It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations on Best Generator?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

For what you are looking to power and the amount you will have to spend, why don't you just build one?
Get an old volvo diesel and hook it permanently to a generator.
Sounds pretty bulletproof to me.
Build a small frame with some motor mounts, even a caveman could do it!

(Edit)
Gaz, do you have a kill-a-watt?
They go for around 30 bucks USD and let you know alot about your power consumption.
From there you can accurately estimate what exactly you will need.
Definitely worth the money.
edit on 22-3-2012 by g146541 because: kill-a-watt

edit on 22-3-2012 by g146541 because: I definately cannot spell definitely...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I'm not so sure I'd trust this caveman (me) to build something that will interface with my home wiring setup, and expensive appliances, etc.

I'd rather spend the dough and have it professionally done....than burn the house down.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

NO NO NO!!!
You are overthinking this.
Someone has already done the fine wiring and thinking that I and apparently you as well hate to do.Gen Head
Here are some examples, PRICY but examples none the less.
Nothing that a lil bit of shopping around can't fix.
If you can pass as a shade tree mechanic, you can do this easy.

Slap one of these on a volvo diesel and you gots POWAAH forever.
or until you run out of fuel.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I have 6500 watt I got for like 600.00 bucks i wired it to my panel all i have to do is plug in the 220 plug that runs outta my panel and flip off the 2 main breakers and start it up runs my whole house just like i was on the grid 6500 will do everything u need except the stove it draws way to many amps but u should be able to run ur ac 3 tons or less. my gen was just a cheap on but has a brigs and straton engine thats the main thing what kind of engine it has on it not so much the brand.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Personally I like the British military Onan portable generators. Have you checked out this link? They have sales all over the US and often have both military and non military generators for sale + millions of other items.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have two of these.
ETQ 8,250-Watt Gasoline-Powered Portable Generator

You may need a transfer switch as well.
www.steadypower.com.../Manual-Transfer-Switches/With-Pre%252dWired-Branch-Circuits
edit on 22-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by g146541

I'm not so sure I'd trust this caveman (me) to build something that will interface with my home wiring setup, and expensive appliances, etc.

I'd rather spend the dough and have it professionally done....than burn the house down.

Gazroc, if you can put together a simple computer, then you could do this. It took me about 8 hours, including pounding an 8 foot grounding rod into the ground ( for grounding the 2 generators).

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah living comfortably off the grid is important,been doing that for about 10 years.
Last time the power went out in this area ,I heard a loud scream from down in the valley " Wheres my Facebook gone arghh"
Couldnt help but laugh and cranked the stereo up to 10

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Well, I'm not opposed to examining different angles...but the added thing is, "Can I convince the wife?". I can put together a computer and do basic car repairs (i.e. replacing what I think is broken).

I have 6500 watt I got for like 600.00 bucks i wired it to my panel all i have to do is plug in the 220 plug that runs outta my panel and flip off the 2 main breakers and start it up runs my whole house just like i was on the grid 6500 will do everything u need except the stove it draws way to many amps but u should be able to run ur ac 3 tons or less. my gen was just a cheap on but has a brigs and straton engine thats the main thing what kind of engine it has on it not so much the brand.

Yep, I did learn that much, the engine is important. Nice comment about the stove, I could do without that in a disaster scenario. When you say everything, do you mean central heat and air too? Because that's a biggie in sweltering FL. In fact, if it could do only the AC and the Fridge, I'd be fine if it was a disaster situation. Light? I have oil lamps. Stove? I have the gas grill.

Yeah living comfortably off the grid is important,been doing that for about 10 years.

What do you use for power? I'd have to think that fuel would be more expensive than getting it from the grid. Do you not have AC or just use very little power?
edit on 23-3-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Whatever generator you decide always look for fuel consumption fuel primarliy full load and half load.

Storage is a simple as getting a couple of 55 gallon barrel drums small package and can be plumbed to the generator and easily moved and refilled.

Never quite understood the push for LP and :LNG generators i guess they are suppose to work when powerlines go down and of course if the pumping stations keep their power.

I do think onsite fuel storage is the only option the rest of area can burn down but as long as where you are is un effected you should be golden.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Replace TV with RADIO. That will cut a good slice out of your power needs.
ALSO: if you have a deep freeze, keep a couple blocks of ice in the corner. When the power goes out, put the ice blocks in the top shelf of your fridge. That will help your power demands from the fridge during a generator situation.
edit on 23-3-2012 by therealdemoboy because: ICE

top topics

<< 1   >>

join