It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Museum discovers 'new' Van Gogh painting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

A painting dismissed for years as the work of an unknown artist has been identified as a piece by Vincent Van Gogh, after x-rays revealed an image of two wrestlers fighting underneath the floral still life. "Still Life with Meadow Flowers and Roses" has hung in the Kroeller-Mueller Museum in the town of Otterlo, in the eastern Netherlands, since 1974, but doubts over its authorship have dogged the painting for decades.

I'm a pretty big fan of Van Gogh, and was just at his exhibit in Philadelphia on Friday so I thought I'd share this article on ATS. They were hesitant to declare this one a Van Gogh, but after an X-ray this discovered this underneath it..

They then knew it was his because he actually writes about the wrestlers in his diary and how he covered over it.

Van Gogh wrote about the wrestlers picture -- which he painted as an assignment during his studies at the art academy in Antwerp -- in a letter in January 1886: "This week I painted a large thing with two nude torsos -- two wrestlers,"

I have to say the brush strokes of the flowers in the painting don't look like his usual work and there isn't much yellow like his others, but the motif of the flowers in a vase is. He really enjoyed drawing flowers and has several other pieces with other types such as sunflowers here's some other work just so you can compare.

If anybody's around the Philadelphia area I defiantly recommend you check out the exhibit, its quite a collection of works. I think it runs till the end of May or something like that.

And here's the last one he ever composed for the heck of it, by the end of his life he had a pretty troubled mind but I honestly think that's one of the reasons why he was such a great painter.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Gotta love some Van Gogh!!

That dude was a serious artist.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Awesome. Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

It's a cool find but I'd rather see an M C Escher any day of the week.

ETA I got dragged to that museum by my ex. I did not particularly enjoy the experience if I remember rightly. I probably saw the picture in question but it just isn't my thing.
edit on 22/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I don't understand the two nude wrestlers, couldnt he of drawn two women dancing, or to dogs fighting, why two nude men? lol, cool painting though

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

M C Escher's another one of my favorites especially this work..

This one too..

And you didn't enjoy it how come? I wanted to check out the Academy of Fine Arts too because they have a Henry Ossawa Tanner exhibit right now but I ended up running out of time. Might have to make another trip back down there before its over.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I do enjoy the artists of the past. That being said I also really enjoy present artists as their bodies of work are ever expanding day by day. Here are some that will surely be remembered by future generations ( sorry I'm not sure how to embed images here, so I'll provide links)

Here are two painters to keep an eye on...and yes they are painters even though you may not believe your eyes at first!

Jeremy Geddes - www.jeremygeddesart.com...

Glenray Tutor - www.glennraytutor.com...

Their talent and attention to detail is mind boggling!!

Here's a photographer I enjoy;

JeanYves Lemoignne - jeanyveslemoigne.com...

Another great artist who has become a lot more mainstream in the past couple of years due to his exposure on sites like " TheChive" is Banksy ( I prefer his outside art versus his inside art but both are great as well!)

Banksy - www.banksy.co.uk...

Enjoy!

PS - If someone could let me know how to embed images on here, I'd love to post an example of each of the artists works under their links for a better visual effect, thanks.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

A god forsaken place in the middle of nowhere with stuff that didn't interest me much. I'm not into Van Gogh or any artist really, so far anyway. Dali and Escher appeal to my distorted sense of reality I guess but that's about all I've found I liked so far.

When you have someone (who knows the subject) who can explain why Van Gogh was so good then it helps, but that to me at least, destroys the point of looking at it. Unusual brush techniques, incredible colours or secret and/or unique recipes to make paints isn't really apparent to me when just looking at something so I just would rather not bother. Rembrandt, Jan Steen and a few others (non Dutch) are nice to look at but Van Gogh? Not for me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Now that my friend is way more my style. The first one in your list is fantastic and with a great sense of ...hmm, what's the word? Emotion? Power? In any case, very nice.
I thought I was looking at manipulated photos but no, it really is a painting. Man bombing through a window, astronauts falling from the sky, powerful images that need no explanation.

As for linking, I don't think they would fit which would (imho) detract from the images but should you feel like trying, here is a thread that explains how to "Do everything" post-wise on ATS. I keep it in my subscribed threads for reference and to point other people at. Explained in simple terms and covers the whole range of content here on ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 23/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

top topics

join