It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My view on depression

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Anxiety. I have very bad anxiety. Its more social than anything, when meeting someone new or walking through a crowded place, I feel myself lock up and sometimes forget to breathe. I go to the Doctor about it, she says its just a panic attack. She gives me Kolonopin, which is a drug for anxiety. But also Zoloft...?

Why is anxiety automatically attached with depression. Personally, depression doesn't even make since to me.

People get depressed, everyone gets depressed. Your dog died, that's a good reason to be depressed. Okay, okay, you have been diagnosed with an illness, that's a pretty good one too. Or, maybe, you wrecked your car then lost your job because of it. There are a millions of reasons someone can become depressed, people get depressed on a daily basis.

But why does someone stay depressed. I don't get it at all, how can someone be depressed all of the time, enough of the time to have to take daily medicine for it. Does the reason for someone being depressed actually consume the persons thoughts, and mental feelings?

The way I look at it, is... Yeah I'm sad right now, but during the day I am still going to laugh at jokes and have fun with friends. I am still going to do what I always do even though I am sad because there is always a tomorrow.
There's always a tomorrow, everyone knows that. No matter how bad things get, there's always a tomorrow.

Right now my family isn't happy with me, I'm in lots of debt because of hospital bills, and I am living with people I do not know and have one friend. Am I depressed? Is this practical reasoning for being depressed?

No. Right now I'm happy, and later when I think about those things I am aloud to be depressed, then after that I will be happy again. Its a cycle, and I know it is. I do not need medicine for depression, I need medicine for my anxiety.

Yes, I've explained this to my docter, she still thinks I need to take the depressants for my anxiety. Depressants don't do anything for me, except make me feel boooorrrrrringggggg and less of myself. I just get a little flustered when it comes to strangers, is that so hard to understand?

Thanks doc

edit on 22-3-2012 by jakupairs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jakupairs

For every action there is a reaction. Depression is that reaction. I've had bouts of depression several times before, and usually when it hits it gets worse. I realized, however, that depression is directly linked to one or a variety of things that you do not feel comfortable with. Sometimes you can control them, other times you cannot. Typically, when I would fall into depression, it would snowball, because, in a counter-intuitive sense, I would do nothing. This in turn led me to become more depressed because the weight and guilt of doing nothing added to my depression. When I get down, I sit and think, "Why am I upset? What is causing this?" Sometimes I don't have the answer, but usually it's because I'm not doing something that I should be doing and it shakes my confidence. If I'm ever coupled with something that I cannot change (for example, a close friend of mine died a few years ago), I force myself to realize that there is nothing I can do about it, in the instance I gave before, I will never get my friend back, but that's how it is and that's okay, and to be honest, doing nothing and wallowing about that sort of thing accomplishes nothing. What can I do to change whatever might be bringing me down? I can live, that's what I can do.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I had a friend, and his name was Noah. his thyroid muscle quickly began to deteriorate, and it eventually died. He had a lot of friends, was a hell of an athlete, loved God, and his family meant more than anything else in the world. He began to change, he became isolated and stopped smiling. He started to miss a lot of school, and his grades and athletics went downhill. He was gone for four days during the school week, he was supposed to be staying at a friends, his family was out of town.

On December 5th, his body was found. He killed himself by a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and nobody knew why until after the autopsy. His thyroid died, and he didn't feel anything. Happiness, sadness, guilt, anger, frustration, nothing. He felt nothing.

Depression is real.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

Wow. Sorry I don't think I came across very clear. I just do not understand why people like me, every day ordinary people would need depression medicene expecially when I only have anxiety.

Ofcourse, If I lose a limb I would go into deep depression too.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakupairs
reply to post by RomeByFire

Wow. Sorry I don't think I came across very clear. I just do not understand why people like me, every day ordinary people would need depression medicene expecially when I only have anxiety.

Ofcourse, If I lose a limb I would go into deep depression too.

zoloft is anxiety medicine, i'm unsure of the other one. many of them are interrelated some may be for anxiety or depression, that doesn't mean your doctor thinks you have depression. depression and many anxiety disorders are more than likely tied to brain chemical imbalances and are very real.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

My doctor told me that anxiety and depression go hand in hand. I have gone repeatedly (to multiple doctors!) seeking help for my very consuming anxiety. I've been anxious since I was a kid. I border OCD. My kids are also anxious. But none of are depressed! I'll go through bouts. But it's because things have gone to complete crap! A death, severe illness, my son who has a somewhat severe (it CAN be severe if I don't stay on top of it) divorce, etc. But I'm fine and happy most of the time. I just have panic attacks. Driving and being around crowds brings them out. There are a few other things, but it's pretty sporadic.
They try to force feed me depression medications. I took something (if the name pops into my head, I'll come back) and it made me feel awful. I couldn't eat, sleep, talk... it was insane. I lost 5lbs in a week so I stopped it.

