It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sulfur smell here in Northwestern suburbs outside Chicago

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I work right next to a grain mill. All they do is store and load the grain into railcars. Very dusty and has a distinct smell. I have never smelled sulfur in the area though.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

No I have not reported it. I have a real high sense of smell and I asked my co-workers if they smelled anything and they were pretty much to busy to even realize if they smelled anything, ha.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Crystal Lake area. I even went out for lunch to grab some slices of pizza at Rosati's (YUM) and I could kind of smell it a few miles outside work.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Relative Five

If your talking the one on terri cotta. I know where your at. I wasn't in that area at all. Im sure your smelled something from the industrial park near there. And if I'm not mistaken they are working on the roads over there. And just to say, There is a quarry not far from there. There's so much big truck traffic where your talking.
I;m not trying to despute your information. I'm just trying to justify it, seeing I'm in the area too.
I think you were right when you said nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks Relative Five for your info. We all need to stay alert!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I agree. I'm in DuPage and I walked outside this afternoon and it smelled and I was like, Whoa! I was taken aback, surprised. Never smelled anything like this before. Got the windows open right now and the hint is still lingering.

The kids outside playing were calling somebody a "farter" and he in turn came back with the ole stand bye - "The one who smelt it dealt it." I'm sure by now they realized the kid isn't a farter after all. Now they're walking around trying to find the source of the smell. But soon someone will suggest a barbeque and they will move onto something else.

Little do they know that this is no Que. Hmm, wonder what it is.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This looks like a good thread to put my errant thoughts about these 'issues' - I have been reading with great interest about the WI "booms".

Anyway - I am on the near West Side of Chicago here - near Oak Park - there is something to do with a 'continental divide' here, regarding drainage basins - more info -

Oak Park Continental Divide

The only recent 'odd' thing 'here' - mounds of "suds" in the Des Plaines river, at the Hoffman Dam (Riverside, IL) which is near this area. This river originates in WI.
Mystery suds appear on Des Plaines river

This happened around the same time / days of this WI stuff.

As for my own observations - I have had a wicked sinus headache, I thought it was allergies. Which have started to the point where they have the pollen counts up on the news (WGN) and they keep exclaiming about how bad they are also.

But my ears keep popping also. Like pressure changes. I got meds too and have been taking them yet I still am having this ear / head issue.

I don't notice any 'out of the ordinary' smells here - and I just heard birds chirping, the animals seem fine.

The aforementioned spot that got the load of suds - that area - if you go to that dam - it STINKS! *all* the time of surfactants. There's plenty of dumping into it, all along the way. Much allowed too. But those big suds incidents - that's above and beyond - that's a 'big dump' of something.

Anyway, for what it's worth. Just a couple thoughts that came to me.

edit on 22-3-2012 by Zinky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I also live in McHenry County near the fox river. I'm sure you remember that small earthquake we had a year or two ago. They said on the new that there's a small fault underneath the fox river. Maybe it has something to do with that.

Just throwin it out there.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by faint1993
for t

There are many situation's in this area that you could smell weird things. If anyone is truely concerned they should cotact there local L.E. . They are the ones who will have any information you need to know. In our area they are very vigulant to check stuff out. And they are pretty cool if you ask correctly.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The gas companies put the "rotten eggs"-sulfer smell into the gas lines to detect gas line breaks.

Here in the Northeast, they usually say if you think you smell GAS...you dont. Because it smells like sulfer-rotten eggs. Thats the difference.

Just sayin'.....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I also live in McHenry County in Wonder Lake. I haven't smelled anything yet, I go to McHenry quite often, but don't forget the EQ we had on Chapel Hill Rd.
articles.chicagotribune.com...
The quake was just Jan. 30/31st 2012

to me , very random.
Most people don't realize there's a volcano in the same county as Montello ,WI it was razed by glaciers.
I can't find the link now , any help would be appreciated.
All the maps you get when doing a google search on dormant U.S. volcanoes show only the most dangerous ones , not all of them. My point with this is , there are things underground that we have no knowledge of and can be affected by all this minimal activity underground. When I look at the USGS ring of fire map I get a little wary , it appears, on the West coast to be filling in the blank spots as time goes by,thereby possibly creating a thankfully toned down domino effect. Probably just a little more active than most of the time but it's still a tad unsettling , Just my opinion though

edit on 22-3-2012 by ujustneverknow because: adding info

edit on 22-3-2012 by ujustneverknow because: adding info

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
A couple of weeks ago we had a really strange smell here in Western KY. My husband called me outside to see if I could smell gas. But it didn't really smell like gas. It was pretty strong. Our neighbor even called the gas company and they could find nothing wrong. I haven't noticed it lately, thank goodness. Can you imagine how devastating it would be to have another major quake on the New Madrid fault? That would probably affect the whole country in one way or another...communication, transportation, etc. Very scary thought.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
i just started smelling sulfur here in NE ohio around 5 minutes ago, 12:40 est. Very strong smell. jesus christ its gross
edit on 22-3-2012 by jvm222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

Is obama on the way to Chicago?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
We are all fine here at this time. Just everyone stay vigulent.

We all need to learn and be alert.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm in eastern PA and around 12:30am I was on my way back home when I caught a red light... I lit up a cigarette and when I cracked the window noticed a really pungent sulfur like smell in the air that wafted in almost as soon as I pressed the button to lower it...

The spot I was at just so happens to be about 500 feet from what was an open pit rock quarry that has since been flooded after it was abandoned about a decade ago...

There was also a weird fog tonight in the area that I'm assuming had something to do with the temperatures being around the dew point... but can't say for certain...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
hmmm, I'm in Kane Co.
I haven't experienced any strange smells yet, but I haven't been paying much attention.
great... now I'll just be paranoid and convince myself that I'm smelling them xD
it did rain today though, after a streak of "marvelous" weather. very sunny.
I'll keep my...... nose..... open.
edit on 23-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

EDIT: DANG. I had no idea that so man ATS'ers lived so close to me xD.
edit on 23-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Just maybe you live next to or in the neighborhood of a meth lab.
What does a meth lab smell like See if the smells discribed are familiar.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

I was thinking it (and very likely) was comming from some industrial process. I really hope so. Just not an every day smell at work.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Relative Five

Actually. because we have alot rail transport around here, we have a problem there too. The chances of us having a bad chemical spill around here is very real. And LE is very aware of that.
edit on 24-3-2012 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
my true concern is Fermi Lab.
No matter what they say.
They HAVE a nuclear missile silo. I'm convinced

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join