It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter is melting, scientists say

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I just saw this article from a FB friend of mine ( www.foxnews.com... )and wanted to share on ATS.

The way the article reads it is as if they think the core of Jupiter may be dissolving??

What do you all think?

Surely we will know more BEFORE 2016!!!

Liquefied parts of a gas giant's core may have trouble reaching the outer envelope due to double diffusive convection -- a process commonly found in Earth's oceans. When salty water accumulates at the bottom of the ocean, its density keeps it from mixing thoroughly with the upper layers. In a similar fashion, the heavy elements in Jupiter's core may have trouble gaining enough energy to move upward and outward. Scientists don't know how much this hindrance will affect potential mixing inside Jupiter, and many other questions remain to be answered about the melting process. "The next question is, 'How efficient is this process?'" said Fortney. Researchers will have more tools to answer this question once NASA's Juno probe reaches Jupiter in 2016. With the spacecraft's instruments carefully analyzing Jupiter's composition, Wilson believes that there will be signatures of mixing and core erosion. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

I remembered there was a thread on ATS in regards to one of Jupiter's moons melting. This thread www.abovetopsecret.com... was linked to this article as well. www.universetoday.com...

Also here is another thread I found regarding Jupiter Igniting. Crazy stuff but here it is... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are a couple of links in regards to the Spacecraft Juno which launched on the 5th of August.

www.nasa.gov...

www.nasa.gov...

Thoughts??

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The way the article reads it is as if they think the core of Jupiter may be dissolving??

No.

A simulation shows that the core is constantly mixing with outer layers of the planet in a give and take situation. If it is happening it's been happening for a very long time.
edit on 3/22/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I didn't read your links but from the quote it sounds like Jupiter is gaining mass. Well at least we know it has gained Shoemaker-Levy and the Galileo entry probe and the spacecraft itself, and probably lots of other stuff too.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Phage is usally right on these things.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Jupiter is a gas giant, it does not have a surface like Earth does, there are theories about it having a core of sorts, so threads about it burning up, melting etc are all just playing around with the fact that it's not a completely solid planet.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
doubtful that it is. And if it was it could take thousands if not millions of years to lose even a small amount of mass comparably speaking it would probably be millions of years into the process, and i seriously doubt the "Lucifer" from the book to be real and don't see it as a second sun ever.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Whew!

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

It seems as though the article from Fox was reading this is something "new" they found. I guess the simulation is the only thing new then. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
More complete NONSENSE from Never A Straight Answer.

New simulations suggest

astronomers hope to better explain a recent puzzling discovery
trying to figure out what's going on
Conventional planetary formation theory has modeled Jupiter
a mixing model
working on the assumption
because it's easier to work on this assumption
scientists had previously toyed with the idea
Scientists have to rely on calculations
a computer program to simulate
conditions are thought to be
Researchers believe that
probably have similar
scientists were baffled
searched for a suitable explanation
Using conventional models, the astronomers calculated
presented a huge problem for traditional assumptions
simulations
also suggest that
core is probably melting
may help explain
heavy elements likely reside
he expects other factors
might explain the ultra-high density
Certain processes may also limit
core may have trouble
Scientists don't know
many other questions remain

Wilson believes that there will be

Those who are students, what kind of grade do you think you would get on a paper filled with this kind of vagueness?

Those who have jobs, if you wrote a report like this, filled with "assumptions" and "might" and "may have" , do you think you would get fired for it?

Unless you work at an ad agency. Then you would probably get promoted. These are called "weasel words" in the ad business. The kind of words that make it sound like you are saying something, yet you are really saying NOTHING.

A politician's speeches are like this too. Hot air, full of sound and fury, signifying NOTHING. They call it "plausible deniability".

I wish I could get grants of hundreds of thousands, paying me to play with giant billion dollar toys for years and years, yet producing NO RESULTS. They've been doing this for DECADES, yet EVERY TIME they point their telescopes in a new direction, "scientists are baffled". Computer models do not prove anything.

Only meteorologists can FAIL this much and still get paid for it.

This is a joke. BILLIONS of your tax dollars at work.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Though for some reason I used to always have 'faux' news on, I don't think they are a reputable news source for most anything, they operate like a TV variety show. (It was only on because I was working, and didn't have to change the channel or engage in the programs). That was over a decade ago but I understand the same people are still there.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Illustronic because: damn keyboard!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm guessing most people in here don't like Nassim Haramein, but I remember one of his conferences where he talked about Jupiter being the same composition as the sun, having 2 permanent "thingies" that where seen as aurora borealis that where increasing it's temperature and speculated about the possibility of Jupiter turning into a star.
I like the idea, don't know if it's actually possible, but on the other hand, anything is possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

CaptChaos has correctly discerned weasel words in the article, not written by Faux News, it's simply a re-broadcasted article from a special interest group presented as a big bad science article.

