It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD Networks Completely Compromised, Experts Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The Defense Department’s (DoD) computer networks have been totally compromised by foreign spies, according to federal cybersecurity experts. The experts, speaking before the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities, say current efforts to protect those networks are misguided at best.

Please read the article for further info and links.
Source

Well, I'll keep this short. Is anyone really surprised? I mean really surprised. They try to force the extradition of a so-called NASA hacker from the UK to face charges and punishment in the US for several years now but when you look at how they conduct their own systems it's a shambles. One more little piece from the article.

So, the DoD can’t protect its networks but we're supposed to think the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will be able to protect those in the private sector? That legislation is still out there, and it's making me more nervous every day.

Computer and network security shouldn't be that difficult, when you do it right and have the money and resources of the US government, surely?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well Gee I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were not many people on the inside.

So no not that hard to imagine. Especially when you give them the username and password.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They need to stop recruiting College graduates for the creative thinking and hard strategic planning of network security. Just bite the bullet and admit they can't recruit the poster boy and have it work out as intended. They need to make the money and the nationalistic call strong enough to attract the best of the white/grey and yes...even the black hats (that are willing to give the lighter side of life a try).

If they start actually headhunting and using what criminals have been exploiting for years, they might just start having some success in beating back the cyber hordes at the gates. However.....while places like China train little armies to farm gold in our MMORPG's..between sessions hacking serious targets...and the rest of the world is just the wild west for people to really become masters at this, what does U.S. Domestic Law Enforcement/Intelligence continue to do?

4yr college experience a must.

LOL..... Yeah... That works well for a strong and very helpful part of a resume, but they seek people to work in a world where they just can't train the experience it takes to even walk in and be taken seriously. They'll be playing catch-up in a game that has NO tolerance for it, until that dawns on Government bureaucrats in general, IMHO.

(hops off soapbox)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Maybe they should just outsource it to India or China like the rest of industry does?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

In the current situation of almost constant bombardment by hackers in those nations, among others...lol....They kinda have already, haven't they?

It just isn't the work to outsource they'd have asked for, or the team spirit they had in mind. Hacking Uncle Sam definitely seems to be a hot job for outsourced markets though.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This is why I will never use a Cloud to store my information.
Somebody, some day, is going to hack it.
Might as well post on Facebook for all the security these cloud programs provide.
However, it might be safer than a government computer.
Then again, my info is probably already there.
(Sigh)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
So, is Megatron ready to attack?

Seriously though, this does not surprise me,,,,well it kind of does.

If people write code, then people can break code.....

It looks like we need to go back to the super typewriter.

The computer age kind of sucks, everything is so complicated, yet if you are a computer genius hacker, it is quite simple.

We need to adopt the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is the same government that wants to collect all this detailed and confidential data on every aspect of its citizen's lives? The end result would be a buffet of personal information just waiting for the taking by organized crime, hacktivists and foreign spies.

top topics

join