It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iram of the Pillars - The REAL Atlantis

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin

I really do wonder if you even know how to have fun

I read your postings, which are remarkably funny

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

I really do wonder if you even know how to have fun

I read your postings, which are remarkably funny

Meow! You may not know how to have fun, but you're seemingly adept at being a bitch. Haha. Careful there, I may actually start to like you

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
well... we are in the same stadium (as it were)
because we are speaking of a large area & 10000 yrs before Plato or perhaps several 1000's before Salon passed on the info.

It doesn't actually have to have been that long ago actually, the beginning of the salinisation was probably after the Younger Dryas and it would have been a slow process. The inflow, of salt water, via the Bosphorus is very low, due to the relative temperatures of the waters, and initially, due to the amount of fresh water that flows via rivers into the Black sea, it would have had a limited impact close to those outlet areas, with much of the salt water settling in the basin and maintaining fresh water sanctuaries around those outlets, such as Odessa. Those dependent upon the fresh water fishing would have gradually become concentrated around the river mouths, and then probably moved inland as those areas too became salt logged. The Black sea is essentially dying, even as we speak, so it has been a long process since the inlet was opened.

Originally posted by St Udio
see:Lost Civilizations: Atlantis: Timaeus and Critias

www.activemind.com/Mysterious/.../atlantis/timaeus_and_critias.html
Timaeus and Critias, two of Plato's dialogues, are the only existing written records ... of Plato's day,

the story of Atlantis was conveyed to Solon by Egyptian priests. ...
This elder Critias told the story of Atlantis to his grandson, Critias,...

Just Whom were these 'Egyptian Priests' ?

Outside of my remit I am afraid.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This seems like nothing more then muslim thievery. They do it all the time when they discover Christian ruins or after they conquered a Christian nation(See Byzantine and the Hagia Sofia[which will eventually be liberated]).

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

A bit ignorant, judging a whole religion.

The story of Iram of the Pillars predates Atlantis. Iram was well known throughout the Middle East to Jews and Muslims alike, before the Quran was written.
edit on 28-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by daaskapital

This seems like nothing more then muslim thievery. They do it all the time when they discover Christian ruins or after they conquered a Christian nation(See Byzantine and the Hagia Sofia[which will eventually be liberated]).

The Christians did the same to pagan sites and more recently made it a practice to build churches on top of religious buildings of the Americas.

However I would agree that 'crossaphobia' is, unfortunately, a factor in Islamic life and have seen myself deliberate destruction of prior Christian archaeological sites in Arabia.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
However I would agree that 'crossaphobia' is, unfortunately, a factor in Islamic life and have seen myself deliberate destruction of prior Christian archaeological sites in Arabia.

As I understood it, don't some elements within Islam believe that all historical sites are iconic and therefore should be destroyed?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

They particularly dislike grave sites - and the Prophet's grave in Medinah annoys the hell out of them. The religious sites of the people of the book are sometimes not destroyed but they did hate Zoros and Hindus in particular.

Not sure if you can place that only any one cult, perhaps a person with more knowledge of the various Shia and Sunni sects could comment?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The city of Troy was supposed to be a legend just like Atlantis until Heinrich Schliemann discovered it in 1868. So who's to say that Atlantis is only a legend?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Picollo30

Actually Calvert discovered it and the guy you mentioned just bank rolled and PR'ed, however.....

Troy was never lost- the Romans thought they knew where it was and conducted tourism there (the Roman's considered their ancestors came from there). What we think of Troy probably is Troy but we don't know for certain

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by Biliverdin

Thanks for the extra bit of knowledge

What is your opinion regarding Plato and Atlantis? Do you think he was influenced by the story of Iram, and it's demise?

I don't really have an opinion, and Plato's references are rather thin and vague, but I honestly feel that there are any number of possibilities of such 'disappearances' that he could have been referring to, and that it must have been quite common for settlements to seemingly disappear for one reason or another. I have always personally favoured a relationship with the tectonic activities in this region...

en.wikipedia.org...

I was reading this article...

www.bbc.co.uk...

...about Timbuktu on the BBC website and it reminded me of this thread, and the point I make above...

Trillo explains the endurance of the myth by the fact the city disappeared off the map when it fell into decline in the 17th and 18th Centuries, after the Moors deserted it and trade went elsewhere.

"For 200 years it was a city living on the sand but completely disconnected from the rest of the world and that was why it has such a mythology.

"Imagine New York suddenly under water for 200 years, and people still talking about it.

"That's when this explorer race started and everyone wanted to be the first to get to Timbuktu."

If even as recently as a few hundred years ago a city, as once famous and well documented as Timbuktu, can just disappear from the reality of most, and be reduced to the mythical realm, it seems highly plausible that the same could have happened to Atlantis a few thousand years ago.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join