The guy who wrote the article has a degree in physics (!) and philosophy (lol). And he's probably just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. However, he doesn't have a degree in journalism or English. Thus, we get the fluffy inaccuracy of a non-science article written for a non-science audience about the simulation of science using computer models.

Jupiter is not melting.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

You realize that:
1) The author of the Fox article, Brian Jacobsmeyer, is not involved with NASA.
2) Neither of the scientists who published the article which the Fox article is about are involved with NASA.

No? You didn't realize that? What a surprise.

prl.aps.org...
brianjacobsmeyer.com...
edit on 3/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This morning I see a lot of sites have ran with this story...

Was the story leaked? I have no idea but I know I cannot find the same findings on the Nasa site. Imagine that!
No real surprise there.

I did find some articles like this one that leads one to know they are puzzled and this is why Juno has been sent to collect data (My opinion anyway).

This article talks about Jupiter changing in recent times (last 20 yrs). www.nasa.gov...

Is it because there is another Planet lurking right outside the Solar System?

Are we seeing change within the Planets of our Solar System because of the Space we find ourselves traveling in at present or where the Sun is at present?

Why so many changes?

My guess ...it's because we live in a Universe that is not constant...rather constantly changing.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You realize that:
1) The author of the Fox article, Brian Jacobsmeyer, is not involved with NASA.
2) Neither of the scientists who published the article which the Fox article is about are involved with NASA.

No? You didn't realize that? What a surprise.

prl.aps.org...
brianjacobsmeyer.com...
edit on 3/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

That is a good point... I respect your knowledge and view point.

I have to ask you though.... If there was a concern with Jupiter or any other planet (even the Sun) would NASA be the first to come out and tell us? Do you really think they would tell all IF they collected data that sent an alarm going off in their heads? I just do not think they would report anything negative unless they were forced to and that would probably be very last minute.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I have to also agree with you. You make a very good point as well.

Assumptions get us nowhere. I have been assuming our Solar System is weakening because of different articles and of course the changes I note within this Planet that I CAN sense with my own senses, be it seeing, hearing, and so on.

I look to the people who study space every day for a living to keep me informed of real time data. We only read credible sites for a reason. Some will argue "Faux News" is this and that... I don't give a flying rats ...(you know what) how someone feels about a certain news station. They are ALL crooked if you ask me. The ones who come out and say "nonsense" are crazy.... not taken seriously because all the while we are awaiting credible NASA to come out and tell like it is.... or are they?

The trust is not there for Nasa as far as I'm concerned to actually tell us what is going on with any planet much less Earth.

Now this morning there are all kinds of "credible sites" delivering the NEWS NASA should be delivering.

I want honesty in regards to everything!!!! Damn if there are aliens and UFO's.... just tell us!
If there is this or that they know.... tell us.. quit with all the secrets and just TELL US ALREADY!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCorporateBeast
I'm guessing most people in here don't like Nassim Haramein, but I remember one of his conferences where he talked about Jupiter being the same composition as the sun, having 2 permanent "thingies" that where seen as aurora borealis that where increasing it's temperature and speculated about the possibility of Jupiter turning into a star.
I like the idea, don't know if it's actually possible, but on the other hand, anything is possible.

Thats what I know as well.... why don't others? Is it not a no brainer that anything is possible with a Universe we barely understand!

We do not control it, didn't design it, have no idea from one day to the next what will indeed happen. Everything is a guess. BUT... I would say those in the know and studying Space day in and day night probably have a better understanding of what they don't know...and are trying to find out.

Time tells all... thats for sure. I don't expect NASA to tell all!

The more I put pieces of the puzzle together the more the image comes into manifestation. This image I am gathering in my head of our Solar System is not a pretty one. I want more answers.....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
Jupiter is a gas giant, it does not have a surface like Earth does, there are theories about it having a core of sorts, so threads about it burning up, melting etc are all just playing around with the fact that it's not a completely solid planet.

I used to think that but how does it make impact marks if no solid parts present

Ontopic maybe there is something IN the SOL system that is causing the changes.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This link is really COOL! Loved it. missionjuno.swri.edu...#/jupiter/origin?hs=2

Basically... assumptions have been made in regards to the Gassy Giant (Jupiter) but assumptions are no longer fitting and this is why Juno is heading there. Juno will tell us a lot and hopefully our protector will maintain and continue protecting our home.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thank you for sharing the video...will check it out later today.

Also, this link science.nasa.gov... talks about...

"A Freaky Fluid inside Jupiter?"

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

I have to ask you though.... If there was a concern with Jupiter or any other planet (even the Sun) would NASA be the first to come out and tell us?

What concern?

It would be quite interesting if the Juno probe found evidence for this (I doubt it will, even if it is true). But who cares? It would have no effect on anything. If the simulation is correct it means that the core of Jupiter is not diferentiated as Earth's is. So what? This is a matter of how planets form. Unless you are an astrophysicist, it means nothing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join