It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For UK members. If you own a TV you must have a licence. WRONG!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
ha ha you need licenses to watch TV

America won

I don't have TV.

Thus I win.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

u have to pay the government to watch tv?

thats a joke... they will get u anyway they can lol

and it makes no difference where u live. what a joke

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

America won

America has you as a citizen, therefore it loses.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

America won

We went over this in my journalism 100 class.
Broadcasters in America considered using pay radios where you would have to drop coins in to turn them on.
They quickly realized that wouldn't work and went to commercials.

What's hilarious is the teacher said no one has ever had to pay a license fee just to receive a wireless broadcast(non cable tv).
I guess she doesn't know what she is talking about.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I live my life based on common law and not statutes that I have not entered into contract with. Yes it can lead to difficulties at times, but over the years it gets easier as you grow stronger by seeing first hand the power you realy have as a person.

Namaste said it as it is, the TV licence is not even the smallest consideration or part of my life. I harm no one nor do I damage or take their property and that is all I need in my life. The UK police "Man" has now become a police "officer" to enforce statutes that all invariably do one thing, cost you money. Some advice, lose the Mr or Mrs before your name and dont accept letters addressed to them. Refuse to give any retailer your personal information or demand and see that the Mr or Mrs is not included. Never ever give anyone your address unless its to have something delivered and please learn to use the most important word in the English language, the word " No", without any justification for using it to those who ask you the question.

Life is as simple as you choose to make it. You should try it sometime...

Respects to you all.
edit on 23-3-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lol I would love one of these common law types to actualy post the results in there day of court representing themselves against the procurator fiscal.

But but but common law......black dictionary!!!

Lol law degree and 20 years prosecution experiance, pwnd. Do not pass go.

On a side not however, I do not have a TV license, never paid for one, and no inspector has every visited my property.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

I have been invited to court but chose not to go, I am still here untill they contract with me that any discussion will be heard under the banner of accepting my right to be heard under a court of common law then I will never be there..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

How does that work?

Surely a warrant is issued for your arrest for not attending a court date thats set.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000
reply to post by wigit

So the concept of 'free speech' on here is you're not allowed, kinda makes a mockery of deny ignorance.

Nonsense. The reason for the rule is obvious or should be. Denying Ignorance has not a thing to do with being a criminal. In fact being a criminal is ignorant.

Planning or promoting criminal acts is a crime and if you want ATS to remain available, you should fully agree with the rule. Of course there are people who don't give a damn and just want what they want and to hell with whoever they hurt as long as they do as they please.

Truth is your argument against not allowing criminal activity here is childish and fully embraces ignorance.

On topic -

I had no idea that was the case in the UK. Unless your government is totally detached and dictatorial, surely you have legal recourse to fight to change the law? If you do not, you live in what amounts to a dictatorship with only the appearance of being a democratic country.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
Having been "LLF" (Legally License Free) for several months now I live by the mantra "NO, NO, NO":

NO Response. NEVER respond to a TVL letter, straight to the shredder!

NO Talking. NEVER talk or verbally communicate in any way with a TVL "inspector." Answer their question with a question, maintain the upper hand. Once they have identified themselves the conversation is OVER, shut your door.

NO Admission. NEVER let them into your house under any circumstance.

I am however, not condoning illegal behaviour, if you require a license then get one!

instead of shredding them , simply mark return to sender , this then costs the sender over a pound , and the letters mysteriously stop...

spread the word

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
UKTV was sold off under the name of Flextech in 2005 to a private owner, they were previously a joint venture by NTL and Telewest and to my knowledge have never been a BBC offshoot. The BBC are not allowed comercial ventures in the UK, they can only profit off content owned by BBC World Service

Nope, I believe you're getting confused...Flextech had a stake in UKTV but that wasn't the same package of channels that Sky bought last year. Flextech sold their part of the business before they sold the other channels which Sky acquired. UKTV is a joint venture between the BBC and, currently, a company called Scripps Network Interactive, although originally Flextech. The BBC can have commercial ventures, they just do it under BBC Worldwide.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A license to watch TV??? Are you kidding me??

I live in the US and this had me laughing upon first reading the title of the thread thinking it was a joke of some sort. But after seeing so many responses from people and their opinions on it I take it this is actually serious.

What a joke nonetheless! A license?

I read the license gives you access to certain channels without advertisements? Is that what it is about? If not what is the license for?

I don't get it...how did this come to be a law over there that you msut pay for this license to use your teevision? Under what conditions is it required?

I am very curious as this sounds BEYOND ridiculous. The lawmakers would be laughed out of business trying to pass this here in the states, I would hope anyway.

