It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC Nightline Falsely Reports Zimmerman "a white man" who shot a black man

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

When did I defend ABC here or the media at all?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
In some news stories (usually smaller, less popular sources) they refer to the shooter as hispanic, but in the rest they say white.

Sometimes Hispanics are included in the term "white" and White percentages of populations though. It depends how much Spanish and european they have in them vs native american. It depends on how they identify themselves.
edit on 3/22/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

It seems we are going back to the era of Rodney King...Stay tuned this story may cause societal events.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All I know is that of the the multitude of countries Ive been to, the US is the only one that required me to check a box for "race" on official papers.

Americans, divided and conquered through their own ignorant, racist tribalism.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Where to source reliable news? It's a good question. Actually, I live in the UK, and we have the advantage of our MSM having news sites linked with national newspapers, four of which, though they have their own political agendas, can together provide a pretty balanced view (these are the Times, Telegraph, Guardian and Independent, one to the right, one centre-right, two centre-left). The main national TV News channels shows, four of them, plus Sky News - a saner, though rightish version of Fox - also offer a pretty wide range of input, and national radio, plus the BBC World Service, shows little sign of bias or deception. I'm part-retired, so I'm lucky to have the time to take all this in. Oh, we've also just started getting PBS here, so I can learn from their news if I can stay awake long enough!

My politics are a bit left of centre (in favour of the National Health Service, helping those who need it, and not - like the great majority of us - at all interested in guns. I guess some ATS posters would call me a Communist!), so I favour the Guardian (a bit arty) and the Independent, which is strong on world news. But if I listen carefully to a range of the sources we have - and you can access - and then have a look at the latest postings on ATS, I'm pretty confident about drawing fairly sensible conclusions.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
it's all agenda just like the shooter in france. he was said to be some sort of "nazi", in spite of initial witnesses saying he was arabic.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Oh goodie another poor whites, victims of liberal media, whine fest.
As I just said in the other BS thread, everyone in America knows racism isn't restricted to whites...everyone but you guys.

That is BS.
If the media announced that a rape had occurred and simply said he was black with NOTHING to back that up you would have Al Sharpton,Jesse Jackson and the NAACP with press releases within the hour.
edit on 22-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
All I know is that of the the multitude of countries Ive been to, the US is the only one that required me to check a box for "race" on official papers.

Americans, divided and conquered through their own ignorant, racist tribalism.

You can thank affirmative action for that, now we all have quotas to fill. Because the concept of best man for the job is "racist".

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by satron
A lot of Hispanics do identify themselves as Caucasian. Just saying.

They don't "identify" themselves as Caucasian...they are Caucasian.

Hispanic is not a race...it's an ethnicity.

I don't expect most people here to comprehend this.

So what, are American Indians caucasian then? No. Because hispanics are basically the offspring of white spaniards that colonized the new world and reproduced with Indians. They are not white, and not caucasian. Try again.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

The polioce are the ones that identify Zimmerman as a "White Male"...see the police report below...and the officer that filed the report has a hispanic name so its not the media that has made this statement...but police.

cnninsession.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

Yes I know but he's not white and ABC Nightline made a point out of him being white, which he is clearly not. Then they repeated it several times.

Watch the video and see for yourself.

ETA: Reviewing now. First he says "charges of racism" "unarmed black teenager was shot down by a white neighborhood watchmen that claimed self defense"

Then they throw in that black guy who gunned down a white man in front of his daughter and state he is currently serving time and now claiming the self defense defense. Then they throw a picture of a white guy and say this guy gunned down people he thought were gang members and walked free.
edit on 22-3-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I have seen the pictures...and I try not to determine someones race by looks as I have friends that "look" white but identify themselves as being black...mother black and fathers white...also meet many people with traditional hispanic names but identify themselves as being white. I am not going to defend the press as its a story they can get a lot of mileage out of...but the report gives his race as "White Male" which means he may identify himself as white.

