It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunger Games "Conspiracy"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Huh, for a start I don'think either THG trilogy or the first movie were 'adult' or too violent. Indeed, my impression is that the movie concentrated on the few bits of gore Katniss experienced. Such as when she got burned in the deliberately lit fire.

In THG book (IMHO) most emphasis was put upon the fascistic nature of power, the lies we are told - if we refuse to watch them or read them then we must be revolutionaries, that the violence of those with power is normal and to be expected (executing people for simply asking questions... (Dr. David Kelly anyone?)

Yet, in the dire circumstances of state sanctioned murder ostensibily to make a political statement and in practice about entertainment, we find that it is a love story between two people of different socio-economic classes, and a sense of mutuality between districts (which can read as nastions and races) which makes THG a remarkable commentary on the nature of power, media and the betrayal on individual senses in the name of vanity and acceptance (facebook anyone?).

Jeez, even the relationship between Katniss and Peeta is a lie... Read the trilogy and you will see exactly how vicious the message is: Is it okay to slaughter your leader in front of the whole world in their supposed moment of victory? What does this mean? Is the "Mockingjay" claiming the leadership for herself and if not her then who?

I don't think there is a conspiricy here, jus a good old fashioned story with heap of questions and issues that question are basis of understanding.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
To ImmortalThought,

having worked in the book industry and being a very avid reader myself i can tell you the government does not control what is printed to that degree.

i have books on the danger of modern agriculture and how to break away. books on how to effectively be a radical, books on the dangers of the way the american economy works, military manuals on how to make bombs from common materials. very good books on how to survive a technological crash, books on military strategy, why the drug war is corrupt, etc etc.

i have a military textbook on psyops written by the army post 9-11. i could go on and on and on.

the only book i have seen censored by the government is operation darkheart. they couldn't stop it from being printed but they did heavily censor it by blacking out about 1/10th of the words.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Where is the anger you see?
Politicians for the overwhelming majority are corrupt at the very least.
My idea would simply make them be willing to accept their wrongdoings.
No anger there, I simply used logic.
If you want power, there will be risk.

(Edit)
Or how about we only practtice these politician "hunger games" when we have troops abroad, actively fighting.
edit on 22-3-2012 by g146541 because: political games

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

I would argue they do censor books. Most public schools have a long list of censored books and the more popular a book is the more likely the publisher is going to "monitor" its final edit.

society is so dumbed down they wouldnt look for the books you mention and that is why there arent huge blockbuster movies being made about them. Hunger Games is another breed of book and movie that has clearly been edited being that we have shown that it has been down before (battle royal) and it is brought down to level of a 10 year old.

gov't needs to give you a false sense of freedom less their whole system fails

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

the killing of politicians who simply want the position for its authority and power... how will you decide which politicians these are?

an eye for an eye leaves the world blind. we would only be showing our kids killing is okay if done in this way... a stadium full of people to watch.

I assumed that if your answer is to kill politicians you were angry at the system, which I wouldnt blame you for at all (seriously) but I wanted to warn you that isnt productive for a better future. thats all

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought

Originally posted by Nephlim
Hunger games is a story of REbellioN against a CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!! it is one of the most well written and emotional young adult books. the language is simple enough for a 10 year old to read but it is still a good book. It is on the surface very similar to battle royale but if you actually read the book it is nothing like Battle royale.( haven't watched the movie)

has anyone actually read the series that so easily compares it to battle royale? they overthrow the corrupt government because of the forced hunger games, so it ends up being vastly different.

so no conspiracy theory.

did you read what you wrote yourself? think about that...

if you are here than you understand the gov't is corrupt beyond repair. you also understand that they have extensive control over the media and printing press. furthermore, a governments main goal is self-preservation.

why would the government allow the release and grand promotion of simple to read anti-gov't book that kids can read? Sounds like self-defeating, unless there is a reason for it all...

like making anti-gov't setiment and deviant behavior seem like a fiction story while lying down the foundation of an actual super-jail. the ultimate prison is one of the mind.

Maybe the idea is to put rebellion into our kids heads in hopes there will be small upstarts.
This could effectively take the head of the beast that we call dissent.
Note: I have put in bold, your comment that I am specifically answering to.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

You could decide which politicians by using the same as the book, a lottery.
This just might cut down on career politicians as well.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

unless they want us to get all rebellious and hop on the Co-opted wagon.
Remember, the first matrix was perfect, no suffering. But for some were reason it failed. We can't live without drama.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

of course schools censor what you can read for school credit/what is available at school. i would do the same if i was in charge. for example, i would not let kids read books glorifying rape or drugs. even extremely well written ones like "kind of blue" by Haruki Murakami.

hunger games book actually does not glorify violence at all but shows how horrible violence is but at the same time how people can so easily revert to this simplistic mentality when told they must by their government.

i'll say this again, if you actually read the battle royale and compare it to hunger games they are vastly different in everything besides the fact that the kids compete in a battle together. The entire third book has nothing to do with battle royale and is about rebellion. about half of the first book is about katniss and her world, not the battles. violence is depicted as cruel and ugly. alot of the story involves her avoiding violence as strongly as she can.

compared to battle royale which has almost no backstory and is entirely a emotionless horrorshow of violence.

you admit yourself that the government does not control what is printed. don't hop on what everyone else is saying like a sheeple and get back to us after you read what in my opinion (having read about 3 to 4 books a week average since age 8) is one of the most well written books and anarchistic books of the 21st century

