It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to ignore California impound law amid concern of fairness to illegal immigrants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Apparently the police are against this decision. This is being pushed by the Mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa

blogs.laweekly.com...

Immigrants' rights activists argued that cops were essentially taking the vehicles of those who could least afford this to happen -- undocumented workers who can't legally obtain licenses in California.

Several Latino politicians, including Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, agreed. And few would doubt that LAPD Chief Charlie Beck, in backing the controversial policy change, was bowing to the mayor.

The L.A. police union has been dead against the rule change, arguing that it puts unsafe drivers back on the road and that it's against state law.

The whole purpose of the law preventing illegals from obtaining drivers licenses, is to prevent them from driving, to discourage them from illegally entering the country, and to prevent them from obtaining jobs in the U.S..

Clearly Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is over stepping his authority, and should be kicked out of office.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

sorry, I have intimate knowledge of the process, what I said is true. The city is the big winner in los angeles as it gets the "impound fee" first, before the tow yard gets a thing, often the car isn't worth more then the impound fee these days. What was once a fair system is no longer. part of the issue is here is dealing with this problem. As for the "competition" for tow contracts, there hasn't been any in nearly 30 years. The again my experience in the process is probably not useful here as it adds information and not inflammatory rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Oh I see.. SO the pleas and begging heard for years from the good citizens and taxpayers of Los Angeles has meant nothing to them. Hasn't phased them a bit. In fact, to hear family till out there talk about things, the enforcement has seemed to INCREASE during periods when public bitching reached too high a level.

Oh..but wait... We can solve all that. Simply demonstrate how this law makes life hard for people who are breaking federal law by simply standing here, anywhere in our nation, to begin with. NOW.....We can ease up or just ignore the law entirely.

I'm sure the good citizens and LEGAL TAXPAYERS appreciate the break this gives them too. It's just a shame it took reasoning of making life easier on ILLEGAL (Read: Felony Criminal) aliens to bring about a little common sense and compassion from a city that is known for having little or NONE of either. How sad.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Good for the Police!
You shouldn't just take someone's vehicle because they are illegal immigrants. If the paperwork is in order then I don't see the problem. I realise immigration is a hot potato but singling out these people sounds like racial profiling. If people/companies were prepared to pay an honest and fair pay for an honest day's work then the problem wouldn't be there.
edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar and double sentences

ETA THey pay tax on fuel, insurance, registration, etc so the last part of your argument is moot imho.
edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

Are you on crack dude?
Illegal aliens do not have drivers licenses so their paperwork is not in order as you said...also, they dont buy auto insurance which is mandatory in California, they also dont pay auto registration, etc..they are leeches on society and only pinko-commie liberals would think otherwise.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The whole point I see being missed here is THEY'RE IN THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY! Not only should you take their car, but you should drive them to the border and boot them out. There are many ways to enter this country LEGALLY. How about you give those a try instead of costing legal citizens billions every year

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

...they are leeches on society and only pinko-commie liberals would think otherwise.

And Republican corporocrats think otherwise also. Don't forget about those business moguls whose cost-cutting with cheap labor that are keeping the back door open for them. But that's OK you don't know that, keeping you asleep and unaware is getting votes for the lawmakers who design the backdoors and loopholes while rabble-rousing to get your support.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

It's coming back to haunt them. The State can't get credit, they had to release criminals on the streets, they are in fact technically bankrupt, they have massive taxes, parts of Southern California are so segregated it's insane and now the money producers and largest tax payers are fleeing the State in droves. The US Taxpayers from all States will end up paying for their madness when it all finally fails. I doubt they will say thank you either. The Progressives who caused all this are "entitled" you know.
When they waste all theirs, we will "owe" them what we earned.

It's something in the water. Has to be.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The problem isn't illegal aliens, it's the way you think. They are people just like you and me. Nothing illegal about that.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by elbrujo
The problem isn't illegal aliens, it's the way you think. They are people just like you and me. Nothing illegal about that.

