It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunger Games "Conspiracy"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have only seen a trailer for the Hunger Games
so I am not really in a position to judge

Along the same theme though for me back in the day it was Lord Of The Flies
which seemed a bit brutal for a childhood read...

but that did take some of the shock out of discovering the real world later on in life.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

However, from what I have heard about how the story works out over the course of the trilogy, you may very well be correct. I think the author had a positive intent and message, most of them do. I would only wonder what the catalyst of suffering ends up being a catalyst for. Rebellion against an oppressive government, in and of itself, is not necessarily a good thing. You regularly hear about African nations rebelling against a dictator only to have the new rebel government behave just as badly as the old one. From a spiritual perspective I think internal, heart rebellion (committing to behave lovingly towards both your oppressors and your fellow oppressees) is a better lesson to learn than external, violent rebellion. That is what I wish stories like The Hunger Games would show. In fact....

Yes, I agree with you on this.

What does the catalyst of suffering end up being a catalyst for?

Does the author address this in the books or does the author leave us wondering? This I do not know, but I agree, when there is open rebellion in the streets, nothing truly changes......same structure of power, new face, nothing more.

True change does happen internally in our hearts, minds, and souls. Until that changes nothing else does.

If the main character would have sacrificed herself, it probably would not have been so wildly popular. Instead, it shows a progression of the character which I think teens relate to better and is more realistic.

There are not too many books nowadays where the man character decides to sacrifice himself for the world......well, except the bible...it is still kinda popular but not so many kids read that one anymore.

Harry potter is another one where he has to sacrifice himself and die.....the birth, death, resurrection theme is all over those books.....even sweet Bella sacrifices herself for her kid and Edward.....but don't get me started on twilight! Arrrrgggghhhh....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yeah, " Lord of the Flies" blew my mind when I had to read it. To this day, it is my "go to" piece of lit when it comes to explaining the nature of humanity.

The creepiest part was the end.....the kids were saved, but look who saved them!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustangill
I only caught the previews of this film and it isn't one that I can not understand why teenagers are so enthralled with it at all. This film strips away the very core of what it is to be human. It celebrates evil and it says that it is ok to forget about your morals and values and it says it is ok to watch humans die. I am not sure but, is it the government in control in this movie who is making these people fight for their lives?

This film is definitely another procedure of conditioning the human people into submission. I would not allow my child to watch it and If I had a child I would sit him or her down and explain how this film destroys morals and values that we were raised upon in order to survive.

The conspiracy in this film as I see it is conditioning the world for the way things will be in the future. That is why it is being promoted so heavily.

Also, are all those teenagers, who they show screaming their heads off toward the stars of this movie, paid to scream and act crazy like that? Have those teenagers ever seen these people before?

Seems like TPTB have bet again and this film is a winner.

Then you have no idea what you are talking about, since you have only seen previews. Everything you *think* the movie stands for is wrong.

The message of the movie is the OPPOSITE of "it is okay to watch humans die". It is the OPPOSITE of "submission".

Maybe you should read the book.....then you would be equipped to discuss what it is about.

EDIT: If my tone sounds snippy, sorry. I'm not trying to come across that way. You just have the whole thing SO wrong.
edit on 23-3-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elliotmtl

I thought the same exact thing. I don't know why this movie has gotten the level of exposure that it has but something seems very off here.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mijamija

Eliot

Thanks for responding, I am interested in what you wrote.

You mentioned how the kids go along with murdering the other kids, as if they had no conscience at all.....

But, at the end this changes right? The kids realize they are pawns in a game and they develop a conscience and decide to go after those that created the game.

So, could it be argued that these kids represent a transition of a child from a "unaware" individual who questions nothing and simply "goes along" with what ever society says, because it is tradition, or socially acceptable.

They go along with "survival of the fittest" but in the end realize it does not have to be that way. They grow as people and transition from a state of "unawareness" like sheeple, to realizing a "deeper truth".

They experience terrible suffering in this transition, which to me is the crux of the entire book....the amount of suffering is the catalyst for their change and rebellion.

