It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things Veterans Want To Say To You. (Veterans Inner Monologue)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
OK, I came across this today and thought that although comedic, it carries a few important and very real points. I know some will say this belongs in jokes and if it is moved there than so be it. So many people say things to veterans without taking into account the context in which we may see it.

I have been asked if combat is like video games more times than I can count. The truth is, there is no comparison. It's one of those, you just have to experience it kind of things.

Another one is there are people who think everyone joins the military because they couldn't do any better.
So not true.

And the most important one. The all popular, did you kill anyone. I think the video provided a good answer for that one. I personally feel very uncomfortable when asked that question because it does bring back memories for me. Not so nice ones if you get my drift. I personally believe that is an incredibly insensative and rude question to ask in most cases.

I still get annoyed by this one. Dude your in the military, do you know my friens so and so, they serve blah da blah. Yeah buddy I know everyone just because I serve.

And just for a little motivation. Semper Fi.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Amen brother, especially the one at 4:10 is great. I hate that question as well. I must admit that sometimes my inner monologue has come out on people at times. very good thread, S&F for you.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

As I have to keep manners & decorum, Star & Flag Brother! Those are indeed the most common questions ever asked of me, and the most common response in my head. I also get the folks that were in the Service that always say they wanted to be Infantry too.... Thankfully I got it right the first time. People do ask inconceivable questions without understanding the ramifications of said questions. One of these days I will get around to posting pictures of a car-bomb vs humvee incident in Iraq when I figure out how to do it, and when I can stand to look at the pictures without driving myself into depression. For those who never fought for the flag will never know what the flag means to those that did.

29INFDIV

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Classic. 9 years US Army here, and I'll tell you that I can relate to many of those questions. Though, I have to admit, I'm not quite as cynical as it's been portrayed here, I just chalk it up to people's curiousity and ignorance (though I do have to snicker when people ask if I know "Steve", which does happen amazingly enough). Still, the points are very salient, especially the question about kills. Thanks for sharing...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Absolutely AWESOME find. It is so perfect and so true.

Been asked all those questions! Had pretty much the same response as all of them as well. The most frequent one is the "talk back to the drill instructor". Always funny.

Hey, you ppl who say that. HAHAHHAHA. Douche!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
Amen brother, especially the one at 4:10 is great. I hate that question as well. I must admit that sometimes my inner monologue has come out on people at times. very good thread, S&F for you.

Yea, mine too. But I try to remember they just don't have any clue. They think it is all movies and stuff and are genuinely curious. No one in the states really understands the stuff going on and a "yes" is a bit of a wake-up factor for them. That, and they really didn't want to hear that anyhow. They want to hear "no" and they can feel safe in their delusion that the war is clean and no one really gets hurt except for an occasional terrorist or two. They kind of get a shocked look on their face.

BTW, I knew a guy with two knife kills (out of ammo clearing a bldg) when I was back in Germany. He was a little nuts. He was tellin stories one day after a few drinks and demonstrated his kills on some fat civvy who was asking the question. That dude never asked stuff like that of anyone again. I think it scared the crap out of him.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29INFDIV

As I have to keep manners & decorum, Star & Flag Brother! Those are indeed the most common questions ever asked of me, and the most common response in my head. I also get the folks that were in the Service that always say they wanted to be Infantry too.... Thankfully I got it right the first time. People do ask inconceivable questions without understanding the ramifications of said questions. One of these days I will get around to posting pictures of a car-bomb vs humvee incident in Iraq when I figure out how to do it, and when I can stand to look at the pictures without driving myself into depression. For those who never fought for the flag will never know what the flag means to those that did.

29INFDIV

Amen, and leave the pics alone bro. You have them, they are there, that is enough. Besides, even if you post it, it won't mean the same thing to the people who weren't there and couldn't smell it, see it, feel it, or taste it. They will think it is "cool". There is no point. And, it just brings up more questions.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bakatono

After some thinking, I think more appropriate pictures should be the picture of the sign post pointing to Amsterdam, Disney World... etc.. All of what those pictures have become is just a story, but a reality all veterans with a CIB, CAB, CAR live daily. That's the sad truth nobody wants to understand. I believe that is what the OP is pointing out. (I abbreviated combat decorations for those that have them will recognize.)

29INFDIV

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Loved this, ESP the part about talking back to a DI
The pogs never learn...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I camn't watch the videos right now but I wanted to put something here as a civvie.

I never served but have family and friends who are or have served. My brother is going on his 21st year this year. A couple of uncles that served. A couple of Great uncles who served during WW2. No I don't know what it is like but yes I have some idea in a round about way. I have never, ever asked a stupid question like is it like a video game or have you killed anyone. Anyone who asks stupid questions like that need a freakin' slap. Ya great job, dragging up memories that for most in my experience with vets, want to be left buried in the place they belong.

My brother served in Bosnia, Kosovo, Eritrea, Somalia. My Great uncles fought through Sicily and landed on Juno on D-Day. I have a few friends who have done multiple tours in Afghanistan and they are in RCR or PPLI. I never asked them about what happened or what they did. My brother has talked about his experiences with me now and then. My Uncles, before they died told me a few stories about WW2. I have never asked my friends about going into the sandbox.The only thing I have asked my brother is....

"you ok man? need to talk?"

Anyone who asks a question like have you killed someone needs to be slapped up side the head.

No, I don't know what it's like personally. Yes, I have heard plenty of stories from people who do. I don't ask, I just listen.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I never got the "Did you kill anybody" deal. I always go out of my way to not even get within a 100 mile radius of that question. I was/am always scared that it will bring up terrible memories for that person. I am not sure why anyone would not think about that before they asked.

S&F. I enjoyed the video and hopefully some folks learned a thing or two.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I guess you have to look at it from both sides. While asking someone if they have killed someone in combat could be considered rude or even off-handed, some people are just generally curious about things they don't understand and want to understand. There's really nothing morbid about it except the question itself.

It's like someone asking me if getting tattoos hurt. I feel like punching them and saying "does that hurt?" So yeah I get it from that perspective.

I have done ambulance service and seen things today I can't and have never discussed, nor will I. It's just too harrowing to relive, and people who ask just get a polite diversion or a stony silence. But even though there are idiots who just want a rise or have some morbid fascination with death, I think most people want to understand that human element of war, and not just the brain-deadening drivel we experience in movies or games, and certainly not any disrespect of what you, as a person, has been through.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

I have done ambulance service and seen things today I can't and have never discussed, nor will I. It's just too harrowing to relive, and people who ask just get a polite diversion or a stony silence.

I am a volunteer firefighter and we are also the first responders for our area for car accidents. Although I haven't been for that long, I have already seen some things that I won't talk about. It's not easy sometimes, especially where kids are involved. It iws not even in the same ballpark as combat but I also get people who ask questions about some of the accidents and what not and my response is basically the same as yours.

But even though there are idiots who just want a rise or have some morbid fascination with death, I think most people want to understand that human element of war, and not just the brain-deadening drivel we experience in movies or games, and certainly not any disrespect of what you, as a person, has been through.

I believe, or maybe hope is the better word, that you're right in that assumption.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Amen Templar, I'm was an EMT as well, also worked in an ER, some stuff is funny, other things, well, we won't go there.

new topics

top topics

join