It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-American Journalist James Carroll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I had to post this because I just cannot believe that anyone in their right mind buys this garbage. In an OP/ED piece published in the Boston Globe by James Carroll yesterday the United States of America is painted as a terror organization. Some people may jump at the opportunity to say well it is just look at Iraq, yet this article claims that this countries actions for the last 60 years has been that of terrorism.

The punitive terror bombing that marked the end of World War II hardly registered with us

Punitive terror bombing?? Where in the world does this guy get off with this load of junk? Sure the loss of life in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was horrendous but that loss of life prevented the loss of countless other lives.

Then we passively accepted our government's mad embrace of thermonuclear weapons. While we demonized our Soviet enemy, we hardly noticed that almost every major escalation of the arms race was initiated by our side -- a race that would still be running if Mikhail Gorbachev had not dropped out of it.

OMG so Gorbachev is now a saint for voluntarily dropping out of the arms race? Last I checked he didn�t drop out voluntarily his hand was forced---He didn�t have any resources to continue.

We did not think it odd that America's immediate response to the nonviolent fall of the Berlin Wall was an invasion of Panama.

I want what this guy is smoking, I mean really I am going to let the following quote speak for itself as explanation of the invasion of Panama.

On December 15, 1989, Noriega sought and was given by the legislature the title of chief executive officer of the government. The Noriega-led assembly declared that a state of war with the United States existed. The next day Panamanian soldiers killed an unarmed U.S. Marine officer dressed in civilian clothes.

www.onwar.com...

I can continue to pick this load of junk apart but I will rest for now to allow everyone else the opportunity to read the article.

www.boston.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Picking apart people's words when they are not present to respond is fairly easy, and some make a pretty penny doing just that.

But two questions remain behind:

1) What is "Anti-American" about this guy?

and

2) Are the American people willing to take what their government does?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hmmm, speaking out against the USA, sounds patriotic to me. How is it Anti-American to do what the constitution says they can? He is using his rights as an American to speak out and have his voice heard. Sounds damn right American to me. Or are you one of the people that support PA2 where what Kerry is doing would be considered an act of treason.(Running against a republican)

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Look, more anti-American behavior!

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Gentlemen,

Speaking out is fine but Mr. Carroll is distorting the truth. Do any of you actually beleive Hiroshima and Nagasaki to be terror fire bombings? What about the invasion of Panama did we invade for no reason? Like I said speaking out is fine but speak the truth.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I do believe the bombings in Japan to be terrorist bombings. They were used in part to show the strength of the US, but also to instill fear, and to use that to bend the will of the Japanese.

This is not to say that it was not justified in our eyes, but never has nukes been used before or after that. We are in the list of those who has used WMDs many times.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Gentlemen,

Speaking out is fine but Mr. Carroll is distorting the truth.

That's why its called an opinion piece. Its his opinion on the facts, nothing more.

Originally posted by BlackJackalDo any of you actually beleive Hiroshima and Nagasaki to be terror fire bombings?

No, I don't. The allies did just as much damage to Dresden with conventional bombings. I feel it was the same thing with a different weapon.

Originally posted by BlackJackalWhat about the invasion of Panama did we invade for no reason? Like I said speaking out is fine but speak the truth.

Since we were employing Noriega as a CIA operative of sorts before he turned I would say its a grey area. We didn't mind his corruption while he was our bee-atch but used that same corruption to justify the invasion after he went against us. The Army at the time loved parading the journalists through his house to show off all of his ill gotten loot. When we meddle in other countries affairs we have to accept blame where blame is due.

We didn't mind Saddam's cruelty in the 80's when he was gassing the Kurds (with weapons we sold him to use against Iran) and treating his people like crap. But the minute he invaded an oil ally of ours it became a different story. Hipocrisy of the highest order regardless of his ruthlesness.

[edit on 103030p://555 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller
We didn't mind Saddam's cruelty in the 80's when he was gassing the Kurds (with weapons we sold him to use against Iran) and treating his people like crap. But the minute he invaded an oil ally of ours it became a different story. Hipocrisy of the highest order regardless of his ruthlesness.

Actually our relations with Iraq had soured well before the Kuwaiti invasion.

And the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not targeted to intimidate the people of Japan, it was meant to highlight to the emperor and more importantly the war ministry that their capability to resist was fruitless��.as for the moronic statement that it was terrorism�.it took two.

top topics

join