It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

62 meter astroid will be comming between the Earth and Moon

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
According to spaceweather.com and JPL
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
2012EG5 will come between the Moon and Earth ( are you ready for this
) on April 1, 2012.
2012EG5 will pass 0.6 LD from Earth. 1 LD (the distance to the moon) is 384,401 km or 238855 miles.
So before the doom sayer's jump on this, I believe this will be another non event.
But I've been wrong before.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


Nice find....yeah, on the orbit diagram it says .0026 au. I thought ones this close were always reported. Usually they are on RSOE. When was this one discovered?



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
According to spaceweather.com and JPL
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
2012EG5 will come between the Moon and Earth ( are you ready for this
) on April 1, 2012.
2012EG5 will pass 0.6 LD from Earth. 1 LD (the distance to the moon) is 384,401 km or 238855 miles.
So before the doom sayer's jump on this, I believe this will be another non event.
But I've been wrong before.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)


Posted yesterday -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Never mind that was DA14 - Just about the same size - About a football field and a half - might make a good show depending on the arrival and where you are. I doubt a rock that size is any cause for concern.
edit on 22-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Nevermind....just saw it was only first observed on the 13th of this month......not very long ago. And I thought we had all these things plotted out already.




Orbit Determination Parameters
# obs. used (total) 90
data-arc span 8 days
first obs. used 2012-03-13
last obs. used 2012-03-21
planetary ephem. DE405
SB-pert. ephem. SB405-CPV-2
condition code 7
fit RMS .31886
data source ORB
producer Otto Matic
solution date 2012-Mar-22 00:50:25



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nobody will believe an asteroid that arrives on april's fool...

I mean, come on... any asteroid that takes himself seriously knows he cant arrive on a april's fool... this is just one misinformed dumb asteroid.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
reply to post by Violater1
 


Nice find....yeah, on the orbit diagram it says .0026 au. I thought ones this close were always reported. Usually they are on RSOE. When was this one discovered?


According to JPL, "2012-03-13." ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
Cutting it kind of close aye?



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
When it passes will we be able to see it? Like a silhouette on the moon?

What if it's a craft.. Then if anyone gets pictures they can claim April fools hoax...



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Originally posted by Violater1
According to spaceweather.com and JPL
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
2012EG5 will come between the Moon and Earth ( are you ready for this
) on April 1, 2012.
2012EG5 will pass 0.6 LD from Earth. 1 LD (the distance to the moon) is 384,401 km or 238855 miles.
So before the doom sayer's jump on this, I believe this will be another non event.
But I've been wrong before.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)


Already posted yesterday -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Never mind that was DA14 -
edit on 22-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



I did a search with the notorious ATS search engine and found nothing.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Originally posted by Violater1
According to spaceweather.com and JPL
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
2012EG5 will come between the Moon and Earth ( are you ready for this
) on April 1, 2012.
2012EG5 will pass 0.6 LD from Earth. 1 LD (the distance to the moon) is 384,401 km or 238855 miles.
So before the doom sayer's jump on this, I believe this will be another non event.
But I've been wrong before.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)


Already posted yesterday -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Never mind that was DA14 -
edit on 22-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)



I did a search with the notorious ATS search engine and found nothing.


No my bad, there was one yesterday with the a path between the moon and earth, about the same size 50 meters.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


This year, hence the name, i would assume. This is only 62m diameter at .0015. FF to Mar 31 in the orbit diagram, change the Date interval from 1day to 1hour, then click through by hour. Closes approach dist is .0015AU = 224,400 km.

Lovejoy passes even closer, and I think was larger?? but you couldnt even see it with a naked eye. I dont anticipate any effects from this one.

However, I do find it curious that is not listed on the upcoming 'Close Approach Data'. OP, how did you find this?
I would definitely consider this a 'close approach'.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
50-64 meters isnt big enough to harm anyone (unless they super duper unlucky)
by time it hits earth will be size of a golf ball


wake me up when Apophis is due



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


This year, hence the name, i would assume. This is only 62m diameter at .0015. FF to Mar 31 in the orbit diagram, change the Date interval from 1day to 1hour, then click through by hour. Closes approach dist is .0015AU = 224,400 km.

Lovejoy passes even closer, and I think was larger?? but you couldnt even see it with a naked eye. I dont anticipate any effects from this one.

However, I do find it curious that is not listed on the upcoming 'Close Approach Data'. OP, how did you find this?
I would definitely consider this a 'close approach'.



Perusing Spaceweather.com spaceweather.com...



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That's actually not that big of a deal.

We had another one cruise through somewhere around there a few months back, no big deal.

The one that's going to get really close is the one in like 2026 (?)...it dips below our low orbit space satellites...now that one... just might be effected by gravity and say hello when it comes back through 4 years later....even the experts can't predict the effect, if any, of gravity on this thing when it gets that close.

I am not positive on the dates...it's still a few years out though.

CORRECTION:

It's asteroid Apophis and it swings below our low orbit satellites in 2029 and returns 7 years later...not 4. ( I had to look it up and correct my earlier fail)

Here's a NASA link about it.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 3/22/2012 by Damrod because: Added correct information



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by Violater1
 


Happens all the time, op. trying to make a conspiracy about it is insane.


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Reply to post by Violater1
 

Happens all the time, op. trying to make a conspiracy about it is insane.
 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 




What are you talking about?
Don't be a hater. Just chill out dude. Drink a beer or something



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Nobody will believe an asteroid that arrives on april's fool...

I mean, come on... any asteroid that takes himself seriously knows he cant arrive on a april's fool... this is just one misinformed dumb asteroid.


Or maybe the joke's on us
Hope it doesnt crash over here !



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Nobody will believe an asteroid that arrives on april's fool...

I mean, come on... any asteroid that takes himself seriously knows he cant arrive on a april's fool... this is just one misinformed dumb asteroid.


Or maybe the joke's on us
Hope it doesnt crash over here !


You never know aye?


Just felt so appropriate.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Nevermind....just saw it was only first observed on the 13th of this month......not very long ago. And I thought we had all these things plotted out already.


Not small ones like that. An estimated 93% of asteroids 1km or larger have been discovered and have had their orbits plotted. Here's a link to a thread I made on that topic...

93% of Large Near Earth Asteroids Found and Pose No Risk



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Nevermind....just saw it was only first observed on the 13th of this month......not very long ago. And I thought we had all these things plotted out already.


Not small ones like that. An estimated 93% of asteroids 1km or larger have been discovered and have had their orbits plotted. Here's a link to a thread I made on that topic...

93% of Large Near Earth Asteroids Found and Pose No Risk


The 7% we worry about.



posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Nevermind....just saw it was only first observed on the 13th of this month......not very long ago. And I thought we had all these things plotted out already.


Not small ones like that. An estimated 93% of asteroids 1km or larger have been discovered and have had their orbits plotted. Here's a link to a thread I made on that topic...

93% of Large Near Earth Asteroids Found and Pose No Risk


The 7% we worry about.


Indeed we do! Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll only have the smaller ones to concern ourselves with.




top topics



 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join