It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Domino has caused another Collapsed State...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Soldiers loot Mali presidency after ousting leader

news.yahoo.com...

BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — Soldiers looted the presidential palace Thursday of one of the few established democracies in this corner of Africa, hours after ousting Mali's leader about one month before he was due to leave office anyway.
Gunfire could be heard ringing throughout the capital and soldiers were seen carting televisions and other goods out of the palace following a coup announcement on state television.
There were conflicting reports on President Amadou Toumani Toure's whereabouts. One senior official said that he was safely esconced at a military camp, protected by his red beret-wearing guards. Another denied the report, saying he was not at that base.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The only thing clear right now is that the President is missing and the Malian Army is burglarizing the Presidential Palace.

The leaders claim this is necessary to fight Taureg Rebellion in north of country.

Taureg are a newly disgruntled ethic group spread across many north African nations...that benefited from from Gaddafi's regime.

I don't know how these states are related but could this a sign that a wave of collapsed governments is to be expected in Africa?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I am not too sure whats developing,but i understand these Taureg guys have been indiscriminately killing civilians....

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think the Tuareg are an indigenous group that isn't confined within the borders of the States.

During the time Gaddafi was trying to avoid death, i saw written of these people a story which seem to suggest that the stability of the States in the region consider their support critical...

Whatever they are doing, I'm not sure, but it will probably affect a larger and larger area as time goes on, possibly leading to a wave of collapsed governments and/or military coups.

edit on 22-3-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

i want to correct my statement that the military wants to fight the Taureg and say the military wants to resolve the issue...something it feels the current leadership was incapable of doing.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well if you mean other places there are rumors it's happening in China already

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 22-3-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Interesting development in such a volatile area.

Mali is a leading regional partner in U.S. efforts against terrorism. Mali is also host to a world-class National Institutes of Health laboratory and research facility whose aim is to develop anti-malaria vaccines and medicines. USAID, Peace Corps, and other U.S. Government programs play a significant role in fostering sustainable economic and social development. USAID programs also strengthen efforts to consolidate the peace process in northern Mali and the region's socioeconomic and political integration. Defense Department security assistance programs and training support build Mali’s capacity to meet its various security challenges.

In 2010, the Department of State and USAID gave $117.87 million in bilateral foreign assistance to Mali. Mali is a focus country for a number of presidential initiatives, including Feed the Future, Global Health Initiative, President’s Malaria Initiative, and Global Climate Change. Mali benefits from a $461 million Millennium Challenge Corporation compact, implemented in 2007, to develop 5,200 hectares of irrigable agricultural land and improve the international airport. Mali participates in the Trans-Sahara Counter Terrorism Partnership (TSCTP), which brings together U.S. Government resources and expertise for collaborative security initiatives. Since 1971, Peace Corps volunteers have contributed to projects in the areas of education, clean water, food security, environmental conservation, microenterprise, and preventive health care. Mali is currently host to approximately 150 volunteers, making this one of the largest programs in sub-Saharan Africa.

www.state.gov...

Whenever I see large deployments of USAID I always scratch my head. USAID has a long history of being a cover agency for CIA.

Perhaps the president made some enemies.

On July 20, Malian President Amadou Toumani Toure confirmed to the Malian press that Libya, Algeria, and Mali planned to coordinate military and intelligence efforts to fight security threats linked to al-Qa'ida in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in the Sahel-Saharan region.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Mali is more complicated than I thought. I never thought twice about it until now. Thanks for posting.

Good read
almanac.afpc.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

yeah...i've seen those links. with the exception of Thailand, Asian nations keep a tight lid on internal political clashes and it seems to me a coup could be ongoing in China and the world won't know about it for years.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Mali was mentioned as a possible destination for Gaddafi, his Sons and members of his government...

Maybe the Taureg are upset that the President of Mali did a poor job protecting an ally.

Mali is having elections next month and the current President cannot run again, so it's strange they couldn't wait one month after him being in power for the last 21 years.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
Mali was mentioned as a possible destination for Gaddafi, his Sons and members of his government...

Maybe the Taureg are upset that the President of Mali did a poor job protecting an ally.

Mali is having elections next month and the current President cannot run again, so it's strange they couldn't wait one month after him being in power for the last 21 years.

They wanted to suspend the constitution, something that would be hard to do with a new legally elected leader.

This was the only good time to do it, if there is such a thing.

The next announcement will be the suspension of the upcoming elections.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

are you describing yet another African leader who would rather plunge his country into chaos than actually leave office when his term is up?

they got that bad over there.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

that's doesn't seem to be the case in this most recent article:

news.yahoo.com...

apparently government soldiers are outgunned and being sent to slaughter...

...but why would Tauregs and Malians being fighting at all...they were both Gaddafi friends?

gaddafi dies and now they are enemies? why would soldiers sack their own Palace and carry off loot?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Mali Television off Air fearing Countercoup...

...it will be an interesting weekend.

who will still be here next week?

news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

join