Now his own father identifies him as hispanic but raised in a multi cultured family...really should not matter the race and I guess that is what you are attempting to point out and I agree.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

Well his father said latino, but yeah you get the picture.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

BS, they don't go after every potential racially motivated crime, though I do not happen to like Al Sharpton one bit...I think he doesn't help anything, however that doesn't mean that because people like Sharpton exist that racism and racially motivated crimes don't exist.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

With the thread titled as it and the OP's post, something tells me that most don't

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I refrain myself from posting anymore but I have some questions and comments for this one.

Was the "white" guy following the black kid because he thought the kid looked suspicious or because he was black, thus he was suspicious? From what I have read, and what mr. "white" guy said on the phone, it was because the kid was black and he didn't belong in the neighborhood. That makes him racist, and a racist act, despite the fact if he was white or "Hispanic".

Self defense because the kid was punching him? How about, the kid was self defending himself from a person that was following him around and confronted him about his right to be where he was. I know that if anyone is following me around, it's not to give me money, thus I would feel threatened and I would either run or fight.

Not all "Hispanics" look alike, or resemble what you think a "Hispanic" is. Ask a Spaniard if they are "Hispanics", or an Argentinian for that matter. I know people that I know where they come from when they tell me themselves, other wise I would think they are White, or Black, or Asian. Hispanic is a category where people from "Latin America", Spanish speaking were put. Hell, even Latin American sounds ridiculous to me. When I was growing up ( obviously not in the U.S.) I didn't know what Latin America was, much less that America was 2 different continents. Only when I came to "America" (country that I love, respect and defend) was I put in the right way.

As a matter of fact, it's well known now, worldwide, that when you say America, Mexicans, Canadians and everybody else are not included in that term. Thank you, Hollywood, for that!

So, what am I? Am I Caribbean because I was born in the Caribbean? Yes! Am I Dominican because I was born and raised in the Dom. Rep.? Yes! Am I Hispanic because I was born in a Spanish speaking Country? What if I was born in NY and I don't speak Spanish? What if I was born in Spain? Have you seen people that look totally Japanese, they don't speak a word of Japanese, and when you ask them where they are from, they answer: Pero loco, yo soy Dominicano, loco. Tu ta' pasao!

Are Brazilians "Hispanics"? Are Oaxacans (which is definitely a race) "Hispanics" from Mexico?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by DJMSN

Well his father said latino, but yeah you get the picture.

Doesn't matter, there is no such thing as the 'hispanic' or 'latino' race. At best hispanics are a multi-racial group that share a common culture, racially they'll typically either identify as white, african or asian. The vast majority will identify as white simply because this is the racial group they may closely identify with, hispanics are largely mixed of spanish ancestry.

Now I find it funny how you are so adament about zimmerman not being white, as if it makes a difference to whether racism could have been a factor? You do realize that there is alot racism from the hispanic communities towards the black communities and vice versa? Have you been to Los Angeles? Have you seen how divided the hispanic/latino communities and black communities are there? This doesn't change anything.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It must be a slow news week Anderson Cooper on 360 is sure whipping this into a frenzy, shame someone made a rapid decision that ended in a death of a person Black white Hispanic or Yellow and now it looks like another Rodney King situation that will only be appeased when Zimmerman is given a life sentence, anything less will probably result in another Race Riot, where half of America will be looted.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Zimmerman is white. Hispanic is an ethnicity.

When the government takes a census you're given a choice of 4 major race categories: White, Black, Asian & Pacific Islander, and American Indian. Then you can mark one of the two subcategories, Hispanic or non-Hispanic.

I also find it humorous that the OP is complaining about media profiling when he/she is profiling his/her self.

www.census.gov...

WHITE HISPANIC -- This group can be thought of as the Hispanic portion of the White population, or as the White portion of the Hispanic population. Subtracting this group from TOTAL HISPANIC gives the total number of Hispanics who are either Black, American Indian or Alaska Native, or Asian or Pacific Islander.

edit on 22-3-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
it's all agenda just like the shooter in france. he was said to be some sort of "nazi", in spite of initial witnesses saying he was arabic.

It's not an agenda, and you certainly can be an Arabic nazi.

It's the media...There are going to be variances of the story from network to network. The initial story is going to change as more is learned.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join