It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunger Games "Conspiracy"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I am not implying that there is certainly an actual organized conspiracy here. I am just pointing out the possibility:

This being the opening weekend of the film "The Hunger Games", I am noticing an unprecedented level of advertising and discussion everywhere I go: newspapers, family members, TV, even ads on websites that don't normally have such ads. I got a giant ad when I logged into eBay. There's also an article about the film on the main page of the Weather Channel website. I could find many more examples. In other words it's practically impossible to be an average internet user and avoid being exposed to the existence of this film.

I realize its a big-budget film at a time when Hollywood doesn't normally have much else to advertise. So in that sense, it's normal.

However, this is a very dark, very disturbing, very adult-oriented film. The novel was one of the most disturbing things I've ever experienced. It's reasonably well-written but not uplifting in the way of most popular fantasy and sci-fi (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars & Trek, Harry Potter, etc). It's a survival-of-the-fittest story. It's a story that pays lip service to compassion and empathy while trading their actual practice for violence and cruelty in the name of survival.

So I strongly feel that this story is not something that seems appropriate to be paraded around as family entertainment. In fact I would be uncomfortable in the presence of anyone who found this kind of story to be entertaining. Consequently I am very curious as to why the film is being promoted so heavily. It's not something that will, in any way, make the world a better place. In fact, I'm concerned that millions more people being exposed to this story and its cynical message will, in small but very real ways, make the world a worse place.

So in conclusion....does anyone think TPTB are promoting this so heavily because they want us to watch it to make us more negative and cynical and selfish and "lower our vibrations"?
edit on 22-3-2012 by elliotmtl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hey there.Whats this movie about-is it something like The Road with Viggo Mortensen? (i can't wait to see that one) Sorry for the ignorance,but im down here in Africa,we get everything later,and i don't watch tv.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

they are prepping us.

just imagine how different the world would be if most movies were about winnie the pooh and the hunt for honey.. you ever want to point a finger directly towards blue beam or other pyschological control this would be it.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I assumed that I were an average internet user and i've not seen anything of this yet, though I might just be blind
I still don't even know what the film is about - though i'm not overly too interested :p

I heard on the radio that whatever it is about it's meant to be a big hit, so I guess that will be why the big advertising budget for it.

link   
reply to post by elliotmtl

Hunger games is nothing more than a cheap watered down version of the 2000 Japanese film "Battle Royale".
Here we go again with another over hyped teenage propaganda sensation just like Harry Potter. Some mediocre writer comes out of nowhere ripping off someone else's idea's, dressing it up in fantasy or whatever and for some strange reason get the most unbelievable advertising and backing.Then all the brainwashed teenagers go ga ga over it because if your a book writer everyone knows the most money to be made is from the market of teenagers between 12 and 16. Then you'll get all these brain dead adults jumping on the trendy bandwagon , so they have something to talk about when Joe at the water cooler goes , "hey seen the hunger game yet?" Then they can go, "oh hey I read the book." I saw it happen with harry Potter. People I new who never ever read books jumped on the band wagon so fast. I remember the looks I got from everyone when I said I had never read Harry Potter or saw the movies. It was like I was a leper or something. I see the same game being played here again. This is the only way Hollywood makes money now a days.Except for Adam Sandler movies. Which he pumps out every six months and none of them get over a 2 in rating, but for some reason they make hundreds of millions.
Watch Battle Royale. It'll make this piece of trype look like a joke.
www.imdb.com...

link   

Not all books need to be uplifting. I felt like the books were about exposing a corrpit government and two young teenagers trying to overcome and say no to the cruelity the government inflicted upon its citizens. I never once saw it as a dark book. Yes there were dark subjects touched, but the government made it that way. If anything, I see it as an anti big government message. Maybe that's why its being so promoted. Maybe Hollywood has its head on straight right now.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
From what I know about this, both the movie and the book are almost identical to the movie and book called Battle Royale.

I tried to read the book but after I got through the first chapter, I realized it was dumbed down Scholastic garbage for mass consumption.
I have no idea how this is getting so big. Especially considering how dark and strange it is. I wouldn't expect kids of the new generation to understand it, and maybe they dont, its just a fad.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I read the book recently and I think it was pretty dang good for a book aimed at "young adults". Although I definitely don't think it should be promoted as family friendly....for pete's sake they put kids in a place together to kill each other off! Last one standing wins, and this is 12-18 year olds! There is a Japanese film (adapted from a book) called "Battle Royale" that is similar yet different and I think the concept of it is actually pretty scary. In the Japanese version, the kids all knew each other, they went to the same school and were in the same class..I think the Hunger Games is very "1984", not that it is similar and it's definitely not as good but it has the same vibe to it....you do things, you get punished, and not just you but EVERYONE will suffer.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It would certainly seem that this could be the case. It was a book that was given to my child, and he is in middle school. I do think that they are trying to steal a generation and indoctrinate them to this mode of thinking. Survival of the fittest, kill or be killed, kill or starve. It would seem that they are trying to get us to become normalized to this mode of thinking for some reason.

It would seem that this is the type of world TPTB would want us to live in: Gladiator style. Entertainment for the masses, death and destruction. I think it is because they are not ready to give up their power bases. Even though they know that they can't take their toys and wealth with them when they die and will have to face themselves when they go through their life review on death of the body.

