It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real look into Doomer Mentality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I honestly wish i had some valid videos, you tube links, essay, article or something to express myself on the idea of doomsday mentaliy and a little explination around it. Instead these vids are more theatrical

Many people jump the gun on people within ats boards saying they are warmongers, fearmongers, doommonger, doomdayers, doomsayers and the list reallyt goes on and on. I wanted to open up the dialogue a little bit and see people opinion of fear, concern and terror during a post 9/11 era of tension, strife, confusion and media manipulation.

What really is the true core of any doomer (I being one of them) is understanding significant sacrifices for the cause of all ,nothing touching on genocide or the elimination of a race, ethic, religious group. come on people
www.youtube.com... unable to embed

The issues is, when millions die millions change! This should be the number perspective many should understand a doomers mentality. After (sadly) a million die, millions will change and repopulate. yes sex exist even after a post apocalyptic SHTF scienero. 3,000 die (right?) in the world trade center and look at the drastic changes our government has implemented on us due to it, for better or worse. Change is bound to happen, a new president can not usure change, a OWS movement cannot do change only in death and destruction
edit on 21-3-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This may sound odd, but I think of humanity and
the draw of "doom and gloom" like this:

Human civilization is like a forest.
The trees represent the government, religions, the corporations,
the policy makers, while the forest floor (small plants and animals)
represents those who are dependent on and/or broken down by
the former mention "trees."

The want of a disaster in our world, is like the smaller plants, animals,
and other "lower" species wanting a forest fire. What may initially sound
like suicide, is actually necessary if one understands anything about
ecosystems and the need for fires to promote life.

A Forest fire can be very dangerous but it can do a lot of good to the economy. If the trees are covering up the sunlight, that can be bad for plants and animals because they need sunlight to survive. So when a forest fire occurs it burns trees down and lets the flow of sunlight come into the forest again. Also when a fire burns trees down that can be a new home for insects or small creatures who live upon wood.

In Australian "forests" (actually, large areas are technically "woodland") eucalypt species promote fire and can survive all but severe fires readily. Many species such as banksia actually require fire for seed germination. The seed pods crack open in the heat and the seeds land in soil fertilised with ash and with the ground and canopy temporarily cleared of other plants.

Our human 'ecosystem' has grown stagnant.
We are indeed in need of a fire to purge some of the canopy
that is keeping our species from progressing.

This purging fire will happen. The only question is; will it
be a natural "fire" or will it be manmade?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Except why should millions have to die for change and why should it be expected? I've said it for a while that the main reason people buy into doomsday/ascension scenarios is because they see the world is broken and they want it to change. But if they can see the world is broken why don't they actually try to fix it instead of waiting for some outside event to change things? There is no cosmic reset button on the Earth. If we want it to change we have to do it ourselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

You have to understand, being a doomsayer, is not something I consciously chose to do. I was brought up during the height of the cold war. I remember the Cuban missile crisis and the fear of nuclear exchange with The Soviets. I was one of the initial test groups for the Polio vaccine in grade school. We had test drills in case an atomic bomb was to go off.
Unfortunately, at least from my point of view, tensions in the world have only accelerated. Now we've got hydrogen bombs , chemical and biological weapons ,snooping high tech capabilities, the shredding of our liberties here in America, looming economic collapse,etc., etc.
This was all done to me and us by design. A frightened population is much easier to confuse and conquer. We willingly have given up so many of our freedoms, hoping for security. I'm ashamed of my generation and what we've left to our kids and grand children.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Assuming that your theory is correct, I suggest that the reason people don't enact the change they see needed, is because the complexity of the problems and the lack of the resources to repair it.

I could come up with a dozen analogies like a burning house or something, but the simple fact is that the problem is too big for humanity to fix. We have past the event horizon of the problems we created or allowed to worsen.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I honestly believe only pain can create change and self transformation. This is true with anyone who has been with guilt. Collectively speaking. I also don't believe that a one world government will work because many other countries are stuck in their ways so much so (U.s. is a young country) that their culture is embedded in that lifestyle. Also, for change to happen would be a global thing for unity or a complete harmony among all people. In order for us to unite we must have a complete common goal in order to achieve this. (alien invasion, diaster, illness,

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I addressed this issue in another thread before. I don't think there is anything that would unite humanity, not even an alien invasion.

