A workhorse. In that class it should be at least $200 less.

With Ruger you pay more for the copy of the real thing you can get for less. I dont understand it.
edit on 23-3-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Time to hit you local gun show circuit and look for an older 10/22. It's a great gun for the average owner and like was mentioned before, you can do just about anything with it in regards to upgrades. For general use you don't need to do a whole lot to it. In reality, its general design/look was inspired by the M1 Carbine but that's where the similarity ends.

I've owned two over the years and love em. Wish I'd never gotten rid of the first one I had. I traded it for a MEC shot shell reloader. Good trade but I miss the gun.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm speaking from personal experience and take both examples at what they are, a target pistol and a plinker.
My Mark 1 has had countless thousands many,many thousands of rounds ran through it since its been in my possesion, ( I have 3 mags and we keep loading while one of us fires it). plus however many rounds My dad and I fired through it when I was a kid. never needed a repair or replacement part, still working to this day.
I dont own a 10/22 but some of my friends do. I thought of getting a 10/22 for my son's first shooter. At that time they cost around $175 plus tax and background check fees.
So I figure you get what you pay for with a $175 over the counter stock carbine.
A friend gave me an inland M-1 (he didnt know what he had!) so that became his first firearm. (I already had one)
Like you I have a wide assortment of firearms. I like the classics and battle proven.
Unlike you I see the good in each, realize the inherant limitations in them all and acccept them for what they are (unconditional love). I usually bring them all along at shooting day and share them with my shooting buddies.
and everyone is happy.......
In a long winded way what I'm trying to say is LIGHTEN UP!
Ruger aint the devil nethier is S&W and if they are depending on me to stay in bussiness they are in for are disappointment

Peace to you my fellow gun nut!

top topics

join