I have not read the books, but my friend has and I have heard about them from her, and we have discussed them several times.

Do you think this is a possible interpretation of the story?
edit on 23-3-2012 by Mijamija because: Content correction

You DO have it right, in my opinion.

You should read it! I didn't think I'd enjoy it at all (this is not my normal type of book) but I loved it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
'Tis just the TV show Survivor taken to the next level. Good book (actually a trilogy), I thought, though I'm not sure after having read the books that I'd see the movie because it's just a very simple, commonly thought and written about concept/theme/moral lesson or reminder and a very simple story.

Also, I agree with GeorgiaGirl above...the message is hardly one of "it's ok" but more a message of what could happen if we are not ever vigilant and allow ourselved to sacrifice our humanity.

Conditioning? Nope. Just a story, and, again, not all that unique either.Just a film with a large advertising budget aimed at the audience who spends the most money on seeing films.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

It's on my never ending list of "required reading" but I need to read the classics first I think! It is kinda shameful I'm a lit major who never read "Brave New World" so I need to back it up a bit before I read the hunger trilogy.

But, thanks for responding to my post, I am happy to know there are others who understand my perspective on it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Yeah, " Lord of the Flies" blew my mind when I had to read it. To this day, it is my "go to" piece of lit when it comes to explaining the nature of humanity.

The creepiest part was the end.....the kids were saved, but look who saved them!!!!

funny when I went to a plot synopsis for LOTF
just to see how well I recalled the details after 4O years since I read the book:
the top link
it was backgrounded by a huge add
for the hunger games!
www.sparknotes.com...
edit on 23-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The point, I think, is to make people visualize things that they would not normally think about. They will, for sure, focus on the wrong part of the story...you can guarantee that they will completely white-wash any "lessons" learned in the book for "entertainment value." It's propaganda. As far as a specific "conspiracy" with this movie, I'd say it's probably the same as it is with any movie.It is the job of the media to brainwash people to think certain things.

They want you to be okay with violence, gore, and fighting to the death on live television, because that's what they want to give you. They want you to be that desensitized to it.

I do think they are pushing "doomsday" on us to make us think what THEY want us to think about it, instead of having our own opinions on what it means, but also they are still pushing the same gender roles, family life, relationship/sex propaganda as always...repressing you while pretending they're not.

So, yes, I do think they want us to watch it to lower our vibrations, same as any other film, and I have also noticed that they are flat out lying to trick people into seeing it. I saw somewhere it was "expected to make 100 million dollars opening weekend"...I was shocked then, knowing that was completely unrealistic for any movie. They're trying to make it look like "everyone is watching it."

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by Nephlim
Hunger games is a story of REbellioN against a CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!! it is one of the most well written and emotional young adult books. the language is simple enough for a 10 year old to read but it is still a good book. It is on the surface very similar to battle royale but if you actually read the book it is nothing like Battle royale.( haven't watched the movie)

has anyone actually read the series that so easily compares it to battle royale? they overthrow the corrupt government because of the forced hunger games, so it ends up being vastly different.

so no conspiracy theory.

Im sorry, but ive read this book, and if this is what passes as a great book in literary terms for our younger generations, then its no wonder we are seeing the dumbing down that we are seeing now......

People need to be reading more of the old books that require you to think more , that require you to use more imagination and critical thinking..........

There are plenty of old literary masterpieces out there, that teach volumes more then some of this garbage floating around out there our teens our reading.......

We dont need books simple enough 10 year olds can read it, thats part of the problem.............we need material that challenges them
edit on 23-3-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

I am going to vehemently disagree. When I read this book (and the other 2) I most definitely was using my imagination, and thinking. Just because a 10 year old CAN read it-- that doesn't automatically make it garbage. Also, just because a book isn't an old "classic"--that doesn't make it unworthy of being read.

There are so many themes within this book that require you to think critically about the world and how power can be misused. Also, how people can band together to make a change (particularly in books 2 and 3).