No matter what I do though, I can not get rid of the anxiety. I exercise like an insane person, I eat decent. I've cut a lot of refined crap out of my diet. I started taking fish oil. Magnesium is a natural relaxant. I take that. But NOTHING works like the klonopin. It is a miracle for me! As much as I am against big pharma, I don't know what I would do without the stuff. It makes me clear headed. Gives me energy. I feel very peaceful when I take it.

Trying to tell that to a doctor makes them think you are an addict... unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There is situational depression which occurs during difficult life events and biological depression which has to do with a chemical imbalance effecting the serotonin and endorphins our bodies need to feel good or "happy". Without the proper amounts of these chemicals having that general sense of well being would be not be possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
For most peoples depression although id never say it to their face because of their vunerability, is that its all in their head.

Theres nothing wrong with them they just think theres something wrong with them, in fact they are so certain they are 'depressed' they just become depressed to satify their feelings. OF course there will be people with mental heatlth problems who are genuinely depressed thorugh no fault of their own. But most people who tell me 'im depressed and on pills' theres nothing wrong with them.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

It is standard medical practice to give an SSRI along with anti-anxiety medication for panic and anxiety disorders. SSRIs tend to take away the "highs and lows" that the brain goes through, so that you feel neither really low, really anxious, or really happy...Almost like a flattened affect. This is why sexual dysfunction is a common side effect. Can't get too excited.

Between the flattening of the affect and the anti-anxiety medication, it gets rid of anxiety, panic, overreactions, and general mental noise which is common in anxiety disorders. Your doctor is doing the textbook treatment, and it has a good track record.

As a sufferer myself, I have been there and done that. Zoloft, like all SSRIs, made me gain too much weight, so as soon as I stabilize, I go right back off. Nothing so depressing as feeling good but fat as a sea cow and none of your clothes fit anymore.
You may want to take your doc's advice and go try the SSRI along with the tranquilizer, but add exercise to your routine to avoid the resultant weight gain.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
THey had a C2C about this the other night.

THe Mars/Venus book guy was on and he said there was a natural supplement you can take to fix it.

Wait, let me get my notes...

He said get lithium oritate and fish oil. THey sell it at Amazon.com

And here is his website.

www.marsvenus.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I put depression into two category's which cover a host of differing personal details

1. Medically (drug) induced
2. Person in wrong circumstances ie needs to change circumstances

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but depression is a chemical reaction or lack there of within the brain...meaning the lack of serotonin or the inability to transfer it. The chemical reaction can be triggered by an event/emotion?

Too much serotonin can cause mania or feeling of euphoria as in the manic stage of manic depression or bipolar disorder
edit on 22-3-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire
I had a friend, and his name was Noah. his thyroid muscle quickly began to deteriorate, and it eventually died. He had a lot of friends, was a hell of an athlete, loved God, and his family meant more than anything else in the world. He began to change, he became isolated and stopped smiling. He started to miss a lot of school, and his grades and athletics went downhill. He was gone for four days during the school week, he was supposed to be staying at a friends, his family was out of town.

On December 5th, his body was found. He killed himself by a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and nobody knew why until after the autopsy. His thyroid died, and he didn't feel anything. Happiness, sadness, guilt, anger, frustration, nothing. He felt nothing.

Depression is real.

Sorry to hear of the loss, and you are on the right track, it's so amazing to me that there still appears a reasonably large percentage of people that can't won't make the obvious connection the brain is a ORGAN in many ways alot like the lungs, kidney's, the heart it can suffer imbalances in many ways , some can be rather easily corrected, others harder but not nearly impossible, this can and WILL affect behavior, animal studies clearly show this, in some ways we're clearly as a world Still in The Dark Ages as to how society treats those that are 'different'.

