It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to ignore California impound law amid concern of fairness to illegal immigrants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
reply to post by jaynkeel

"California state law, which requires police to impound the vehicles of unlicensed drivers for 30 days. "

Cali law requires no such thing.. check out 22651(p)vc and various other California "storage authorities".. required to justify impound.

>snip<

You mean these parts of the California Vehicle Code don't exist?

(a) (1) Whenever a peace officer determines that a person was driving a vehicle while his or her driving privilege was suspended or revoked, driving a vehicle while his or her driving privilege is restricted pursuant to Section 13352 or 23575 and the vehicle is not equipped with a functioning, certified interlock device, or driving a vehicle without ever having been issued a driver’s license, the peace officer may either immediately arrest that person and cause the removal and seizure of that vehicle or, if the vehicle is involved in a traffic collision, cause the removal and seizure of the vehicle without the necessity of arresting the person in accordance with Chapter 10 (commencing with Section 22650) of Division 11. A vehicle so impounded shall be impounded for 30 days.

...and...

14607.6. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, and except as provided in this section, a motor vehicle is subject to forfeiture as a nuisance if it is driven on a highway in this state by a driver with a suspended or revoked license, or by an unlicensed driver, who is a registered owner of the vehicle at the time of impoundment and has a previous misdemeanor conviction for a violation of subdivision (a) of Section 12500 or Section 14601, 14601.1, 14601.2, 14601.3, 14601.4, or 14601.5.

Yep, it's the law in California.

edit on 3/24/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

So the fact they are driving around without a license doesn't bother you as well? You me and anyone else needs to have a license but we will give them a free pass because they might not have the funds to acquire one, and they get to keep the car but you or I lose it? Like I said madness, unless I read wrong and they don't take legal citizens cars due to the same situation.

One of the problems is that if you do not have a SS# you cannot get a license. You cannot get a SS# without having your green card. You cannot get your green card if you do not have the funds for your filing fees which are about 1,490$ alone, plus whatever you will have to pay your lawyer. And I'm guessing most of these people would need a lawyer if they entered illegally and the fees for their complicated cases will most likely be atrocious. My lawyers fee for an uncomplicated case is $2500 alone on top of the $1,490 filing fees. So while these people may wish to get licenses they are unable to. Not taking one side or the other however I know how this works.

I came to the US legally in 2009, got married to a US Citizen, had a child here but still do not have my green card because we did not have the 3000$ needed to apply (lawyers fees included) he gave us half off his fees because our case is straightforward with no complications because I entered legally but have overstayed my allotted time. Now we finally have the funds and I am applying for a card in 2 weeks. However, this entire time I am unable to get a US drivers license (thankfully my Canadian one doesn't expire until 2013, however because I've been here so long I'm really supposed to have gotten a US drivers license, which I cannot because I do not have a SS#. So while I would love to go get a license here I am unable to. Hopefully by the time my application for a green card goes through which usually takes 1 year from date of application in my case which is a straightforward case, then I will finally be allowed to get my Nevada drivers license.

ETA

I'm not saying that what the illegals are doing is right I'm just giving another side of the coin that I have experienced personally.
edit on 24-3-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
i'm really really beginning to despise mexicans and the outright thievery that comes with them. yea they have changed my views from wanting to be gracious, to flat out calling ICE on them whenever I know that they are abiding here illegally. mexicans and liberals have made california a blight and septic place to live. ok bring on the racist cards....

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
From now on when I get pulled over i am stuffing all of my documentation of legality down my pants and telling the police my name is Jaun Valdez. I hate tickets and I think i just found a loophole
. The blond haired, blue eyed Mexican.
edit on 24-3-2012 by regor77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker11

No offense but the whole story changes as soon as the word "illegal" enters in. Those like you who are using the system (all be it a failing one) are not in the same category. Many states are giving up on enforcing laws simply because it is too hard and resources too few. But when you start letting people off (any people) you are on a slippery slope. One thing leads to another, and another, and another. You get it.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

So what is says is as long as you are driving a car that is not registered to you the car cannot be seized. So by proxy a person who cannot legally register a car in his name (like an undocumented individual) they will just need the true owner to get it back for them. I would just start buying cars to rent to illegals. Why not be an entrepenuer.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Its quite ironic. I don't know if any of you have heard this story from earlier. It is doing quite the opposite of what LAPD is doing right now. The Escondido police department has been doing quite illegal stuff in regards with undocumented individuals and their cars. And it is all for profit.
Here is the link: www.kpbs.org...

I reside in California and don't think the police should be doing this. However, I still have to agree with it just because people who are undocumented can't get a driver's license. People will do what they have to do to survive and you can't blame them for that. Many of you in their shoes would enter this country illegally and work in order to support your family and loved ones. I personally would break the law a million times if it meant saving my children and my loved ones from starvation and disease. Not to mention that we should not forget that corporations in the US have been exploiting countries all over the world for cheap labor and resources. In a sense by not deporting them we can at least help mend the injuries we have dealt to their nations and individuals.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VeridianLight

That all sounds great and has a "feel good" message, but the reality if the situation is that The United States of America cannot shoulder the Worlds poor. Of course I would enter America illegally in order to provide for my family, most people would. However, That doesn't change the fact that by ignoring the Laws that are on the books, it sets a very bad example in relation to them assuming that they can brake any Law that we have.

