It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimp found in Antarctica, whats next?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by vister74

Right you are. Here is a link I found about thermal vents NEAR Antarctica.
I expect this kind of thing near the warmth of the vents, but up so high in the cold water. It seemed crazy to me.
I'll see what I can find regarding the temperature of the water in the drill hole.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
maybe its a cold water shrimp!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Water temperature averages a comparatively balmy 33oF. Salt water temperature will drop to about 280F before it freezes.[1]post by txMEGAlithic[/url]

According to this site, the water isn't as cold as I would have guessed. Around 30 degrees is cold, don't get me wrong. This is talking about salt water.....Is the water under the ice sheets fresh water or salt? I assumed when they say 'Lake' under the ice they are referring to fresh water.

More on Antarctica
A few interesting bits of info on this site.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What's next you ask? Let's see, we have shrimp(small creature) in south, I would imagine we find giants in the Arctic north. My 2.2222 cents. Xenongod

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

Nice find OP snf
. Now consider lake Vostok also in the near region and what may be there. Noticed its been very a quiet subject since they almost were into it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

I LOVED that episode!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
post by Ophiuchus 13

Yeah they did get quiet about all the Lake Vostok stuff. I think this is why.

Despite the success, a bitterness lingers among Russian scientists that they were forced to suspend drilling for years over international criticism of their environmental standards. To answer concerns that drilling fluid could pollute the pristine lake, the Russian team engineered new technology.

.....or is this the reason 'they' are giving us. Could be more to it I guess
Heres the site link

edit on 23-3-2012 by txMEGAlithic because: (no reason given)

Question.......How do I make the box above say : Offsite content? can any one point me in the right direction
The content of that box isn't a quoted post. Is a quote from that website.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Makes me wonder what's lurking under the ice in the oceans of moons like Europa.

Life finds a way.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

Yes, absolutely. Glad to see somebody else reference that episode. That is one of my faves.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

Cool video. The one thing I noticed after watching the shrimp is why is the ice patterned like that? What are those black sections in the ice and why are they so uniformed and consistent all the way down? Doesn't really look like sediment which is what I thought at first. Hmmm?

I think the "black sections" could be Fata Morgana, which is a fancy way of saying Mirage.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
He's just a tiny little guy, idn't he?

Pretty neat stuff!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join