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Hunger games is a story of REbellioN against a CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!! it is one of the most well written and emotional young adult books. the language is simple enough for a 10 year old to read but it is still a good book. It is on the surface very similar to battle royale but if you actually read the book it is nothing like Battle royale.( haven't watched the movie)

has anyone actually read the series that so easily compares it to battle royale? they overthrow the corrupt government because of the forced hunger games, so it ends up being vastly different.

so no conspiracy theory.

if you are here than you understand the gov't is corrupt beyond repair. you also understand that they have extensive control over the media and printing press. furthermore, a governments main goal is self-preservation.

why would the government allow the release and grand promotion of simple to read anti-gov't book that kids can read? Sounds like self-defeating, unless there is a reason for it all...

like making anti-gov't setiment and deviant behavior seem like a fiction story while lying down the foundation of an actual super-jail. the ultimate prison is one of the mind.

Maybe the idea is to put rebellion into our kids heads in hopes there will be small upstarts.
This could effectively take the head of the beast that we call dissent.
Note: I have put in bold, your comment that I am specifically answering to.

read my entire reply. this would make no sense in terms of self-preservation.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

your entire reply is invalid because you admit that the governement does not control the books that are published. that is why you can so easily find non fiction books criticizing governmental policies and showing different systems at your local book store.

for example even during the whole communist scare you could still find the communist manifesto.
for example, organic gardening books that criticize modern agriculture sell very very well. they are definatley the most popular gardening books.

yes our government definately heavily controls the media but they do not yet have that level of control over the publishing industry. probably because most people can't be bothered to pick up a book

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

of course schools censor what you can read for school credit/what is available at school. i would do the same if i was in charge. for example, i would not let kids read books glorifying rape or drugs. even extremely well written ones like "kind of blue" by Haruki Murakami.

hunger games book actually does not glorify violence at all but shows how horrible violence is but at the same time how people can so easily revert to this simplistic mentality when told they must by their government.

i'll say this again, if you actually read the battle royale and compare it to hunger games they are vastly different in everything besides the fact that the kids compete in a battle together. The entire third book has nothing to do with battle royale and is about rebellion. about half of the first book is about katniss and her world, not the battles. violence is depicted as cruel and ugly. alot of the story involves her avoiding violence as strongly as she can.

compared to battle royale which has almost no backstory and is entirely a emotionless horrorshow of violence.

you admit yourself that the government does not control what is printed. don't hop on what everyone else is saying like a sheeple and get back to us after you read what in my 'professional" opinion is one of the most well written books and anarchistic books of the 21st century

I'm sorry you feel the need to lower yourself to name calling. I thought we were having an adult conversation about our opinions of the system, but you seem to seek to divide. to each his own.

back to the matter at hand. we have est. that hunger games is dulled down version of battle royal so you pointing out the differences between the two in the way of intensity is redundant. and yet the point of it all holds the same.

In these times of the second arab spring and OWS it is only logical for the tptb to put out a movie that glorifies a rebellion. They want a rebellion to loss control so that they can forcibly gain control as they have done in less militarized countries such as Lybia and Iraq.

If you dont see eye to eye with fine, but I know there are some who will and wont read the post and can make sense of everything I am saying.

I do not need to read the bible in length to understand its corruption and its use as a tool of control.

peace to you

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

your entire reply is invalid because you admit that the governement does not control the books that are published. that is why you can so easily find non fiction books criticizing governmental policies and showing different systems at your local book store.

for example even during the whole communist scare you could still find the communist manifesto.
for example, organic gardening books that criticize modern agriculture sell very very well. they are definatley the most popular gardening books.

no its a different way of looking at control.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

lol i must have hurt your feelings with my logic and use of facts. sorry. i just said don't be a sheeple and read what youre debating. it can be hard to have an adult debate, for sure.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have read all the books in the trilogy and will be seeing the midnight showing of the film tonight. Not once did I ever get that vibe from this story that it's all pro-big government propaganda. If you've ever read them, you'll know that it's about a group of common citizens (children, no less) who lead a successful rebellion against this all powerful gov't.

It is simply asinine to claim something is a conspiracy without knowing the facts.

Also, to the Battle Royale comparisons: there are some similarities, but there are also glaring differences between the two tales. Collins claims she had not even heard of BR until after she finished her book. I think I'm going to believe her.
edit on 3/22/2012 by ForeverDusk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

(shakes head) okay

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

so no conspiracy theory.

Oh, dear Lord.

Why would the government ALLOW the release of this book? Are you kidding me????? America is far from perfect, but they still ALLOW us to read fiction.

Dude, you need to get out in the fresh air for awhile.
edit on 22-3-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
TEAM GALE!

Seriously though .. I don't know how they are going to translate the books to a PG-13 movie. 22 of the tributes are murdered in the first book alone. All the tributes are teenagers. I don't know how on earth they can translate 22 teens murdering each other to try to stay alive ....

Guess we'll find out tomorrow when it comes out ...

(and the third book? the massive deaths and killings ... how on earth can that be made PG-13??)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Maybe.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

so the governement is seeking to control me through my latest read on organic gardening; which entolls the dangers of chemicals and gasoline in modern agriculture and explains how unsustainable this is, and then tells me how to build a very good, rich humus soil for low to no cost so that i don't have to rely on store bought vegetables?

they must be more nefarious than i thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join