It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter is melting, scientists say

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
S&F

The more I hear about the temperatures rising on other planets in our solar system, the more I am drawn to the opinion that "man-made global warming" is a false theory.

Yes, modern humans are collectively destructive, wasteful, and are contributing to a wide-scale pollution of earth and the extinction of many species of plant and animal life. This is an embarrassing fact. But man-made global warming is a false theory in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by MamaJ

I have to ask you though.... If there was a concern with Jupiter or any other planet (even the Sun) would NASA be the first to come out and tell us?

What concern?

It would be quite interesting if the Juno probe found evidence for this (I doubt it will, even if it is true). But who cares? It would have no effect on anything. If the simulation is correct it means that the core of Jupiter is not diferentiated as Earth's is. So what? This is a matter of how planets form. Unless you are an astrophysicist, it means nothing.

Any concern.... you think everything will maintain and not ever change? Any change can be a good thing.. or a bad thing.

It COULD have an effect, why do you think otherwise?

I think its more than just how Jupiter formed. Its evolution is of importance too. The future of our Planet relies on its Big Brother.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
S&F

The more I hear about the temperatures rising on other planets in our solar system, the more I am drawn to the opinion that "man-made global warming" is a false theory.

Yes, modern humans are collectively destructive, wasteful, and are contributing to a wide-scale pollution of earth and the extinction of many species of plant and animal life. This is an embarrassing fact. But man-made global warming is a false theory in my opinion.

I'm with ya! Man made is a joke... where we are at in the Solar System matters, how our Sun is behaving effects us, and of course other bodies in the Solar System effect us as well. IF other bodies in the Solar System begin or continue to warm up and or change we have to wonder about the future.... or at least I do. I don't think it is fear mongering at all either.... its just being realistic.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

If this is happening it has been happening since Jupiter formed. If this is happening it is the normal state of affairs for Jupiter. It is not a change.

I think you're being misled by the sensationalistic title of the article into thinking that this is something new and that it means that something horrible will happen to Jupiter. It does not.

edit on 3/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by MamaJ

If this is happening it has been happening since Jupiter formed. If this is happening it is the normal state of affairs for Jupiter. It is not a change.

I think you're being misled by the sensationalistic title of the article into thinking that this is something new and that it means that something horrible will happen to Jupiter. It does not.

Don't worry about me being mislead by one article.
I aint stuuuupid enough to read one article and run with it yelling DOOM! lol

How can you state what has been happening on Jupiter (with such assurance) since it formed?? How can you state what is normal for Jupiter??

Phage, I am not suggesting any doom here or asserting there is no doom. I am merely trying to be more aware of what is going on with our Solar System because I LOVE the study and research. With that said, its more than just Jupiter that I am aware of.... Jupiter's changes are one of many I am aware of. Just because it is changing (possibly) does not concern me. What kind of changes is what concerns me and what I want to be more aware of.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

How can you state what has been happening on Jupiter (with such assurance) since it formed?? How can you state what is normal for Jupiter??

I am talking about the theory.
This thread is about the "melting" of Jupiter. If the theory upon which this thread is based is correct then this is a process which has been occurring since Jupiter formed. It is inherent in the theory.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by MamaJ

I am talking about the theory.
This thread is about the "melting" of Jupiter. If the theory upon which this thread is based is correct then this is a process which has been occurring since Jupiter formed. It is inherent in the theory.

Which theory?

Who's theory?

If we are ONLY going to talk about the theory the core may be melting on Jupiter then please lets stick with what we KNOW. What you and I are doing is going back and forth speculating Jupiter's core and whether or not it is changing or has been this way since it formed. You are stating you KNOW there is no change and Jupiter's core has always been melting if it indeed is??

