It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega Millions jackpot hits $290 million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

What's better than getting rich through hard work, talent, and sacrifice? Winning the lottery, of course. The Mega Millions jackpot is up to a whopping $290 million. Anticipation is running high ahead of Friday's drawing.

news.yahoo.com...

Looks like we are going to have a brand new JOB CREATOR in our midst soon!

If i win, i'm putting it all in the Cayman islands.

Good luck folks!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Too bad that so much of it will go to the Govt. in taxes tho. Always wondered why that is. Just can't seem to leave any pocket alone can they?

Great thing about Canada is if you win the lotto, you get it...in full. No tax because why should there be?

Peace

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I am planning on winning so donate away to the pot so that I can win more!!
2nd...........

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Too bad that so much of it will go to the Govt. in taxes tho. Always wondered why that is. Just can't seem to leave any pocket alone can they?

If i walked away with 5 million of that I wouldn't complain, would give most of it away anyway. No one needs that much 290 million...or half that after taxes...which is still an insane amount of money. If you got a decent house and food bills are taken care of for life...along with top notch schooling for your kids, not much else is needed.

Great thing about Canada is if you win the lotto, you get it...in full. No tax because why should there be?

Yeah, that's remarkable. Universal health care over there too. We're a bunch of dumbasses over here. Do Canadians often laugh at the stupid southerners below them?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm almost tempted to say that the argument that lottery winnings shouldn't be taxed is asinine, but I won't make that argument. Instead, I will remind all readers of this thread that the reason lottery winnings are taxed is because it's direct cash income in the form of gambling winnings, and the 16th Amendment clearly and broadly defines the right and responsibility of the Federal government to tax income. There you have it.

Now as far as the *rate* at which these huge lotteries are taxed is concerned, well it's not much different from your basic income tax rate for most Americans. No one who wins a major or minor jackpot has any business complaining about taxes they had to pay, considering that they stand to gain many thousands or millions of dollars that they'd otherwise not have, and almost completely through blind fate, rather than labor.
edit on 3/22/2012 by mahajohn because: grammar

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thats the same as here in the UK.

A couple won £131 million a few months back, they pocketed the lot...no tax
Think that works out to just shy of $270,000,000.

Ive never won more than £10 on the lottery lol

EDIT: Tell a lie it was £161m by a couple called Colin and Chris Weir....jammy buggers lol
Getting confused as there have been a few massive wins this year..and last.

edit on 22-3-2012 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I always get the fever after a jp goes above 100 million. I still only buy 1 ticket. as that is all that's needed.

I agree with one of the above posters that much money is insane. Reminds me of the video about the 100 million dollar penny. Its pretty good and about the 16 trillion that went missing, but still will give you a sense of the magnitude.

I would have to say that a good 5+million is all I would need if no inflation occurred.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The strange thing here is that in california it is called the state lottery but the winners are from other states in the US

as for the taxes on that amount it really does not matter if you pay 30 or 45 % taxes you still end up with a nice amount to play with.

As for what i would do with it if i would win........

donate some
randomly spent a bunch
start a foundation that will fund investigation into topics like we talk about here

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Am I the only one who would have no problem finding a way to blow 240 million?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by cayote
The strange thing here is that in california it is called the state lottery but the winners are from other states in the US

as for the taxes on that amount it really does not matter if you pay 30 or 45 % taxes you still end up with a nice amount to play with.

As for what i would do with it if i would win........

donate some
randomly spent a bunch
start a foundation that will fund investigation into topics like we talk about here

California has the Super Lotto and the Mega Millions which is comprised of a dozen or so states....the Super Lotto is for California residents only.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Am I the only one who would have no problem finding a way to blow 240 million?

First off, you don't get the full 290 mil, in my state if I took the lump sum I would have an insane 154.5 mil.

Seriously blow that much? I could easily blow a few million (I don't see purchasing multimillion dollar mansions as a genuinely good idea, although I would rent one just for the smeg of it).

I actually had been thinking on this subject. There is a place in Pennsylvania that does about a million pounds of food per year on 3 acres. I would love to get that mastered and figure out ways to have that put out on a large scale, big agro would probably sue me but so what, people don't need to starve due to profits.

Get that setup in major areas that have food shortages, people starving.

I think that one step would be great enough for me to be happy to give back to the world.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Very nice jackpot. Think of all the people we could help with that money!! Of course, I would need an expensive sport car to drive around to help all of those people

Good luck all you ticket holders!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Ok, so 150 million.

I would actually invest it to make more money.

Because the amount of philanthropy I would do, would have it gone in no time.

Supporting women's businesses in third world countries, building rec centers, drug rehab programs, the works.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I went to check my ticket and I got a little excited, only for a few seconds.

I got the first and second number right

Fri, Mar 23Megaplier® X4
06 17 19 20 21 20

lotto link

I took a pic of it just for laughs. I have to install adobe again for some reason.

290 mil....man oh man

edit on 23-3-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wow, now its 356 million!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Oh, I had assumed it would be selfish spending.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

That would buy one hell of an underground bunker fully stocked with everything.

never pay an electric, water,or gas bill again

and have some cows, chickens, goats(nah I hate goats), horses, and a couple of minorities to tend them

I can only dream.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I kid you not, I just got three numbers right on the draw tinight.

I am happy because I need the 7 bucks, but man
Three numbers off the jackpot.

I can only dream.

It looks like LJ01 will report to work in the morning

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
up to 464 million now.

I forgot to get tickets the last 2 times..lol. I did get some this morning though.

I can't imagine having that kind of money.....would give most of it away. No one needs that much.

Now i can fantasize on how many of my problems would go away for a few days....until the drawing when i see that i have lost yet again.

At least it's good entertainment.

edit on 28-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I bought 5 today and my ticket says 500 million...But I guess what is 30 or so million when you are talking a half of a billion dollars.

It keeps going up,

I could make "Junkietown".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join