It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God a bigot in your eyes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
When God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, did he do it out of bigotry? When he brought forth the flood, did he do it out of bigotry? When He sends His Son back to Earth to cleanse it from all those who have rejected His Word and lived their lives against what He has commanded, will He be the bigot? Just wondering how you feel? You know that Christ will come back as "a thief in the night." He went as "the Lamb", but shall return as "the Lion." What does this tell you? I can say this, although he'll be the Savior the Holy Bible teaches us about, His mission won't be the same. Think about it.

[edit on 22/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
When God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, did he do it out of bigotry? When he brought forth the flood, did he do it out of bigotry? When He sends His Son back to Earth to cleanse it from all those who have rejected His Word and lived their lives against what He has commanded, will He be the bigot? Just wondering how you feel? You know that Christ will come back as "a thief in the night." He went as "the Lamb", but shall return as "the Lion." What does this tell you? I can say this, although he'll be the Savior the Holy Bible teaches us about, His mission won't be the same. Think about it.

The false logic of your arguement is that I actually believe the words in your book, which I don't. They're a collection of spoken stories, transcribed and then translated nearly a dozen times by an elite, ruling class of monks. Monks who used it to control the unwilling masses through spook stories and threats of eternal damnation.

Booga booga.

I don't believe God's a bigot. I believe his followers are. I believe they've twisted his message to suit their own selfish ends. So, you can hope and pray every day that Jesus is coming back to punihs the sinners and save his sychophants, but it's not happening. However, people will continue to act like cavemen, foregoing reason and logic for hocus pocus tales like "The world was created in seven days" and "jonah lived in a whale".

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I don't believe God's a bigot. I believe his followers are. I believe they've twisted his message to suit their own selfish ends.

Right-o. The bible is not litteral fact, it is a colelction of legends and stories meant to teach lessons about living in a society or community and how to get along and not murder each other. Too bad some of those that follow the bible have missed the true meaning and haven't learned the lessons contained within (I'm assuming we're talking only Christianity here as the original post referenced Christian legends and text).

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You know what kind of answers you will get from the many atheists, agnostics, and pagans that participate (and I respect all of those opinions, by the way, the point of a forum is open discussion, after all)

Let's assume a few things for the sake of argument:

1) The Bible is factual and accurate
2) There is a God, and He exists as the God of Judaism/Christianity
3) Certain behaviors in the Bible are, in fact, sinful. (We all know of which I
speak.)

First of all, the flood happened as a result of the creation (humanity) that God had created became exceedingly corrupt and without any desire to find or know their God. In his frustration over the fall of his creation (which was a direct result of a creature with free will freely choosing to disobey), He decided it would be better to destroy the world and start anew. However, 'Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord' (Gen. 6:8) God chose to save Noah by performing a miracle: He taught Noah to construct a massive wooden vessel that should have collapsed under its own weight. He was not being bigoted, for bigotry denotes favor or disfavor toward one group or another. he was uniformly destroying everything and everyone (remember, the earth was not that populated, according to accepted Biblical tradition and therefore had not yet developed the various ethnicities, so no real bigotry toward one race or another could have ensued.) Also, the Abrahamic covenant had not been instituted yet, so no unfair favor toward any one nation existed.

On the issue of Sodom and Gomorrah, the cities were destroyed for being 100% sinful (not one good person in the city). In fact, if the account is read in context, it is discovered that only a single man and his family were found within the city that were not practicing an 'abomination in the eyes of the Lord' (reference Gen. 18: 16-33, Gen. 19:1-29). The specific sin was found being commited by every person in the two cities. Lot was only rescued, even though he was not committing these sins, becaus ethe Abrahamic covenant had been instituted and Abraham pleaded with God to save the city. Then God finally agreed to allow Lot to escape. Is this bigotry?

Bigotry: The state of mind of a bigot; obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them.

It is immaterial to attach a human flaw to God. God, by his nature, is pure good and righteousness. Therefore if he states a certain behavior is wrong, and then a person or group commits the act in obstinance of the affirmation of sin, then a punishment is not a bigoted event, but simply a corrective action, such as punishment of a misbehaving child. In this case, the punishment is extreme and complete. It served as an example of the time of the ultimate consequences of disobedience. I believe had any group agreed to sin so completely and knowingly defy a law of God, that He would/will punish accordingly.

Is God imposing His law only? His rules and His way of Salvation only? Yes. Is this bigoted? No. Why? because the rule is universally acceptable by all. No one group is excluded from the possibility of salvation. In other words, salvation through God's plan is not excluded from the , for instance, Tibetan residents, or the Greeks, or the Hindu. Anyone who believes on God and accept His message can be saved. Noone is excluded from this, therefore no bigotry exists.