I am saying to you I THINK Jupiter's core CAN change and the change CAN be felt here on Earth. Any data we have on Jupiter or any other Planet is nothing but speculation. If Jupiter was well known from its core on up and out we would not be sitting here speculating theories ....I want to talk facts with you and what you KNOW. Your opinion and what you THINK obviously matters to me as well.
I see and hear you saying for the most part....no big deal, its always been this way...... but how do you KNOW this when NASA does not know?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Who's theory?
I guess I misunderstood the point of this thread. I thought we were talking about the theory in article in the OP.

You are stating you KNOW there is no change and Jupiter's core has always been melting if it indeed is??
I am stating what the theory in the article in the OP states. I have no idea if Jupiter's core is being distributed throughout the planet. The computer simulation indicates that it may be. If the assumptions made for the simulation are correct, it may be happening. If it is happening, it has been happening since the planet formed.

Gas giants are believed to form by the accretion of hydrogen-helium gas around an initial protocore of rock and ice. The question of whether the rocky parts of the core dissolve into the fluid H-He layers following formation has significant implications for planetary structure and evolution. Here we use ab initio calculations to study rock solubility in fluid hydrogen, choosing MgO as a representative example of planetary rocky materials, and and MgO to be highly soluble in H for temperatures in excess of approximately 10000 K, implying significant redistribution of rocky core material in Jupiter and larger exoplanets.

arxiv.org...

I am saying to you I THINK Jupiter's core CAN change and the change CAN be felt here on Earth.

The simulation shows that Jupiter's core could be changing. It also shows that if it is, it has always been changing. If you aren't talking about the theory in the article, what's the point of building a thread about it? You are welcome to think whatever you wish about how that may affect us from a distance of at least 390 million miles.

but how do you KNOW this when NASA does not know?

What does NASA have to do with it?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What does NASA have to do with the theory?
Ok...

You act you KNOW more than they do....

As far as the theory we are discussing within the article, there are several theories if not more floating around and this is why Juno is making it's way to Jupiter. Thats why I asked which theory we are discussing. This clarification makes for a good two way conversation to make sure we are on the same page.

I think this conversation has exhausted itself though..... Thanks for sharing your opinion.

edit on 23-3-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

MamaJ, this thread is very exciting as i like to study and be aware of Theories about our solar system as well. No offence to Phage, but theres this little thing called a butterfly effect. I am not saying it is, but IF Jupiter where melting, that would cause alot (maybe even more than we are aware of) of things to happen to our solar system. Jupiter is the Biggest planet in our solar system. It is a gas giant and no one knows for sure even what the suns core is made of. Being a theorie, if Jupiter was melting, its Gravitational Pull would weaken as well. The size and mass both are huge factors when measuring gravitational pull, and if i must say, Jupiter has many, many moons that rely on this balance of gravitational pulls. Just remember Phage, that every single planet in our solar system is just as important as Earth, mostly because we dont even know half about the planets yet. So until Juno lands on Jupiter and we actually have an idea of what its core is made of, the theorie of it melting is a far-fetched theory. Thanks for sharing this MamaJ.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Oracle202

Being a theorie, if Jupiter was melting, its Gravitational Pull would weaken as well.

If the core of Jupiter is dissolving (as the theory suggests), it is dissolving into Jupiter. The mass of Jupiter would not change. The mass of Jupiter is not going anywhere.

edit on 3/28/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The sooner some realise Phage is not the oracle the better.

Something scary is going on with Jupiter,too many stories have been coming out now about it.

The wax like dripping from its core is not normal,and where does the dripping go to?
edit on 28-3-2012 by paperface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Oracle202

I totally agree with everything you said. We are on the same page.

I have began trying to "note" the changes that may be going on within our Solar System and it seems as though there are either more findings or there are more changes.

It is evident by reading NASA and other credible sources that not only the Sun is more excited but all other bodies in the Solar System as well. Climate change is not just happening here on Earth but... other bodies as well. wakeup-world.com...

