It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santorum: Romney v Obama? Vote for Obama!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Santorum - Might as well have Obama over Romney

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Thursday said Republicans should give President Barack Obama another term if Santorum isn't the GOP nominee and for a second day compared rival Mitt Romney to an Etch A Sketch toy.

Santorum reiterated an argument he has made before: The former Massachusetts governor is not conservative enough to offer voters a clear choice in the fall election and that only he can provide that contrast.

"You win by giving people a choice," Santorum said during a campaign stop in Texas. "You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who's just going to be a little different than the person in there."

Is he sour grapes? Or is he right? IMHO - both.

He's right that Obama and Romney don't have a lot of daylight between them. The biggest difference I see ... Obama wanted to bail out the auto industry and Romney (who hails from Michigan) ... said to let it fail, that's the way Capitalism works. Of course there is also Romney saying he is now prolife and Obama is proabortion .. but those are personal opinions and would have no effect upon the law of the land.

At the same time, Santorum looks to be 'sour grapes'. If he wasn't, then he's grab those 'little differences' that go in favor of the direction he wants the country to go in (via Romney), instead of endorsing Obama who is completely opposite of what Santorum says he wants.

TV news says that Romney basically said ... Romney v Obama? Vote for Obama! No need to change the POTUS when there really isn't much of a difference.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sounds like kind of a poor sport.

But it doesn't really matter, Obama will win either way. I generally tend to lean to the conservative side, but these candidates are just awful. Romney is too fake, Gingrich is a sleazeball, and Santorum takes his conservatism/religion too far for my tastes. Even if Ron Paul got the nomination somehow, there's too much going against him for him to stand a chance of actually winning the election.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I really hope Santorum hangs in there long enough to get to the PA primary. I want to see our voters hand him his head on a plate. He got his butt kicked in '06 and I really want to see it happen to him again. The guy is a fruitbat, and the GOP doesn't like guys who don't toe the line and march lockstep with their ideology. He's willing to throw the whole GOP under the bus because he's having a temper tantrum. Way to go, Ricky.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Obama doesn't even have to campaign...the GOP is doing it for him.

In the past few weeks, they have all made ridiculous comments against each other that Obama could use as an ad.

Obama 2012...yeah...it's gonna happen folks

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This guy is a real shoe....

I cant wait until frothy is
out of the race.

ABO

Anyone but OBAMA

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Santorum. Nuttier than squirrel poop.

I'd rather have a Kenyan with no experience than Obam-. . . . . oops.

I mean, I'd rather have Justin Beiber as president than Obama. And yes, I know, he's Canadian!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
If people paid attention to the last 11 years, they would see, that indeed, there is no substantial difference between Bush and Obama, and not only wouldn't there be a difference between Romney and Obama, there wouldn't be a substantial difference between Santorum and Obama. Both parties are nothing but two sides of the side coin, and anyone that doesn't understand that, just isn't paying close attention. Once a politician assumes office, their mask comes off, and they reveal themselves as slaves to the corporate/military complex that DD Eisenhower warned America about.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
c'mon...even as a Obama supporter, i know that IS NOT what santorum meant, but in the republican conservative world, that is how it is taken. i, or course, disagree with ole sani on mitt being like obama, but i'm not voting for either of them. you know, it's pretty bad when democrats can see BS from republicans talking about other republicans better than they can see it themselves.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have no qualms voting for Obama if Mitt Romney or any of the other Republican candidates are given the nomination with the exception of Ron Paul. If Ron Paul ran independent his chances of winning may improve, but at the moment, I'm not seeing it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk of what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate for the future.

Sounds like "better the devil you know than the devil you don't." Insulting both Romney and Obama.

Hmmmm, yes, sour grapes, but as this country has lurched so far to the right over the decades, guided by the booming voices of reactionary politicians and pundits, Santorum actually makes sense...

