It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations on Best Generator?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I've looked into the backup ones (that kick on when the power is out)...a bit over $2000 but also require natural gas or LP (which I don't have).

I'd hate to go with a portable one, but may just have to do either that or go for installing a propane tank, etc. to do it.

Anybody else had this issue, and come up with a good solution?

Here in Florida, never know when even a mild tropical storm could knock out power....

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Solar Power bro...
Best kind.

And make your own..
You can use a 'bike' to generate power, you can get a fat person to do it for you!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by matty1053

Do you know how much it would cost in solar panels, etc. to power a fridge, oven, AC, and TV? No thanks. Eventually, I may look into it as a supplement or something, but the tech is just not there yet, for it to be viable from a cost perspective.

Now, between the house and the two stables, I've got a bit of roof to support the panels, but egads...the cost of those panels (for how little power I'd get out of them)...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Think about a small inverter type Jenny ,dont want to fry your laptop . 1000 watts should cover your lights,tv and PS3

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Generac makes a reliable generator, i have used mine off and on for 10 years without incident.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have portable. I chose that for the ability to move it where needed. Hate to have a permanent one with a fallen wall sitting on it. Also have propane....love it! I had my smaller tank changed out for a much larger one last year to take advantage of the lower prices on gas.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
4 stroke, diesel, SILENT...
generator noise stands out like a sore "Good eats!" thumb

also with a little prep bio diesel isn't too hard to make in a along term SHTF situation

link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Do you know how much it would cost in solar panels, etc. to power a fridge, oven, AC, and TV? No thanks. Eventually, I may look into it as a supplement or something, but the tech is just not there yet, for it to be viable from a cost perspective.

Now, between the house and the two stables, I've got a bit of roof to support the panels, but egads...the cost of those panels (for how little power I'd get out of them)...

If you're looking to power your fridge, oven, AC, and more, you probably need to rethink your $2000 budget. You're talking more like a diesel solution. Those are some power-hungry appliances.

link   
reply to post by 12voltz

To be honest, my priorities would be:

1) Fridge (or a lot of food goes bad, costing money (and of course food))
2) AC (I live in FL, it gets HOT here in the spring/summer/fall) (heck, even winter sometimes)
3) TV (for news)
4) Oven (would be nice to still be able to cook, but no issue just grilling either)

Lights are down the list. I've got no problem using oil lamps and candles.
If it's real hot, I'd also want to get power to the fans in the stables for the horses, but that's another problem, as they are far from the house. In that case, a portable generator may be the answer for them...but not for the house.

If you're looking to power your fridge, oven, AC, and more, you probably need to rethink your $2000 budget. You're talking more like a diesel solution. Those are some power-hungry appliances.

I could budget more, but the LP/Natural Gas ones I found were in the $2000 to $3000 range and were 10,000 watts (which should be enough). Problem is, I'd also have to install a propane tank to feed it...which I can do, but the cost of this whole project has to be something I can live with.

Generac makes a reliable generator, i have used mine off and on for 10 years without incident.

Yep, the one I was looking at is a Generac.

As for the diesel, haven't seen those, so if you know of a good one, please post a link or make/model, and I'll be glad to look it up. Thanks.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Something I have on my to do list is to investigate DC power. My initial thinking is for solar power but as you say the cost is prohibitive. Unless you can scrap a system together using pieces and parts, which is something I am currently working on. It is my understanding that DC is better in some aspects. I think what I need to first investigate is the cost and/or availability of DC appliances as they are biggest power hogs. I know they exist, but not sure if they exist for the purposes for homes. If the DC appliances are available, then I think solar would be a little more affordable. But the cost of the appliances still remains to be seen.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Ok i was just thinking on a small scale .But it seems you will require more power than a little portable Gen.
Air con,fridge ,oven anything that produces heat or cold requires lots of power so maybe a diesel generator would be the go
Edit :just saw your edit .
edit on 22-3-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
A lot of good things to be said about the automatic units. In your case, most certainly propane or Diesel. Years ago I lived near Wilmington NC and lived through a couple of Hurricanes and subsequent power outages. My neighbors house got very popular in the weeks afterwards. He had a whole house back up system (kohler) that ran off of propane. It was a smaller unit about 8-10Kw.

Good luck and stay safe.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Sounds like it, guess I'll search on those and see what I find. Our largest truck uses diesel, so in a pinch, could always get more from it, hehe...

As for those saying I'd be ringing the dinner bell...

This isn't for a long-term SHTF solution, but more for a disaster event that may leave us without power for days or weeks (like a hurricane)....and I'd like to be able to live comfortably while off the grid for a few days. At least we have well water, so don't have to worry about a city water supply issue.

Besides, it's on a 5 acre ranch, so if it's quiet enough, shouldn't draw too much attention.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Hi.

With solar, you can have an inverter to power a light bulb inside; 24-7-365; using a few panels indoors. You can still trickle charge your system at night.

The more amps you can store, the less the demand on the panels will be. By isolating batteries/inverters much like a fuze panel, you can switch off single circuits, or run them simultaneously.

TBH; I haven't put this to use yet as my regulator needs an up-grade/faulty.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

YOU might get sick of the racket pretty quick too

we lose power here every once in awhile for weeks at a time

Long runs of xtension cord eat your volts and amps too so it ends up being right near by the use point
edit on 22-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
main thing should be having a battery backup that will cover whatever time for your system to kick in so should you need uninterupted power for medical reasons etc you wont have to worry

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I bought a 5500W Generac back in 1999 when I built my house. I installed a manual transfer switch that will power selected circuits in the house including the well pump, oil burner, living room (TV. sound, computers, reef tank, lights, comm equipment...), kitchen and fridge (inluding microwave). I can set it up in 2min and it has always started on the first pull.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Solar and Wind powered Generators would certainly be free to operate and generate electricity in the extreme cases. Otherwise definitely I would like to invest in a Diesel Generator as they last longer and are fuel efficient. Also in a SHTF scenario, bio-diesel might just be available more openly.

Gas generators are quiet but where would you buy gasoline unless the engine can run on alcohol/ethanol/methanol then you might have a long shot of obtaining some from corn or similar crop based commodity or byproducts of moonshine or whiskey or rum.
edit on 22-3-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It seems as if the most common ones I'm finding, (diesel generators, 10,000 watts) are around the $5500 range. A bit pricey for something I may hardly ever use.... Still, for what I want to do, this is about right.

I'll look into smaller ones like one of the above posters mentioned (I didn't even consider the well pump, as I'm new to that...thanks for that mention...).

I may get a smaller generator for now, and then maybe if we actually have to use it, it will make the selling case for a larger one better, hehe...
(then we could always move the smaller one near the stables to power the fans in an emergency).

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

It seems as if the most common ones I'm finding, (diesel generators, 10,000 watts) are around the $5500 range. A bit pricey for something I may hardly ever use.... Still, for what I want to do, this is about right.

I'll look into smaller ones like one of the above posters mentioned (I didn't even consider the well pump, as I'm new to that...thanks for that mention...).

I may get a smaller generator for now, and then maybe if we actually have to use it, it will make the selling case for a larger one better, hehe...
(then we could always move the smaller one near the stables to power the fans in an emergency).

I think you are making a wise decision. You can upgrade later if needed. You may even decide 2 portable ones will fit your needs better.

Des

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join