Now...is it possible we have gone through many changes before in the past? Most certainly! There is no "doom" here but there should be awareness and a need for more understanding and this is what I see NASA doing. I think they (we all are) are trying to understand what is going on and what may or may not happen with not only our Planet but other bodies in the Solar System as well.

My understanding so far leads me to wonder if the Suns place in space is not the cause for the climate change.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by paperface

I agree... something could be causing this other than the Sun... who knows...but there is change going on...

I THINK.

Here is another link... www.dailygalaxy.com...

It could also be something as simple as this Gassy Giant has been transforming all the while and no big change is occurring. Our understanding is so limited and so I look forward to what Juno reports back.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I honestly believe that a large part of these perceived changes are basically because we have only just had the technology to properly investigate the Solar System - i think if we had this technology thousands of years ago we would know now that these sorts of things happen all the time.

Obviously, i may be wildly wrong but i would hope not as the implications could be rather scary.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Here is a long lecture that I found really interesting. I actually watched it a few times and read links she linked to.

Susan gives a lecture explaining what some in the metaphysical community believe to be happening. What she explains is also what Viola Neal spoke about in her book, "Through the Curtain". Viola has a PHD and it is my understanding she worked with Tesla. She too believes the Sun is in a part of space that is vibrant with energy.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

When you use logic and present facts people don't understand as much.

Say something like this : Jupiter is Nibiru and it has 600 UFO's on it
and a stargate capable of making cheese.

Then you'll get a thread like this tomorrow : "Jupiter is falling apart, Solar System Collapsing 2012!!!"

But back on topic. Unless Jupiter swung through the other planets and then collided with us, I don't think we'll have anything to
worry about. Anything that happens on Jupiter is just something to be observed and noted. It won't be too much of a concern for anyone on Earth. (Not that it was before either)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Each day we learn more about or solar system and the planets, I expect we will find many new revelations in the comming years.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
People are misunderstanding what the scientists in th OP's article are saying.

They are NOT saying that Jupiter has solid core that has recently begun melting.

They ARE saying that contrary to what some people previously believed, Jupiter's core is not solid at all. Also, these scientists are saying that there may not be a distinct and homogenous core that sharply differentiates it from the layers above, but rather the core is constantly melting and mixing with the materials from the "layers" above, creating a soupy mess.

So, no -- Jupiter's core is not suddenly melting. Rather, Jupiter's core is a melty non-homogeneous mess -- and there is NO reason to believe this is anything new. NOTHING in this article suggests that Jupiter's melty/mixing/soupy core is is new development.

The scientists are simply suggesting that, if their theory is correct, this is the way Jupiter works.

edit on 3/29/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperface
Something scary is going on with Jupiter,too many stories have been coming out now about it.

Scientists have studied Jupiter more in the past ten years than in the centuries before (mostly from data previously collected by the Galileo probe, but also other instruments as well) -- so of course "more stories have been coming out about it"

The wax like dripping from its core is not normal,and where does the dripping go to?

I'm not sure how you know this isn't normal. Like I said in my post above, nothing in the OP's article suggested that this was some new development or some recent change to Jupiter. A new discovery? Yes. However, the nature of Jupiter's core may not be new at all. It may just be the way Jupiter has worked for the past couple billion years.

For example, if we knew nothing about the nature of EARTH'S outer core, and science just learns now that the earth's outer core is molten (which supposedly it is), then would that new discovery mean that the Earth is suddenly changing, or the world is in danger of melting? Of course not. It would simply be a new discovery of the prior-to-that unknown nature of the way the earth works.

New discoveries are being made about Jupiter all the time that may change what we THOUGHT we knew about Jupiter. Does that mean each new discovery that replaces the old knowledge is a "change" in Jupiter itself? Not at all. It is simply a change in our knowledge about Jupiter, not a change to the planet itself.

As for where Jupiter's melting core stuff goes? The scientists mentioned in the article say the core mixes with the materials above it.

edit on 3/29/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join