It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FINALLY They Found The Cause Of The Wisconsin BOOMs and RUMBLEs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkeyes

All under 3.0
people freak out for no reason

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Oh good heavens!! That swarm on the New Madrid fault looks bad! There's usually a few quakes in that area but I would qualify this as a swarm, which can be a warning sign of a bigger impending quake. Let's hope not.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I would like them to expand their official story by clarifying a few things:

1. Why did the ground shake so hard if it was only a 1.5?
2. Can the rule out other causes rather than a deep fault?
3. Why did the rumblings last so long?
4. Why would such a small deep quake produce such loud sounds?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hmmmm.

Earthquakes in Diverse places...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIlluminatedOne

so a 1.5 earthquake kept the town booming and shaking for 3 days???

Ummm... you wanna eat those words with hot sauce or crow?

Don't believe everything that you read. What's this site's motto? DENY IGNORANCE. Go double check other findings, rationale, explanations. Maybe the townsfolk just needed to hear something more than "we don't know". Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyray

Earthquake study says New Madrid might have fizzled

www.showme.net...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

You do know there are different kinds of earthquakes don't you? And that there are not the same types of rocks on the west coast as on the east coast?

Did you take geology 101??

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
THERES NOT REALLY ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT THE BIG ONE HAPPENS ONCE EVERY 500 YEARS. Some of you people on here are crazy and just trying to scare other people for no reason. Theres nothing we can do about it except wait and Everyone posting on this site will probably be dead of old age before anything major happens on the madrid fault.

Missouri state geologist Joe Gillman said an earthquake the magnitude of the 1811-12 quakes is expected to happen just once every 500 years. But a moderate quake with a magnitude 6.0 to 6.5 is expected to happen every 90 years, and the last one was in the late 1800s.

Researchers led by a Northwestern University scientist have produced a series of studies — the most recent appearing in the journal Nature two months ago — concluding that the New Madrid zone is shutting down as a generator of major quakes. The hundreds of small temblors that still rumble through the region annually, they say, appear to be nothing more than aftershocks from the massive quakes of 1811-12.

www.showme.net...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The hundreds of small temblors that still rumble through the region annually

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Researchers led by a Northwestern University scientist have produced a series of studies — the most recent appearing in the journal Nature two months ago — concluding that the New Madrid zone is shutting down as a generator of major quakes. The hundreds of small temblors that still rumble through the region annually, they say, appear to be nothing more than aftershocks from the massive quakes of 1811-12.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
A 1.5 is "the big one" for the 188 day cycle?

Sheesh, my I should turn my stereo down a little.....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Alright guys, I'm about to drive up to Montello for my friends baby shower. I'm getting so freaked out that I'm even starting to have second thoughts of going...
I dunno, I know I'm just overreacting, but it's like. a;sdjf;alksjf;lakjsdf;lad. scary

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
reply to post by TheIlluminatedOne

Since when does it take 86 hours to check the seizmos? I can see how it might take 86 hours to forge seizmograph recordings to back up a false explanation though. And when was the last time they told you what street a quake started under? That sounds like a little extra flavor that somebody threw in to create room for argument in case the story came under scrutiny.

"well yeah it was small, but a direct hit- right under main street". if it had been a few feet to the left it would have gone unnoticed like every other 1.5 earthquake in history, but when it's right under mainstreet a 3.0 would have rang a church bell 5,000 miles away.

PWNDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
WTF is everyone going on about New Madrid and 188 days for? That is not and has never been the focus of this WI boom investigation. People who have axes to grind with the 188-day-doomers or the New-Madrid-doomers should take that #### elsewhere. It's getting old. This is a genuine field of intrigue; guilt-by-association will not work here.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
These noises have been heard worldwide - not just in Wisconsin.

What's the point...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Some of you people on here are crazy and just trying to scare other people for no reason.

Way to bolster your case, by putting other people down and assuming you know their motives.

First of all, geologists have often had to eat crow when strong earthquakes happen in places that they swore had no fault zones. Secondly, you post information on the New Madrid, and then make fun of people for noticing the earthquake swarms. Thirdly, your attitude of superiority is not only NOT justified, it's just plain irritating.

If YOU don't believe that anything earthquake wise is going to happen for a long, long time, that's fine, although I marvel at your ability to predict the geological future with absolute certainty. I believe that people who live in areas prone to quakes need to be prepared "just in case". That is not "fear-mongering" or "scaring people for no reason", it is the smart way to live.

Lastly, although this thread is about the strange booming and shaking going on in Wisconsin, I feel it necessary to correct your thoughts about the New Madrid:

news.sciencemag.org...

On official maps of the risk of future seismic shaking, the threat to New Madrid rivals that in the famously shaky western United States. But a few seismologists have argued that the risk to the New Madrid area is past, so residents across hundreds of kilometers from Memphis to New Madrid to St. Louis can lower their guard.

Don't believe such optimism, says an eight-member expert panel convened by the National Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council, which advises the director of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). In a report, USGS announced today, the panel concludes that "the New Madrid Seismic zone is at significant risk for damaging earthquakes." Although some have proposed that the threat is past, the panel continues, "We and most other experts consider this claim unlikely." So construction in the central United States should continue to meet quake-resistant standards.

There is "fear-mongering" and there is facing reality.....and then there are some clowns who continue to say "all is well" as the S is hitting the F.

As I stated previously, if I lived in that area of Wisconsin, I would NOT believe the official story, and I WOULD NOT let my guard down. Nothing is a certainty in the universe except change. Prepare for it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'll admit, I haven't read through pages of this thread, but has anyone considered that these noises might've caused the seismic reading, and not the other way around?

We've all heard a car drive past us in town with the bass so loud that it made windows rattle.

Whatever's causing the "noise", maybe the trembling is a result.

edit on 23-3-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
well regardless of what it was and why it was there
SOMETHING needs to happen somewhere. the suspense
has got me to the point i want to shave my cat just to see a
change in something. everything seams to be a big stalemate,
or is it just me?

P.S. no animals were harmed in the posting of this thread.
i would never shave my cat thats just mean......but my neighbors dog
on the other hand....
edit on 23-3-2012 by omegacorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's a volcano or a sinkhole.

Wisconsin is sitting on a volcano.

How convenient that is a earthquake.

That was no earthquake.

Wow it only took them 4 days to do a proper investigation? Please.

I wouldn't believe this story with a 10 foot pole.
edit on 23-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

yeah i see your point, but then wouldnt that mean
it was sky based? if it came from the ground and caused the
atmosphere to reverberate the " noise " back to the ground thats
a similar action as haarp. im not buy any means saying it was haarp or
a haarp like complex. just thinking for your theory the most likely origin would
be sky based IE: plane, balloon, satellite, or that new orbital plane thats been up there
for over a year. so dose any of this make sense? lol.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join