Ok take your line of thinking to any other country and try it out. Then get back to me on that one. The point is everyone else plays by the rules of citizenship they don't and we the legals get to pay for it all.
You must be trolling no one can be that ignorant.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You're truly full of hate of your fellow human beings. Why would it matter that they are here illegally. What would you do if you were in their shoes? Just because they are here illegally does not make them less human. They drive because it's needed for them to feed their families.

I live in Los Angeles and they setup checkpoints in minority areas at 3PM when people are getting out of work and trying to get back to their families. If you lived here you would truly understand. But it's pretty obvious that you do not.

Your hate filled mentality is what's bringing this country down, not the illegals.
Your backwards way of thinking is what is truly wrong with this country. Not just you, but many on reply to this thread. It's sickening.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
see next post computer screwing up.
edit on 23-3-2012 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicConsciousness

So whats next lets give our sympathy to the poor murderers, how about child rapers they get picked on too. Your logic is a complete fail, sure we care about fellow human beings but when you break the law no matter what law that is you pay the price. Without that civilized society can not exist plain and simple. And these people are breaking the law no matter which way you want to twist it, and in the process they are screwing over the legitimate foreigners that are going about it the legal way.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well then, we better start repealing all of those murder laws, as they're just as discriminatory to serial killers as this law is to illegals.

No, really, this is great. Not only is our state welcoming illegal immigrants, and allowing them to take our tax dollars without paying into the system themselves, but now the state is aiding them, and putting them on a high chair, while they continue to enslave the people who are writing their paychecks.

Soon enough this state will collapse. Hopefully it will show to the weakness of such ideologies as are practiced by our state government.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by elbrujo

I dare ya to enter Mexico illegally and then report back to the warm welcome that you
received at the hand of the Mexican military/police.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I heard about this the other day, and my dad and I could not believe it, but at the same time.. we kinda weren't surprised. I only have one question..

Is there a way to revoke my citizenship? Illegals get it better off than natural born citizens here in the US. I'd rather be an illegal.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You ignored my questions, instead of spouting hate, answer the question. What would you do if you were in their shoes?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicConsciousness

You ignored my questions, instead of spouting hate, answer the question. What would you do if you were in their shoes?

That's a loaded question you already know the answer to. Just look at my replies in this thread alone. If your asking me if I would sneak into another country and live under the radar and then bitch about not having the same rights as someone who lives in that country legally then no I wouldn't. And I am not spouting hate, the law is the law and it's people like you that can't comprehend that. Plain and simple theres not much debate to it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Must be nice to pick and choose what laws to follow fact

No license illegal to drive

No license means no insurance which illegal to drive

Pandering for the hispanic vote and racial profiling. I expect this stupidity from California.

From Washington DC to California any law doesn't apply when your hispanic call them what they are RACISTS.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

I dare ya to enter Mexico illegally and then report back to the warm welcome that you
received at the hand of the Mexican military/police.

It is nearly as difficult for an American to enter Mexico illegally as it is for a Mexican to enter the US legally. BUT it is much harder for an American to obtain work in Mexico than it is for a Mexican to obtain work in the US. The US could easily keep unlawful immigrants from obtaining employment or services but the fact of the matter is they have no desire to do so, regardless of what any politician tells you.

ETA: I should offer a clarification here. Many of whom are being called "Mexican" are actually Hispanics from other Central American countries as Honduras, Guatamala, El Salvador, etc. The Mexican economy is actually doing fairly well and the great majority have no desire to leave.

edit on 23-3-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Part of the problem is, 60% of the population of Los Angeles is now illegal. There are literally more illegal people than legal ones living there. The politicians like it this way because illegal people are easy to manipulate. They are poor and desperate, for the most part, and this makes them vulnerable to all manner of political pandering. There is even strong evidence that they've voted in significant numbers. The problem you guys in other states see with much of California is that we've literally been overrun. By and large, these poor immigrants are not thinking people, they are working people, and in mass that makes for a highly volatile and nonsensical political climate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join