It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unbreakable Bond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
“It’s a beautiful morning, isn’t it Buddy?” Jim took a sip of his morning coffee.

Max looked down from his perch where he had climbed onto a fallen tree and smiled. “It sure is”, he thought.

He returned his attention back to the valley below looking for movement. He knew there was an abundance of squirrels and other small game, but he was looking for deer. It had been quite some time since he and Jim had venison, his favorite meal.

He looked at Jim and was momentarily saddened. Since Jim and Sarah had parted ways, a time that Max thought of as “The Troubles.”, Jim had been distracted. But Jim seemed to be returning to normal finally. Max missed Sarah, but recognized that she was no longer part of the family.

That was the past and Max had more pressing concerns, like taking care of Jim. Jim needed his support.

Jim took another sip of his coffee and grimaced. “Freeze dried crap,” he thought, “But it is a reminder of better days nonetheless.” He stood. “Well, Max…it’s time to bring home the grub.” He kicked dirt over the small campfire and retrieved his bow.

Max understood this was a job that required teamwork and silently walked ahead of Jim. The way he saw it was Jim’s survival was his as well…and besides, he loved Jim like a brother…maybe even more. He considered him his Father.

As they progressed though the forest, both of their senses were on high alert, looking for game. Eventually, they came upon a small river that had provided before. Jim considered it his “Good luck spot”, but was leery as having used it quite a few times in the past.

He didn’t want to scare away game with too much death in one area.

Max silently approached Jim and nudged him, looking to his left.

“What is it Max?” Jim whispered and looked at his friend and saw that he was watching something that he had not seen.

A doe and her fawn had stopped by for a drink. Jim breathed deeply through his nose, calming himself, while Max stood motionless nearby. Jim had blown shots before due to “Buck Fever” but he needed to make this one count. Maybe even two.

Jim slowly pulled back the string, sighted center mass and released, the Doe dropped like a rock. Jim was flabbergasted, he never seen that before. The fawn did not seem to know what to do and nuzzled its mother. “Crap, Jim thought, “I have to kill the fawn too.” But his rational mind told him that the fawn would be better eating.

He strung another arrow and released it. The fawn let out a bleat and took off into the woods. Jim knew he had hit his mark and now had to track it.

“Max Buddy! We’ll be eating well tonight! Go find that deer.”

Max just grinned at his best friend, eagerly anticipating the nights meal and took off after the fawn.

“Now Max, I need you to watch over the fawn, and no checking it out. I’ll be there shortly. By Gawd, we’ll have protein for a month after I smoke it.”

Max sat down, tail thumping the forest floor.

“No problem buddy”, he thought. You and Me…You and Me.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's good writing. Not too little and not too flowery. Like little bear's porridge. Just right.

Lovely twist at the end, took me by surprise, but what a shame for the wee deer. Aww... Brutes!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thank you. This short story was particularly hard to write. Jack London did a great job writing a Dogs thought process I think and I was trying to channel that.

My last Dawg was extremely smart, I’m not sure if he trained me or I trained him, but the time we had together was great fun. When I was at home, we were inseperable.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Good Story TDawg!! Love The ending too. Like Wigit said, It took me by surprise as well!!! Syx.

new topics

top topics

join