A license to drive, a license to hunt, a license to sell goods like beer and liquor, these all apply in my country. But a license to rot your brains with TV? Next you will tell me that you need a license to consume poisonous soda or something else beyond my ability of comprehension.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Perhaps that person loads their DVD's onto a hard drive so as not to wear out the DVD itself. There are legitimate reasons to put your media library into a digital format rather than using the hard copy every time because wear and tear will take its toll after a while rendering the disc or w/e useless eventually. You can call them out on that one, but you may be totally wrong in your assumption.

Don't get me wrong, I am a freeloader and proud of it, but there are legitmate reasons like said above to convert to digital hard drives, which is the argument that allows pirates like me to get away with what we do

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Dave is supposedly named after Dave Lister of Red Dwarf fame...

Interesting but slightly off topic piece of info there...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

No, I am calling you pretentious because you are. See the statements you have made and tell me you don't think they are being pretentious? You think that South park is junk, fine, that's your opinion but you then place the stuff you like above it, meaning you believe yourself to be superior because you like Orson Wells or Shakespear, whereas I like the light hearted comedy of South Park.

For the record, I have read Shakespear and did well in my studies, but it's not something I want to come home to after a hard day at work. I would rather have a chuckle at Cartman and friends than worry about Mercutio or Hamlet..

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity

Originally posted by PW229
I have paid. I do not download content from "dodgy sites." I purchase the DVD's then rip them to a hard drive. I can produce the original DVD for every single TV show, film on the drive. So my point stands, I would be "paying again" if I purchased a TV license purely because I own a television.

You should change your username to Pinocchio, I think.

If you've got the original material on dvd, as you claim, what's the virtue in putting on a hard drive ? To me, the advantage of doing that is simply not apparent.

So, if you don't mind, I'll call you out on that one. You're just freeloading. There's no shame in admitting it, that's what so many people do. But just man up, grow a pair and admit it, huh ?

First I find your post deeply offensive and ask that you withdraw your baseless accusations. Who exactly gave YOU the right to question my integrity?

The advantage is quite obvious but equally obvious is your odious attitude. How many DVD's can you shove into a DVD player? Now, how many can you put on a 1TB hard drive?

I'm afraid you're not "calling me out" at all, merely applying your own moral standard on others.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

No a summons is sent...legally a summons is asking you if your would "like" to attend to discuss the issue. If you turn up because of the summons you have entered into a contract with those who want to discuss the issue. As I havnt contracted or agreed to any of the stautes I just dont go. A warrant is issued to anyone who has broken or committed a criminal crime.. Its not criminal to ignore their statutes because they are not law. As I said, keep it simple.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Ah, another "Freeman" proponent...

Tell me, why is a statute not Law? If a statute isn't Law, what is?

There, that should be enough rope...

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Why don't you lighten up? You've said some very nasty things. Unbelievably nasty and unpleasant you are. So what if my thread's "gash". All my threads are gash. I don't pretend to be anything better than anyone else. And what I find interesting you might not, so you don't need to come in spitting and hissing.

I'm not shedding light on this subject to bring my news to the stupid masses, like you think. My thread is so you all can shed some light for me. This is all new to me, I don't read the small print. Where I come from most don't.

I can go out into the street where I live with a clipboard and ask 100 people "why do we need a TV licence?" and they'll mostly reply "because I own a TV." We've taken that as fact because we've grown up with it. All the fine details vanished years ago and we take that as the rule and nothing else. Just like the policewoman in that video.

I watch stuff on the PC, or I watch DVDs. His Nibs works too long hours to watch any telly. I suggested to him we can save a bit by not renewing our licence. He's worried because WE OWN A TV SO WE MUST HAVE A LICENCE. I'm finding out that's not true and so I ask for advice on here.

All is going fine. Then you arrive. That's what "gash" is.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

My Ideology came from my Grandfather long, long before the term "Freeman" became fashionable. Unlike people who spend their time trying to decypher and learn the hidden language within "legalese" I dont feel the need.

Over years of making my own choices I know what are money making or freedom killing stututes and what is common law based on my own experiences. My tools of confrontation are simple but take a while to learn to use due to the mindset thats been created in us by " Our Shepherds". My shield is the word "No". My sword is my ability to "Say nothing" that is construed as my agreement to a verbal contract. My armour, " Dedicated removal" of the labels and paint daubs the shepherds think all sheep should have.

There is only one thing you will learn from doing what you are told....the ability to do what you are told. I feel no great desire to pick up your rope to debate statute and law because I couldent tell you the difference other than law is all based on common Law, what is right and wrong and every statute is based on making money from those who choose to agree to it then dont. Instead I will leave you with a couple of proven by me facts ...

The TV LIcence Statute : Unenforceable because it is not a law... The Census : Unenforceable because it depends on your agreement and the Law states we are entitled to privacy. The list is endless........

Respects to you.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join