As was said yes the brain has to have certain chemicals or one simply can NOT experience certain things, any more than a deaf person can hear, withoout adeguate NTs and brain function, things like so called bi-polar, manic depressive, suicidal, ptsd can be quite real, while they obviously have a 'mental'/emotional' componenet they are at the root chemical and one reason IMO why we have such a revolving door in and out of institutions Imo is because society in the age of dollars makes alot more $$$ treating symtoms than disease. Really at the root I think it's that simple.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Tecumte because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Zoloft isn't exclusively a drug for depression, same with some other antidepressants.

Kolonopin is a depressant though.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Let me try to sum it up for you. First, I am NOT responding as a healthcare provider, so this post is INFORMATIONAL ONLY. I would not want to lose my license to practice.

Depression. There basically two forms, at the top of the chain:

1. Exogenous -- from the Greek term "exo" meaning OUTSIDE
2. Endogenous -- from the Greek term "endo" meaning INSIDE

I will refer to them as Endo and Exo from now on.

Exo depression can be caused by something that happens to you, that causes trauma, that causes PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder). It can be a loss of a loved one, a pet, a job, bad economic hardship, etc.

Endo CAN be caused by EXO, but most often, is internal, and caused for two reasons mainly:

1. The brain's inability to manufacture seratonin, or
2. The seratonin recepters in the brain unable to bind with seratonin.

Either way, one would thing, "hey, just give them seratonin" to cure depression. And to that, I say "I WISH!"

That just isnt possible at this time.

So we have to treat the Endo depression with drugs like Lexapro, Zoloft, Abilify, etc..which all enhance the brain's ability to utilize as much seratonin that the body can produce.

There are other factors that can cause depression also. Medical conditions, drug abuse, and alcohol abuse.

Narcotics get you high, mainly because they effect boost the levels of seratonin in the body. Good for brain, but VERY BAD for other organs in your body.

Alcohol does the same thing.

But, drug and alcohol abuse eventually lead to the deadening of the seratonin receptors in the brain, which, in turn make the seratonin less and less effective over time.

I suffer from severe depression. Mine is mostly from PTSD from events that happened to me in 1998. I take Lexapro 20mg every day. I have tried others, but this drug in particular works the best for me, over time.

I can not add the drug Abilify, because I am also a diabetic, and Abilify's side effect is that it raises blood sugar.

Believe me when I say I wish I could wake up one day and not be "depressed." I have everything that I have ever wanted in life, but still, I just can't shake it.

To answer the question, "does it consume your thoughts." Well, yes. In a way for me at least. I think about it all the time, but what I do is that I keep myself busy with my work, and when I don't think about it, it helps.

Often times when I am just bored, I find myself depressed. And, my depression keeps me from doing things with my family at times. I just like to deal with it by being alone...as bad as that sounds.

Don't get me wrong...I laugh, I like to watch a good comedy, and I do things that cheer me up. But the depression is always there for me.

Hope this helps you guys looking for the answer...Depression is real...but it is different from one person to the next.

In fact, there are people who are depressed but don't know any different, and vice versa.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Klonopin is from a class we call Benzodiazepines. Very similar to Valium, but with less of a "high" effect.

It is used for seizures, as well as for anxiety. It helps do "deaden" the nerve endings.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack
Let me try to sum it up for you. First, I am NOT responding as a healthcare provider, so this post is INFORMATIONAL ONLY. I would not want to lose my license to practice.

Depression. There basically two forms, at the top of the chain:

1. Exogenous -- from the Greek term "exo" meaning OUTSIDE
2. Endogenous -- from the Greek term "endo" meaning INSIDE

I will refer to them as Endo and Exo from now on.

Exo depression can be caused by something that happens to you, that causes trauma, that causes PTSD (Post traumatic stress disorder). It can be a loss of a loved one, a pet, a job, bad economic hardship, etc.

Endo CAN be caused by EXO, but most often, is internal, and caused for two reasons mainly:

1. The brain's inability to manufacture seratonin, or
2. The seratonin recepters in the brain unable to bind with seratonin.

Either way, one would thing, "hey, just give them seratonin" to cure depression. And to that, I say "I WISH!"

That just isnt possible at this time.

So we have to treat the Endo depression with drugs like Lexapro, Zoloft, Abilify, etc..which all enhance the brain's ability to utilize as much seratonin that the body can produce.

There are other factors that can cause depression also. Medical conditions, drug abuse, and alcohol abuse.

Narcotics get you high, mainly because they effect boost the levels of seratonin in the body. Good for brain, but VERY BAD for other organs in your body.

Alcohol does the same thing.

