It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria shells Lebanon village, U.N. unites on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

AMMAN (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council, including Russia and China, threw its weight on Wednesday behind efforts by Kofi Annan to end the bloody conflict in Syria, providing a rare moment of global unity in the face of the year-long crisis.

In a statement approved by all its 15 members, the council threatened Syria with unspecified "further steps" if it failed to comply with Annan's peace plan, which calls for a ceasefire and demands swift access for aid agencies.

Well then, it's hard for me to believe that Russia and China decided to go ahead with these new "steps". Will Syria allow a ceasefire and allow aid agenices in? I highly doubt it, but Im not completely ruling it out either.

Also today, the Syrian army shelled a Lebanese border village.

The conflict spilled over Syria's borders late on Wednesday when several shells hit the Lebanese border village of al-Qaa and nearby fields, injuring one person, residents said.

Al-Qaa, 10 km (six miles) from the Syrian border, has been the first stop for many of the 7,000 Syrian refugees who have fled fighting into Lebanon.

Refugees complain that they are pursued by Syrian forces, who have often fired across the border, but al-Qaa residents said this was the first time artillery has been used.

This is the first time I believe artillery has been fired across the border by Syrian forces. I wonder how Lebanon will respond to this shelling.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I believe this is a very bland response by the UN. Which leads me to believe there is a lot more going on then what we are hearing about. I honestly think that al Qaeda is helping the "free Syrian army". Therefore, the US and UN really doesn't want anything to do with it. Could you imagine the headline for that!

US and UN helping al Qaeda remove Syrian leader from power? LOL

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
They were probably shelling Israeli units in the area.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

Al-Qaeda also supported the Libyan rebels.

Libyan rebel commander admits his fighters have al-Qaeda links

Abdel-Hakim al-Hasidi, the Libyan rebel leader, has said jihadists who fought against allied troops in Iraq are on the front lines of the battle against Muammar Gaddafi's regime.

Libya: Al Qaeda flag flown above Benghazi courthouse

The black flag of Al Qaeda has been spotted flying over a public building in Libya, raising concerns that the country could lurch towards Muslim extremism.

I think there are a few articles out there that say Al-Qaeda is already supporting the rebels in Syria. Im not 100% sure why the UN and NATO are not doing as much to Syria as they did to Libya, but im guessing it is because Syria has a stronger military than Libya, and may have more allies (Iran and Russia. Russia apparently has sent in anti-terror squads to help the Syria governemnt the other day)....or maybe its because there's not much oil in Syria.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I think there are a few articles out there that say Al-Qaeda is already supporting the rebels in Syria. Im not 100% sure why the UN and NATO are not doing as much to Syria as they did to Libya, but im guessing it is because Syria has a stronger military than Libya, and may have more allies (Iran and Russia. Russia apparently has sent in anti-terror squads to help the Syria governemnt the other day)....or maybe its because there's not much oil in Syria.

Mostly because the CIA (read Al-Qaeda) and other known proxy groups created by them, are the ones fighting the military. There is no campaign to kill civilians in Syria, this is a misnomer and a very gross misrepresentation of the facts.

NATO have had troops on the ground in Syria for a while now. They probably ended up striking a deal with Russian & China over some oil prices, which is why they've now agreed to play ball with the security council.

This is all a ploy, the US wants to intervene with the military, as it creates another foot hold near Iran.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I wouldn't believe Russia or China will go along with this so much as one centimeter beyond where they believe their own interests lay. I mean heck, China is deep in bed with Iran and Russia is deep in bed with both Syria and Iran together.

I think this is just more of the game they're all playing. If Russia and China play along a little, it keeps them on the inside and moving with some influence on events.

They'll break clear outside and move entirely outside the U.N. or the West IF they feel it's in their best interests. I hope no one on our side in this ever doubts that. We're doomed the moment either of those powers are underestimated and decades of U.S. Presidents took their lumps learning that.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I remember Assad saying "foreign terrorists" are the ones his government is targeting. I did a quick search and found this article.

www.usnews.com...

Despite Syria receiving military assistance from Iran, the White House says it will not get involved in a military mission due to al Qaeda involvement in the country's civil war.

I believe there was a small story not too long ago about how some Western and Israeli agents were spotted helping the Syria rebels. Im getting the feeling that we wont know all the details about this until 40 or more years from now......One of those undercover, covert operations that the governement keeps hidden for decades.

On striking a deal with Russia and China over oil...I wouldnt be suprised if that is what really is happening.

ETA - About those agents, I found these 2 articles.

Turkish Secret Agents Trained by the Mossad Captured in Syria

According to the Israeli daily Haaretz, "40 Turkish intelligence officers were captured by the Syrian army. "

19th French agent arrested in Syria

Voltaire Network has learned from reliable source that a French officer was taken prisoner by the Syrian National Army on Monday, 27 February 2012, at Azouz (Idlib district, near the Turkish border).

The arrest brings to 19 (nineteen) the number of French prisoners held by Damascus.

edit on 21-3-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Wasn't it merely days ago that Russia sent in Special Forces?,

and now they are agreeing with the UN, no one finds that a bit peculiar?

Indeed, Indeed

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Wasn't it merely days ago that Russia sent in Special Forces?,

and now they are agreeing with the UN, no one finds that a bit peculiar?

Indeed, Indeed

Yes indeed..and not too long before that where they sent their Aircraft Carrier into Syrian Waters to symbolically plant their flag and deliver super-sonic anti-ship missiles. The Russian Bear is moving in the shadows and occasionally grumbling at the moment, It will be interesting if that becomes a full roar.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Remember way back last year when Assad swore he'd burn the entire middle east starting with Israel if anyone trie dto oust him?

Bout to happen. When it happens Damascus will be ultimately destroyed.

top topics

join