Conservatives will, of course, scoff at the idea of Obama being any sort of conservative, just as liberals scoffed at Nixon being any kind of liberal. But with the benefit of historical hindsight, it’s now obvious that Nixon was indeed a moderate liberal in practice. And with the passage of time, it’s increasingly obvious that Clinton was essentially an Eisenhower Republican. It may take 20 years before Obama’s basic conservatism is widely accepted as well, but it’s a fact.

source

IMO Rick Santorum is the GOP's George Wallace.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
If people paid attention to the last 11 years, they would see, that indeed, there is no substantial difference between Bush and Obama, and not only wouldn't there be a difference between Romney and Obama, there wouldn't be a substantial difference between Santorum and Obama. Both parties are nothing but two sides of the side coin, and anyone that doesn't understand that, just isn't paying close attention. Once a politician assumes office, their mask comes off, and they reveal themselves as slaves to the corporate/military complex that DD Eisenhower warned America about.

i agree with you 100%, but the corporate/military complex (read: wealthy) are not the ones that will be hurt in a drastic and abrupt change. the regular "joe smoe" will take the brunt of it, with the poor seeing less of a chance of viablility. if old Dwight D. was unable to stem the power of the military industrial complex back in the 1950's, it's going to take a hurculean bi-partisan effort of unselfish concern, that frankly hasn't been seen in a number of years.
the capital (money) of the wealthy these days can easily be moved from country to country. so even if american government did something dramatically changing the current dynamic, cruel and even life-threatening change will befall the middle-class and poor.
i think when there have been good honest people that finally get into an office of power regardless of their political association, they are made aware of this.
edit on 23-3-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Sounds like "better the devil you know than the devil you don't." Insulting both Romney and Obama.

I agree. That's what I thought too. Santorum is correct that there isn't much difference between Romney and Obama. Then again .. there isn't much difference between Obama and Bush43 (especially his last two years in office). They are kinda' morphing together into one mega-POTUS.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

In the past few weeks, they have all made ridiculous comments against each other that Obama could use as an ad.

I'm not so sure of that, he is hated so intensely due to the mythology the cons have created, he is
gonna have a hell of a time with the electoral college, possibly impossible...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
There are huge differences between Romney and Obama. For one, Obama hasn't signed on to Ryan's plan that would essentially give the wealthy 4 trillion in tax cuts while gutting all kinds of social programs...and ending Medicare.

And at the same time...runs huge deficits anyway. Romney will never raise taxes on Wall Street. This is the fundamental difference of the 2.

Yeah, there are similarities in some areas, including health care mandates obviously, but the rest? Come on folks.....
edit on 23-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

I'm not so sure of that, he is hated so intensely due to the mythology the cons have created, he is gonna have a hell of a time with the electoral college, possibly impossible...

Depends. I''m waiting to see how people react when they realize the GOP isn't just trying to "fix" medicare...but end it all together.

Number one reason to not vote for them....all 4 have signed on.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't know if the GOP has lost its way or lost its mind. Times change. Policy has to as well. I find this interesting:

The Republican presidential candidates love to point to President Reagan as the inspiration for everything they do.

And that's understandable. Given the passage of time, President Reagan is almost universally loved.

But this new wholesale worship of The Gipper ignores an inconvenient truth, as the Economist pointed out this weekend:

Today, Ronald Reagan could never win the GOP nomination.

Why not?

Because he was too reasonable.

articles.businessinsider.com...

What does it say when the beacon of conservatism couldn't get his party's nomination today? Think about that.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Exactly. I'm pretty confidant that the GOP line up is really just a group of secret Obama supporters. All Obama has to do is say "Hey, at least I'm not those guys" and he's going to win. Really, it's pretty much all he needed to do in 2008. When I voted for him, I thought "Hey, at least he's not McCain".

The RNC lost this race during the first four GOP debates and with the obvious exclusion of certain candidates (we all know who). It's sad because all of the candidates who I would have been interested in seeing debate Obama, have no chance. The only two that do, have absolutely ZERO things to say that will be of any interest. "Nobama" is not a platform.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is this also not one of the same people in the earlier debates who said he would support the GOP candidate, no matter who it is and that is was very important to beat Obama?

I was trying to find the question video but was unable to do so. Pretty sure it was Wolf Blitzer who asked the question, but Santorum is already out there saying he will support the GOP Candidate and that defeating Obama is most important.

Santorum will support GOP candidate

Typical Politician.. I cant believe people are voting for this idiot. It baffles me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I hope I'm not too off-topic here, but I have an honest question.

If Obama is no dfferent than Bush and Romney is no different than Obama, then why vote? Why worry? Why care?

I think there is a difference. That's why I vote.

I'm not trying to troll. It's an honest issue.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think there is a difference. That's why I vote.

There is absolutely a difference. Hey, we agree on something. Look at that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join