But, drug and alcohol abuse eventually lead to the deadening of the seratonin receptors in the brain, which, in turn make the seratonin less and less effective over time.

I suffer from severe depression. Mine is mostly from PTSD from events that happened to me in 1998. I take Lexapro 20mg every day. I have tried others, but this drug in particular works the best for me, over time.

I can not add the drug Abilify, because I am also a diabetic, and Abilify's side effect is that it raises blood sugar.

Believe me when I say I wish I could wake up one day and not be "depressed." I have everything that I have ever wanted in life, but still, I just can't shake it.

To answer the question, "does it consume your thoughts." Well, yes. In a way for me at least. I think about it all the time, but what I do is that I keep myself busy with my work, and when I don't think about it, it helps.

Often times when I am just bored, I find myself depressed. And, my depression keeps me from doing things with my family at times. I just like to deal with it by being alone...as bad as that sounds.

Don't get me wrong...I laugh, I like to watch a good comedy, and I do things that cheer me up. But the depression is always there for me.

Hope this helps you guys looking for the answer...Depression is real...but it is different from one person to the next.

In fact, there are people who are depressed but don't know any different, and vice versa.

Yes that's good, yin and yan, nature and nurture, it really is often about balance and imbalance and for many trying to move to the right combination. For those with either emotional/mental/*genetic* imbalances or those with more 'physically' originating (or often both) it can be quite a challenge the further one is 'out of balance', obviously the harder.

We need experiences that help raise endorpins, serotonin, acetocholine, dopamine, but humans also have to be able to physically manufacture the messengers and receptors that handle these signals. In some ways as I said it still seems humanity at large is in the Dark Ages. Entrenched thoughts and ways of dealing with things in general seems so archaic and barbaric to me, it's like the witch trials never ended.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Hey bro. You are not alone sounds like you are coping well.

Let me just say we live in a society where the special interests control mainstream medicine. They basically dictate what the CDC and FDA will recognize, hence what your doctor will treat. These mainstream doctors are thoroughly brainwashed by the literature and journals they read. Including but not limited to the CDC and FDA treatment guidelines.

Will live in a matrix bro. The special interests want us to be sick, because they are satanic cult into depopulation and make big money off selling us useless drugs and treatments.

Depression anxiety and many diseases can be caused by gut health, heavy metals, viruses, bacteria, and all kinds of stuff that puts us out of balance. Especially depression and anxiety. Much of the food and stuff we eat can make things worse. Like wheat, milk, caffine, and junk food.

Now about anti-depressants. Many of them contain flouride. Flouride can harden in the organs. and the medications and food can affect gut health.

On top of that, many of us have what are called SNP's (Single nucleotide polymorphisms).

www.holisticheal.com...

Most likely it is due to bioweapons, vaccines, or some other messed up stuff from the satanic cult. Whatever the case, they mess up our ability to detoxify drugs, chemicals and heavy metals. Then we end up with inflamation and all kinds of problems causing depression from the overload of crap in our system and a body out of balance. Bet you have low sex drive and energy right?

Here are some suggestions for things to try:

Take pro-biotics and or saccharomyces boulardii gut health.

healthimpactnews.com...

Another thing can be to clean up diet by avoiding MSG, hydrogenated oils, preservatives, avoid corn syrup, colorings and artificial flavorings.

another thing to try is do some suanas for detoxing

another thing to try is yoga. This moves your lympth and improves your Qui.

Lastly, you can learn about lyme disease and other infections. A cheap thing to try for lyme is teasel root. It is diffcult to cure infections without addressing SNP's simultaneously with methylation treatments.

Try some vitamin C, paba, and pantethine while eliminating caffine. This willl help repair adrenal fatigue.

Good luck. sucks to be in the dark on this.

If you want to go the doctor route, try seeing a naturopath who can test for bacterial infections and viruses. and help build your immune system. You are never going to hear that from the mainstream. They are way to educated/brainwashed.

Good luck.
edit on 22-3-2012 by jim3981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

I totally agree with you. Most people who say they are depressed, didn't put out three cigarettes on their arm the other night, like I did. But don't assume you can tell which of us are "real" and which of us "it's all in their head." Because the one thing that NONE of us need, is to feel more misunderstood and unsupported.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Let's not forget loneliness too as an aggravator or in some cases maybe even an instigator of clinical depression. Finding one person out of some 6 billion that cares for you as much as you do for them may not seem hard, but I'm convinced many people suffering from depression would do much better if they could find a 'soul mate'.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join