I know many of these people, and most are very good people for that matter, but we can't operate like this in America. These nutcase politicians out here in California just passed a law that gives free College tuition for illegal immigrants. The State is bankrupt, this is absolute insanity. These lunatics need to be thrown out of office and maybe even prosecuted for not keeping their Oath. ~$heopleNation

edit on 24-3-2012 by SheopleNation because: tYPo

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeridianLight
Its quite ironic. I don't know if any of you have heard this story from earlier. It is doing quite the opposite of what LAPD is doing right now. The Escondido police department has been doing quite illegal stuff in regards with undocumented individuals and their cars. And it is all for profit.

I reside in California and don't think the police should be doing this. However, I still have to agree with it just because people who are undocumented can't get a driver's license. People will do what they have to do to survive and you can't blame them for that. Many of you in their shoes would enter this country illegally and work in order to support your family and loved ones. I personally would break the law a million times if it meant saving my children and my loved ones from starvation and disease. Not to mention that we should not forget that corporations in the US have been exploiting countries all over the world for cheap labor and resources. In a sense by not deporting them we can at least help mend the injuries we have dealt to their nations and individuals.

Starvation? How does anyone who can afford stolen identities and fraudulant documents be starving? Knowing how many people have died trying to cross the border or been captured and raped along the way by unscrupulous people, Why would you risk your life like that or the lives of your family in that way? Not to mention the risk of being seperated from your family members once you are here and get deported. Our poor people cannot afford to leave the country for any reason. Our poor people live in tent cities and on the streets even in the coldest of months many do not survive. Our shelters are filled to capacity leaving many out.

Not everyone crossing the border or over staying a visa is an innocent victom. We have laws for a very good reason. It is too late for the thousands of citizens who have lost their lives because of an illegal and our laws not being enforced, too late for those who have been maimed or raped.

Why should any foreigner hold a job before an american citizen? They have families to feed and care for and have been displaced by illegals.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by VeridianLight

Starvation? How does anyone who can afford stolen identities and fraudulant documents be starving? Knowing how many people have died trying to cross the border or been captured and raped along the way by unscrupulous people, Why would you risk your life like that or the lives of your family in that way? Not to mention the risk of being seperated from your family members once you are here and get deported. Our poor people cannot afford to leave the country for any reason. Our poor people live in tent cities and on the streets even in the coldest of months many do not survive. Our shelters are filled to capacity leaving many out.

Not everyone crossing the border or over staying a visa is an innocent victom. We have laws for a very good reason. It is too late for the thousands of citizens who have lost their lives because of an illegal and our laws not being enforced, too late for those who have been maimed or raped.

Why should any foreigner hold a job before an american citizen? They have families to feed and care for and have been displaced by illegals.

For this post you get a fancy star.
You make a very good point. We have our own people to worry about, other than possibly criminal illegal aliens.
Have any of you heard of the panty tree? Theres a big tree near the border where the drug cartels going into our country hang the panties of their rape victims on the tree. Most of these women did not live. These people are coming into our country, smuggling drugs, sickness; we are catering to them, letting them fill our hospitals, while we don't do anything about our own. If any of you dont think thats f'd up, then get out of here

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This topic made me laugh, i have a friend that is a foreigner here in california, this guy is illegal has been here since he was 5 years old and has not been able to aquire a legalization, in other words he is an unlisenced driver, he has been pulled over before for minor traffic violations and is given a ticket and required to go to court for not having a license. His fine comes out to almost $500 for driving with out a license. Plus his fine for the traffic violation he commited. He got his car impounded once and paid $1,085 to release it. He lost his job because he didnt have anyone to take him to work and had to wait the 30 days. Its true that people who drink and drive shouldnt be allowed to even have a car. But when a person is cought drinking and driving with out a license the officer will 1)Arrest the person 2) Impound he car 3) Write down the citation and report. When an illegal imigrant is arrested the ICE takes over and the Imigrant is then sent to a deportation camp where awaits his trial, and eventually deported. My friend is aware of that and because of that he tries his best to avoid commiting a crime which will put him in risk of deportation. And thats where the fairness of the officers comes in. If the person commits a traffic violation he will be given a citation. If the person is cought commiting a crime he will be arrested. Boom simple as that! Carry on.....

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I can only imagine the people that lose their cars and are not illegals. I bet they make enough from the lawsuits to live pretty comfy

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The US sure loves their illegals. Over here, an illegal immigrant is arrested, sent to a detention center and then promptly deported.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Take their car; lock them up and give them equality of real citizen! Then maybe they will start and go home to improve their own country.....

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

If you are an Illegal in CA, you are now a special class of person.

CA, your budget woes and immoral society is your demise. Enjoy your crap sandwich.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
ok so here are a few questions that just kinda pop into my head...

1) Why do I have/need a license
2) Why do I have/need insurance
3) Why do I pay taxes

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join