Plus, this got my 12 year old son (almost 13), who would rather climb a tree, to READ a book. We are going to see the movie this afternoon.

I grew up reading the classics...I read Oliver Twist when I was 9, just to give you an idea. There are definitely classics worth reading. But some of them are boring. B-O-R-I-N-G. I'll take an interesting modern book over a boring classic any day (even if the classic has some sort of hoity toity esoteric message...or probably, ESPECIALLY if it has that type of message.) I just want a book that sucks me in and make me care about the characters; one that makes me want to keep reading all night long. The Hunger Games trilogy did that. I read it in one weekend (we were on a car trip). Then, a couple of months later, I read it again. And I cried AGAIN when Rue died. This series definitely grabbed my imagination and made me think, as I already said.

I don't want to be rude (I really don't), but "the only good books are classics and everything else is just garbage" is an elitist attitude that I find to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Coincedence or conspiracy? You decide!

Lol. That was too funny.

But I can see why lord of the flies could easily tie into the hunger games......they are both dealing with the same basic themes, whereas lord of the flies dealt with younger children, hunger games is geared toward teens.

I always thought it was curious how Golding killed off the character of Simon.....I thought that was about as dark as dark can get.

I am eager to see if there is a "Simon" like character in the hunger games, and if so, what happens to this character.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by doomweaver

They're trying to make it look like "everyone is watching it."

My son and I are going today, opening day. I NEVER go see a movie opening day.

I know of at least 6 people who went to the midnight show with their friends.

The girl we carpool with to school is going this evening with all of her friends.

In my world, it really *does* seem like everyone is watching it. Of course, I have 2 children who are preteen/teenaged and I teach elementary school (gifted 4th/5th graders are enthralled with this series), so I am around people who are Hunger Games-crazy and have been for months.

I thought the book sounded stupid until I read it....and could not put it down.
edit on 23-3-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You said you cried when the character of "rue" died?

Hmmmmm......perhaps there is indeed a "Simon" character in the hunger games after all.......

Now, I AM really curious about these books....

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

You said you cried when the character of "rue" died?

Hmmmmm......perhaps there is indeed a "Simon" character in the hunger games after all.......

Now, I AM really curious about these books....

I am going to take Kleenex to the movie. It is such a touching scene...it is everything terrible about the "games" and everything sentimental about Katniss all rolled into one. Katniss is not a sentimental character on the surface, but she forms a bond with Rue, who reminds her of her little sister.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by needlenight
Dont think theres any conspiracy mate. Just advertising and publicity.

please...you are NOT suppose to make common sense of this, everything is a PTB conspirecy. strap on your tin-foil hat and continue on with your life

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Is "rue" considered the "weak" one?

If so, then she definetly falls in line with the character of Simon in the lord of the flies.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Sometimes, I think if there is such a thing as an "illumanti" perhaps the only thing they are doing is putting a mirror up for all of humanity to see their reflection in.....they just "illuminate" what we as people already are.....then it is left up to us if we decide to change aspects of ourselves or not.

We can go along believing society is only capable of engaging in "survival of the fittest" type mentality and behavior, or we can change and choose not to live this way. They do not have the final decision--we do, but we just do not realize it yet.

And on that note, I must say tschuessi, and get going to an appointment. Great thread, awesome discussion. S&F for the interesting info and input, thanks guys!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So in conclusion....does anyone think TPTB are promoting this so heavily because they want us to watch it to make us more negative and cynical and selfish and "lower our vibrations"?

yup - that makes " perfect sense " - cos come one we cannot admit that ` our vibrations ` are nothing more than a newage psychobabble fantasy can we ?

yrs-ape [ cynical bastard , selfish cnut , and vibration free ]

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Im glad i read this thread. When i first started hearing about the hunger games, i thought it was just another teen fad film like twilight. I really had no idea what the series was about and i wasnt going to give it a chance. but now that i actually see the story behind it, i might actually go out and watch the movie with all those teens

who knows, maybe it's a movie like this that will finally start to wake people up

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join