It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrimp found in Antarctica, whats next?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Searching around Youtube, I came across this. NASA caught this little creature on video while trying to get the first ever video from below the McMurdo ice shelf in Antarctica. The little visitor looks pretty much like a shrimp. It swims around the hole in the ice very gracefully. It stops to rest on the camera cable. It's pretty clear, especially if you watch it in full screen.

Also found some information on it. I didn't really see anything on any NASA sites.
CNN - NASA discovers life
Its amazing how a fragile creature could live in the extreme cold. I can't wait to see more from below Antarctica's ice.
Of course, let me know what your thoughts are. Did you expect this? Is it a surprise to you as it is to me? I didn't think much beyond bacteria and microbes would exist down there.

The creature, a Lyssianasid amphipod, could lead the way for larger expeditions into harsher environments that scientists previously believed could not support life – both on the Earth and even frozen moons in outer space.

I hope it does.

TXML

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Im very interested to hear more about this and to see what else they possibly find.

It brings to mind the X-Files episode "Ice"

When an Arctic research team mysteriously kill each other and themselves only days after drilling deeper into the ice than ever before, Mulder and Scully accompany a team of doctors and scientists to investigate. They discover an organism which infects living creatures and amplifies the host’s feeling of anger and paranoia, and the new team starts to deteriorate as they wonder who among them are killers. Guest starring Xander Berkeley and Felicity Huffman.

en.wikipedia.org...(season_1)

Cheers
edit on 22-3-2012 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Whats next you say? Simple, throw that shrimp on the barbie!

Zing!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by txMEGAlithic

Cool video. The one thing I noticed after watching the shrimp is why is the ice patterned like that? What are those black sections in the ice and why are they so uniformed and consistent all the way down? Doesn't really look like sediment which is what I thought at first. Hmmm?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Really COOL!!!

That is really neat. I never would of thought little shrimp could live in that cold..... I wonder if those shrimp make for better bait.....

reply to post by mark1167

I would assume those were created by what ever drilled or made that hole...... but that's just my opinion.
edit on 22-3-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Crawfish anyone??

(mmmmmm, crawfish.......
)
edit on 22-3-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So where can I find a buffet of these little guys with spicy sauce? He looks delicious!

Serious...I'm just beside myself waiting to see what they find in the depths of Vostok and it's downright warm water. If Shrimp is living out on the shelf near McMurdo, who knows what may be elsewhere..

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

I would assume those were created by what ever drilled or made that hole...... but that's just my opinion.

It almost looks metallic to me. I can understand the pressures on the ice at that depth and though it might be thousands of years of sediment being compressed into that pattern but I'm not to sure if that's it. I'm not trying to get off topic but it's very curious. I loved how the shrimp was fascinated with the cable.It looked like he was just excited to find something interesting that he never experienced before.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

I guess it is that time of year.

I agree. The pattern is from the drilling. In my landscaping adventures I've seen similar patterns when using an auger to dig the holes for the plants. Granted it was in dirt, not ice. But the drill bit would make shinny marks in the hole all the way down in a pattern.

edit on 22-3-2012 by txMEGAlithic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Love is in the air!
Ok I see the pattern could be from the drilling but what is the black stuff? Is it residue from the drill?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
That looks like some sort of screen or sleeve that just melted into the wall. It reminds me of a Stent they implant into arteries to keep them open in people. Perhaps something similar for the same purpose in their bore hole?

edit on 22-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Corrected my spelling of Stent..ty

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

That's a good question. I remember something about some fluids that were used in the drilling at Vostok. Could be some kind of lubricant or antifreeze cut and mashed into the ice. It does seem odd. Ima do some looking.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You could be right. Some sort of sleeve that is embedded after the drill cuts , so maybe they don't have a cave in.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I don't know what this is all about but you may be right about the metal 'stent'
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It has something to do with ice coring.
I cant find any pictures of holes drilled in ice that have that kind of pattern.
not a single one

I

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Simply amazing...thanks for the post. I shall return the favour with a story about James Cameron and his attempt to dive the depths of the Mariana trench.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 22/3/12 by ironbutterflyrusted because: mistake corrected

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I found a bit more...

What you're seeing here, and in the movie below, is a camera looking up from inside a hole deep in the ice. The camera is mounted on a pole, which you can also see. The dark, scalloped ridges you see in ice are caused by the special drill the scientists used, which is essentially a jet of warm water that slowly melts the ice away.

Source

I guess it makes sense..and the perspective they explain this was taken at makes me feel dizzy to watch the video now. lol... Interesting ways they solve the problems down on the Ice there.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Someone needs to punch paul hogan right in the nose

I, as a BBQ loving Aussie, have never seen someone putting a prawn on a bbq. Might as well put a packet of 2 minute noodles on one.. lol

Ahh plus, you can bet this little guy would taste bland. you'd need a bucket of them to make a paste.

edit on 22-3-2012 by mainidh because: my fingers are hitting everything but the letters I want ..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Looks like Will who's looking for Bill in Happy Feet 2!!

2nd.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by Swills

Someone needs to punch paul hogan right in the nose

I, as a BBQ loving Aussie, have never seen someone putting a prawn on a bbq. Might as well put a packet of 2 minute noodles on one.. lol

Ahh plus, you can bet this little guy would taste bland. you'd need a bucket of them to make a paste.

edit on 22-3-2012 by mainidh because: my fingers are hitting everything but the letters I want ..

I, as a stereotype loving Englishman, find that very very disappointing!
Anyhow, must dash, off to the polo and afterwards a spot of tea and scones.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
we should not be too surprised that the shrimp was found in an extreme enviroment, didnt we find crabs or something living near superheated chimmneys on the sea bed or something

top topics

<<   2 >>

join