It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 'Memorial Hall' ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I said this on the other thread ... thought I'd mention it here ...

We have had a few ATSers pass away. We should have a 'memorial hall' here.
Something to click on and see people memorialized. Leave a message.
With links to their profile and a brief 'something' about them from ATS.
Not a virtual cemetery .... but I think you know what I mean ....

Gools. (ETA .. I was told Gools .. but now I'm told SHOTZ)???
theRiverGoddess
William One Sac
etc

Would this be a good idea or do you think it wouldn't work?
Management could be notified when an ATSer passes away.
Verification of online obits IRL ...
I think enough of us have other people's email addresses that it could work IF you want it.

ETA .. kinda like the 'top 50 posters' link ... that kind of thing. But subdued and appropriate.
edit on 3/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/23/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It may scare new or lurking members away from site who might have good data to share. It is a good respectful idea for those who have passed or been killed. I just think new members who may have fragile conspiracy minds may be effected.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

In light of the recent news I think it's something that should at least be considered. After reading your post I admittedly still do, but at the same time I think I can at least see where you're coming from still. I don't think it would be good to add a link at the very top of the page next to the trending pages, or even a link in the main Navbar, instead just a small, but always present link in the footer or somewhere else non-intrusive like that would be just perfect in my opinion.

But the point remains.. a link, or a tribute page of some kind, would be really great to see here as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure the majority of people here right now would appreciate something like that as well. There have been some really great members that have passed away, Jkrog08 being another in particular that jumps out for me, and I think it would just be fantastic if there was somewhere where we could pay some kind of tribute to them, even if it's just a page with their name of it and a link to their past contributions. They may have passed on but they were never truly forgotten, at least here anyway.

Just throwing out my 2 cents..
edit on 23-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I didn't realise that Gools and therivergoddess had passed away?

Wow..

Also Mckyle..., Jkrog

There have definitely been a few.

I think an actual cyber cemetery may not be the best thing.

We mark each members passing as and when they happen.

Maybe A thread of some of their best posts and threads, like a post for each one, just so people can get a feel for some of the great members and people who we've lost along the way.

I dunno.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I approve of this memorial idea.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You know what would be nice and I think someone did it for Jkrog, was to compile all his threads and posts and pass them on to the family. i thought that was a great gesture and must have provided a little bit of comfort for the family.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I agree with your input on this subject. I was just keeping in mind some of the fragile minds that may come here and access the link where the passed may be named and get afraid and relate the passed to some out of box conspiracy thinking. I think its a respectful thing to do to remember the many members, I just felt I should add the input in my first post incase it came to fruitation and some forgot how it may effect others who may be sensitive. Many come into this and other types of sites with a bit of fear as they seek to learn about the hidden agendas of EA*RTH and can or may associate the link of passed members with conspiracies which in turn may deter them from observing the rabbit hole preventing them from seeking and sharing potential good data. So I am not against as much as I was just making it aware how it may effect others Rising Against, but I do understand your point.
edit on 3/23/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think it's a wonderful idea and adds a more human side to the site. I wouldn't be worried about people being spooked off by a virtual memorial of lost members. If anything it would show newcomers how much each and everyone of us, our thoughts, opinions, disagreements are just another part of our lives even here online. And I know many people come here daily just for the support of fellow members even when we disagree with each other. For some it's all the family they have, sad to think of it that way but I imagine a comfort to to those who have no one else in their lives. I know if I passed on I would be honored to know that a bunch of complete strangers took the time to honor my thoughts and remember me, sometimes I think the virtual world here at ATS is more compassionate than anything in our real lives. My vote = Yes.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Oh and trust me, I do understand your point as well and I agreed with you too. That's exactly why I proposed the idea that, acting on the assumption that a new "memorial page" of some kind was being made, to make it not too intrusive, instead something like a small link in the footer or something similar to that even. I do know what you mean though, even that may worry some a little bit unfortunately.

I have to admit as well though, I do feel like I've gotten to know so many great people here and I'm good friends with a lot as well. Mckyle for example, who was mentioned above by Blup, was someone who I was just starting to get to know really well before he passed on here, If I remember right he still has a PM from me waiting in his inbox from when we was last chatting. Some other members even have my home address and phone number and some are too far away so we just exchange emails for now. But it's for that reason why I do like the idea of some kind of memorial page here, this being the place where we all met, exchanged ideas, debated and so on.

I guess as of right now there is of course ways to pay tribute to those members who have passed away, the use of posting a new thread for example, or leaving a comment on their profile etc. etc. But I don't know, the "memorial page" idea just seems like a pretty nice one to me. I wouldn't mind and I'd understand if something like that wasn't added though, because like I said above we can still pay tribute in other ways, but yeah, I just think it's a pretty good idea, that's all.
edit on 23-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I didn't realise that Gools and therivergoddess had passed away?

I was told Gools had passed away. Now I've gotten a U2U that it was SHOTZ and not Gools.
So I could be confused. If Gools is still amongst the living ... mea culpa ...

A 'memorial hall' would be nice .. AND ... it would help keep it straight.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes indeed this an excellent idea. Very nice of you to think of the net and the ats community in this way.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. The people who spent their time and energy on this site, and became well-known, have given ATS their hearts. Their words and works should not be forgotten.

What becomes of the members profile status after they've passed?
Are they then signalled with a tilde like the banned members? Or are they just floating in limbo still accumulating stars and flags?

Maybe they could put a star/tilde clue in the profile, leaving the threads and posts active, but indicating the person will be unable to respond. That way if a new member wants to, they can look at the post history posthumously, rather than hoping for a response or reply by starring or u2uing. .

Just an idea.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

A very nice, respectful idea.
*applause*

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think thats a wonderful idea FF.

Many great members have been lost to us. A Memorial Hall is a great way to remember them all, past, present and future contributing members.

Love the idea and big vote up for it from me.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i like this idea alot, its maybe a small way for us to thank those that we took to our hearts, come to know, cry with, argue with and respect they may be gone but will never be forgotten to ATS. i missed william one sac alot when he passed i came to know him through his helping me on tinwiki and when i first started here, and the same with TRG. it would be a great way to rekindle the memories, and show them how much we respected them.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
You know what would be nice and I think someone did it for Jkrog, was to compile all his threads and posts and pass them on to the family. i thought that was a great gesture and must have provided a little bit of comfort for the family.

I also like your idea combined with the "Memorial Hall" already mentioned.
The Memorial Hall would be used for us to say a few words on our fellow ATS'ers and I strongly believe that the compiling of the many threads the individual made could be done by a respected figure on ATS, perhaps not the owners but a MOD? Having those threads compiled and somehow send them to their family will be a great deal coming from an ATS respected figure rather than by one of us (not that we aren't respected, but you know what I mean)? Just a thought!

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think it is a good idea. Some of us might not even know for sure that someone here has passed away. Maybe if they had friends or family here too, they could inform us. It would be sad but nice and some closure.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I would like to add my "This is a good idea" too. But I have no suggestions for how to implement it.
2nd

new topics

top topics

join