Side note: If we are assuming all of the above statements to be true, we must also assume that bigotry,a nd the belief of 'many paths to God' (such as the various sects of religion i.e. Budhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, etc) are attempts by man, or more appropriately, Satan, to introduce systems that closely imitate God's plan, but contain enough variations to be percieved by a flawed creation as 'bigoted'.

Christianity gives a simple, easily accepted path to God. One has only to believe.

If we assume the above is correct, of course

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Yeah, whatever.

Anyways, I nor anyone has any idea what god is or whether it even exists.

Do I think the people who wrote the religious texts of the world were bigoted? Not really, they were following accepted customs of their times for the most part and societies by then had become decidedly patriarichal so its hard to come down on them too hard.

However, people who use those same outdated texts to treat others whether they be of a different race or sex are bigoted to me. Just because they refuse to evolve mentally from teachings of a much less educated and culturally exposed society doesn't give them any excuse to discriminate.

Modern day people who claim to follow the teachings of the Bible to a tee seem to pick and choose which areas they choose to uphold. If they see something they don't like in society they will gladly rely on it to discrimimate or justify such discriminations, but when it comes to other areas they conveniently ignore it.

Jimmy Swaggart was called out recently for saying he would kill any Gay man who made a pass at him because he found it to be an abomination of God. However, he doesn't seem to think being caught with hookers twice in 5 years as anything that a god would get upset with.

Religion is a man made tool with no proof of validity beyond day to day facts on certain subjects...faith is a personal thing that should be free of such man made atrocities of the mind.

[edit on 103030p://333 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
I don't believe God's a bigot. I believe his followers are.

Answer me this. Why would God save his followers if they're bigots? His followers try to live up to the standards set forth by him. Since his followers aren't readily yeilding to the temptations of the world, you are ready to call them bigots? * Rolling eyes and shaking head* Well, you can tell it to him when the time comes. And it will come, just as surely you were born.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The false logic of your arguement is that I actually believe the words in your book, which I don't. They're a collection of spoken stories, transcribed and then translated nearly a dozen times by an elite, ruling class of monks. Monks who used it to control the unwilling masses through spook stories and threats of eternal damnation.

Booga booga.

I don't believe God's a bigot. I believe his followers are. I believe they've twisted his message to suit their own selfish ends. So, you can hope and pray every day that Jesus is coming back to punihs the sinners and save his sychophants, but it's not happening. However, people will continue to act like cavemen, foregoing reason and logic for hocus pocus tales like "The world was created in seven days" and "jonah lived in a whale".

I like your response and your name is ironic. Do you bellieve that there is fire and brimstone?

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I don't believe God's a bigot. I believe his followers are.

Answer me this. Why would God save his followers if they're bigots? His followers try to live up to the standards set forth by him. Since his followers aren't readily yeilding to the temptations of the world, you are ready to call them bigots? * Rolling eyes and shaking head* Well, you can tell it to him when the time comes. And it will come, just as surely you were born.

You can call your self what ever you want and believe whatever you want to beleive it is your actions that will ultimatly decide. I think that is what he was trying to say.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
IS GOD A "BIGOT" IN YOUR EYES?

If by "GOD" you mean the vicious clan god of post-Exilic Israel (YHWH) as he is portrayed in the Hebrew Tanakh, well, then... YES.

Actually a more accurate description was given by Lily Tomlin and Ms Jane ("Gotta Go to Hanoi") Fonda in the film "9 to 5" :

"He's a sexist-egotistical-lying-hypocritcal-bigot !"

Sums it right up. 'Course it helps if you can read paleo-Hebrew without vowels and catch all those hitpaels. Then YHWH's sounds like a REAL BIGOT !!

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeus
If by "GOD" you mean the vicious clan god of post-Exilic Israel (YHWH) as he is portrayed in the Hebrew Tanakh, well, then... YES.

Sums it right up. 'Course it helps if you can read paleo-Hebrew without vowels and catch all those hitpaels. Then YHWH's sounds like a REAL BIGOT !!

With all this taken into consideration, then it's not a bad thing to be a bigot. If you're not a bigot, then you're for Satan.

LONG LIVE BIGOTS!

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hi Intelearthling:

Hitler was just as wicked a bigot as the Torah makes the clan god of Israel; so if you support the vomit placed into YHWH's mouth in the Torah, then you must support all the racist vomit placed into the mouth of Adolf Hitler in MEIN KAMPF.

Of Course, it would help if you can read German...but its vicious even in translation.

A good exercise would be to line up the Torah with Hilter's Book----then you would see that they say the same kinds of racist things......only one says CHOSEN PEOPLE and the other one says MASTER RACE...

Like there's some kind of difference ! The only real difference between the two documents is that different groups are being extolled, and different groups are being villified.

Of course you'd have to READ the texts first, which apparently you cannot.

More's the pity...you might be in for a surprise if you did some more in-depth research... which few people today seem capable of for some reason....!

new topics

top topics

join