Silly PTB, always trying to be on top. Oh well, what you put out is what you get back; golden rule, karma.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

my reply took so long that I was the 3rd person to mention Battle Royale. Not a coincidence!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You know what book kids REALLY need a new addition of right now?

"The Little Red Schoolbook"

I think that's something that if updated, kids would really understand, appreciate, and apply to their lives.
It could actually be helpful.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

yep most def. I tried explaining this to my co-workers. most of them female are all about reading the book (either physical or digital: nook/kindle). People dont get that most movies or books that are really popular anymore is because it has been done before and the habitual nature of humans find it comforting on a sub-conscious level to see a repeat of the same story. Plus after a decade or so its somehow "fresh."

I'm going to check out battle royal and menion it to my co workers.

edit on 22-3-2012 by ImmortalThought because: battle royal

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
It would seem that this is the type of world TPTB would want us to live in: Gladiator style. Entertainment for the masses, death and destruction

I have done my best to avoid this book and movie at all costs, but I have heard about it of course.
I was highly suspicious when I first started hearing about it from all angles, like they NEEDED people to see it.

Now to your quote. I believe we already live in this state of mind, and I would assume this type of movie would be used to solidify the indoctrination. Have you ever typed "gun battle" into Youtube? what happens?
You get an entire archive of Gun battle footage from World war 2 right up to yesterday in some hole in Afghanistan if you look right.

It's unscripted and brought to us, by us. The demand is there.
but the supply is draining, so the need to continue the mindset increases, as does their profit.

EDIT: just read the wikipedia article of the film's plot.

At an unidentified future date, the nation of Panem has risen out of the ruins of what was once known as North America. Due to an unsuccessful uprising by the districts of Panem, a raffle (known as the "reaping") is held to choose one boy and one girl, aged 12–18, from each of the twelve districts to participate in the Hunger Games, a competition in which each contestant, or tribute, battles until only one is left. The winner receives honor, gifts, and enough food and supplies to never worry about anything ever again. The Hunger Games are a yearly reminder to the 12 districts of the Capitol's authority, and punishment for their rebellion over 70 years ago, in which the 13th district was supposedly destroyed.

Sounds like a mind preparation model for a post-economic collapse. Post-North America.
The fact it's being mass marketed should scream in our faces.

Katniss ultimately succeeds in killing all of the other 22 children

SO COOL, RIGHT? Right after that French Terrorist kills those children and everyone wishes he gets tortured before a slow death, people make no friggin sense.

Killing children is in our entertainment then someone acts it out and it's beyond horrible.
Yet people will watch this gladly dish out their money for it with a big dumb smile.

edit on 22-3-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hunger games is a story of REbellioN against a CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!! it is one of the most well written and emotional young adult books. the language is simple enough for a 10 year old to read but it is still a good book. It is on the surface very similar to battle royale but if you actually read the book it is nothing like Battle royale.( haven't watched the movie)

has anyone actually read the series that so easily compares it to battle royale? they overthrow the corrupt government because of the forced hunger games, so it ends up being vastly different.

so no conspiracy theory.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Dont think theres any conspiracy mate. Just advertising and publicity.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The story is actually of a corrupt government that withholds commodities and technologies from its people and forces them to pay tribute (in the form of young gladiators) to remind them who is in charge. The politicians live lives of excess while the common people starve and are hounded by unfair laws. The governement keeps people dependent on themselves by outlawing things like hunting and make people dependent on governement by something similar to food stamps.

it could even be compared to some modern governments in this sense

the hero goes through 3 hunger games before she realizes she doesn't have to do what the government tells her and she ends up leading a rebellion to overthrow the corrupt government.

this is actually a story of rebellion against the corrupt powers that be, against all odds and how anyone can start a revolution. This story falls in line with many themes on this board of fighting corruption and not accepting the status quo.

its a three book series by the way
edit on 22-3-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I read all 3 books and I was thoroghly entertained.
This is not a series of happy meadows filled with deer and lions living in peace, it is a story of coping, doing what has to be done and learning to live with it.
Personally I like the idea of the hunger games, every year we should pick 2 politicians from each of the 50 districts (states) and do the same thing.
Maybe only folks who want to help would run for office in that case.

edit on 22-3-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephlim
Hunger games is a story of REbellioN against a CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!! it is one of the most well written and emotional young adult books. the language is simple enough for a 10 year old to read but it is still a good book. It is on the surface very similar to battle royale but if you actually read the book it is nothing like Battle royale.( haven't watched the movie)

has anyone actually read the series that so easily compares it to battle royale? they overthrow the corrupt government because of the forced hunger games, so it ends up being vastly different.

so no conspiracy theory.

did you read what you wrote yourself? think about that...

if you are here than you understand the gov't is corrupt beyond repair. you also understand that they have extensive control over the media and printing press. furthermore, a governments main goal is self-preservation.

why would the government allow the release and grand promotion of simple to read anti-gov't book that kids can read? Sounds like self-defeating, unless there is a reason for it all...

like making anti-gov't setiment and deviant behavior seem like a fiction story while lying down the foundation of an actual super-jail. the ultimate prison is one of the mind.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

dont let your anger blur your vision for a better world.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by elliotmtl
So in conclusion....does anyone think TPTB are promoting this so heavily because they want us to watch it to make us more negative and cynical and selfish and "lower our vibrations"?

Nailed it right on the head! I do believe that they do that with a lot of things for that same reason. They like to throw the forbidden fruit at you in mass these days but in the end it's a personal choice to partake.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join