It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What actually sunk the Titanic?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This older thread has some convincing possibilities.

It was a German Sub.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
what is our deal with Titanic? why do we need to keep reliving it every 5 years?
there was a new show on about it just last night I was watching.
same crap as the movie except one guy mentioned that the Irish would eventually rebel Britains rule.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
what is our deal with Titanic? why do we need to keep reliving it every 5 years?
there was a new show on about it just last night I was watching.
same crap as the movie except one guy mentioned that the Irish would eventually rebel Britains rule.

I'm with you... Titanic captured imaginations when it was 'out there...somewhere' but they found it, solved the mysteries and are now watching it slowly dissolve into a pile of rotting rust on the bottom of the Atlantic.

I kinda thought the whole romance of the topic was gone after the BIG movie came out to put a cherry on top of the endless research and recovery operations. What more is there?

It sank...it's over....and Branson, Mo has a museum to go see if anyone really wants to. (They even sell T-shirts so you can say you have one. lol )

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here's a better question? Who cares what sunk the Titanic? (apart from everyone in this thread obviously)

It happened 100 years ago. It's not relevant to anything important today. It happened, and it's over....I'm confused, why people still try to figure it out when there are WAY more important, immediate, and even interesting issues at hand that we need to worry about. Even if it is a conspiracy of some sort, big deal...it's in the past...LONG in the past...

THIS...is a redundant, and trivial topic compared to the things on the world scene that should be discussed and taken action on....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatcherMan
Here's a better question? Who cares what sunk the Titanic? (apart from everyone in this thread obviously)

It happened 100 years ago. It's not relevant to anything important today. It happened, and it's over....I'm confused, why people still try to figure it out when there are WAY more important, immediate, and even interesting issues at hand that we need to worry about. Even if it is a conspiracy of some sort, big deal...it's in the past...LONG in the past...

THIS...is a redundant, and trivial topic compared to the things on the world scene that should be discussed and taken action on....

Good God man !!!

It stimulates controversial discussion and is very very interesting !!

Jeesh.

I think a German Sub poked a single torpedo into the Titanic.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
They let the woman drive?

(using 2nd line to duck out of the way!)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm going with iceberg the collision caused Titanic's hull plates to buckle inwards in a number of locations on her starboard side and opened five of her sixteen watertight compartments .I seriously doubt it was anything else but an iceberg..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

OK...I'm gonna do something here I rarely ever do....and that's RETRACT something I said earlier because I was wrong. IDK why but I could have sworn the titanic was sunk in 1919. Not 1912. With that said...thanks for the link to the other thread, which helped clear my memory up.

Now....I still think it was an iceberg, but the thought of a sub is intriguing. The RMS Lusitania was indeed sunk in 1915 by a German U-boat, so it is possible that it happened in 1912 as well. Especially one which all the world was watching. However, in 1912, Germany was not really at odds with Great Britain in any way that would have caused an unprovoked attack on a passenger ship. And in the 1915 case, WWI was already in full swing. There were some very famous people on board the ship...including some Germans.

There were many numerous other ships which reported icebergs in the area. And it is known that the ships First Officer spotted ice and order maneuvers to clear it, but without luck. The captain himself was arrogant enough to state that he had no fear of ice harming a ship such as the Titanic.

I did check my sources on this before I posted this time. I do apologize for posting wrong info earlier since I was apparently rather off on my dates. Since I was a history major in college, I am prepared now for my public flogging!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I saw the same documentary and I agree; there is no mysterious cause or cover up etc. OP in the documentary, they showed underwater video of the hull, the titanic required an astronomical amount of rivets, and many were inferior in craftsmanship.

They tested two plates using the exact technology using both types of rivets, one type held the other type had catastrophic failure; under much less pressure than expected. If the titanic had started it's turn a little sooner it would have never sank, as the rivets busted in on just a few feet into the 5th containment bulkhead; if I remember correctly, if only 4 filled it would have been able to stay afloat as that was how it was designed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join