It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Whitehouse introduces the DISCLOSE Act of 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) has
introduced some legislation that will prevent
political donors from "hiding" contibutions !!

With the Supreme Court ruling on
Citizens United, "super pacs" have become common.

Super pacs seem to be able to hide the real donors.

By Eric W. Dolan
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 19:32 EDT
The Raw Story

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) on Wednesday introduced the DISCLOSE Act of 2012, legislation that would prevent political donors from hiding their monetary contributions.

“The Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision has subjected the American people to a flood of political ads funded by anonymous donors,” said Whitehouse. “The American people deserve to know who is really behind these ads. This legislation will require organizations involved in elections to tell the public where they are getting their money, and what they are spending it on – shining a badly needed light into the activities of these groups.”

The Citizens United ruling gave rise to super PACS, which can raise an unlimited amount of money to influence federal elections as long as they do not directly coordinate with a candidate’s campaign.

Super PACs have quickly outpaced old-fashioned PACs, which can only accept annual donations of $5,000 or less and give a maximum of $5,000 per election to candidates, allowing campaign spending by outside groups to skyrocket. Super PACs have also exploited a loophole that allows them to postpone the disclosure of their donors until after the elections they participate in.
the DISCLOSE Act of 2012

Republicans have blocked similar legislation before

but I wonder if many Democrats are "guilty" of the same ??

This could be another public appeasement effort that will keep the status quo

for all politicians.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I feel like there are a few Democrats AND Republicans with a bit of sense about them. Hell, even the most far gone politicians can do some good (broken clock...ect...). So I say applaud this effort and get this crap passed because it would make candidates abusing super pacs red in the face when its publicly announced they are only staying afloat due to the "generosity" of a few billionaires.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thumbs up, maybe now the people will really know who and what they're voting for. Most of these politicians care little about us, they owe whoever funds their campaign.
edit on 22-3-2012 by willie9696 because: spelling lol

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Is there really a Senator Whitehouse???

That man should run for President someday.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) has
introduced some legislation that will prevent
political donors from "hiding" contibutions !!

With the Supreme Court ruling on
Citizens United, "super pacs" have become common.

Super pacs seem to be able to hide the real donors.

By Eric W. Dolan
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 19:32 EDT
The Raw Story

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) on Wednesday introduced the DISCLOSE Act of 2012, legislation that would prevent political donors from hiding their monetary contributions.

“The Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision has subjected the American people to a flood of political ads funded by anonymous donors,” said Whitehouse. “The American people deserve to know who is really behind these ads. This legislation will require organizations involved in elections to tell the public where they are getting their money, and what they are spending it on – shining a badly needed light into the activities of these groups.”

The Citizens United ruling gave rise to super PACS, which can raise an unlimited amount of money to influence federal elections as long as they do not directly coordinate with a candidate’s campaign.

Super PACs have quickly outpaced old-fashioned PACs, which can only accept annual donations of $5,000 or less and give a maximum of $5,000 per election to candidates, allowing campaign spending by outside groups to skyrocket. Super PACs have also exploited a loophole that allows them to postpone the disclosure of their donors until after the elections they participate in.
the DISCLOSE Act of 2012

Republicans have blocked similar legislation before

but I wonder if many Democrats are "guilty" of the same ??

This could be another public appeasement effort that will keep the status quo

for all politicians.

The democrat that is sponsoring the bill is just jealous that the GOP

can now blast Obama with a monster SuperPac.

Why exactly does he want the donors name, address, phone number etc???

I smell a rat.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I suppose he would have the advantage of a common name right away !!

It would be "The Whitehouse White House" ....

edit on Mar-22-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Argh! I was TOTALLY hoping for a different type of disclosure.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This is excellent.

And the GOP led House will never pass it....EVER!!!! I doubt it would even make it beyond a filibuster in the Senate.

If this were to happen, all the SuperPacs would have to show all their billionaire donors on every ad. That would instantly anger everyone.
edit on 22-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Whitehouse in the Whitehouse...I'd vote for him, and Elvis if he were still around.

new topics

top topics

join