Humanity needs a change, but it has to be evolutionary. It is the flaws inherit in humanity that cause our problems.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Except why should millions have to die for change and why should it be expected? I've said it for a while that the main reason people buy into doomsday/ascension scenarios is because they see the world is broken and they want it to change. But if they can see the world is broken why don't they actually try to fix it instead of waiting for some outside event to change things? There is no cosmic reset button on the Earth. If we want it to change we have to do it ourselves.

That is the thing, most do, I can say for myself. Change? Change is helping people, positive reinforcement to trouble friends, 5$ to a bum and helpful insight to those who cannot find work in a gloomy unemployment. Change is soup kitches, the clanker of garbage pick up at a street corner, the helping of a door to a stranger. This is is all great, many do it, but no one will acknowledge the person who gave them a smile at 8:04 in the morning

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

But how can you know that if people are unwilling to try? Take ATS for example. We have people who are on here all day complaining about the state of the world. How can even their little section of the world start getting better if they're spending all their time complaining about the world? We have become a society of chronic complainers. We are more than willing to point out all the problems in the world but god forbid someone actually ask us to do something to help. We expect everything to be given to us with minimal effort and it is that mentality that has got us in the mess we are in right now. So instead of simply sitting around and waiting for the world to fix itself maybe we should actually fix the thought patterns that caused the problems in the first place.

link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Assuming that your theory is correct, I suggest that the reason people don't enact the change they see needed, is because the complexity of the problems and the lack of the resources to repair it.

I could come up with a dozen analogies like a burning house or something, but the simple fact is that the problem is too big for humanity to fix. We have past the event horizon of the problems we created or allowed to worsen.

That is a pessimistic view, to me anyways.

link   
Throwing in my $0.02 from what I have seen and encountered on this board in general.

In my opinion many people are just sick of the way they are living life here on Earth, but it is not life they are sick of, it's the rat-race. The non-stop 9-5 gig they do day-by-day, only to be taxed to death while prices go up to squeeze the last penny out of you. I guess back then people would be able to make money, and enjoy their life after work, take part in activities, be active in the community. Now it's spend all your time to make money, and then spend it all on necessities leaving you nothing but exhaustion.

When you see no way out, and are backed into a corner, chaos and destruction seems like a sort of revenge on the system in the eyes of the person who has been squeezed, rung out and left to dry.

This in my opinion is why many people hope for some big disaster to happen.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing it happen because hey, I believe I'm (incarnated) here to watch the fireworks burn the old system down. It's all for the lulz.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Wolf321

But how can you know that if people are unwilling to try? Take ATS for example. We have people who are on here all day complaining about the state of the world. How can even their little section of the world start getting better if they're spending all their time complaining about the world? We have become a society of chronic complainers. We are more than willing to point out all the problems in the world but god forbid someone actually ask us to do something to help. We expect everything to be given to us with minimal effort and it is that mentality that has got us in the mess we are in right now. So instead of simply sitting around and waiting for the world to fix itself maybe we should actually fix the thought patterns that caused the problems in the first place.

A lot of it is a combination of western lifestyle and instant gratification from technology, insert your own thoughts

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I quite agree - If the world is broken then it is up to us to fix it - There is no magic wand
What is it that ails the world?
People look to place the blame on others yet it starts with each individual.
The hardest thing any can ever do is to look at themselves honestly
It is not always a pretty sight
We can hide behind masks but inside we know what is right and wrong.
No one else has the answer to our problems but ourselves
By our attitude or intention we create our own circumstances
We all need to accept the situations that we daily encounter and see them as an oppurtunity to learn about ourselves and in turn others.
We are all in this together - It makes sense we should care for each other

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Earth does have a reset button. Many in fact.

All of that aside, you seem to think that we can just "fix" the world. Have you ever tried to tell a country that they're not going to be getting the trillions of dollars we borrowed back? Have you ever told a billionaire that his fortune was worthless, and that he'd have to accept this in order for the world to move on?
Have you ever done the math on 64 trillion dollars and tried to find out where that money to pay off our debt was going to come from? (here's a hint: If every nation on Earth pitched in, it still wouldn't be enough)

This isn't Earth day. People can't just go out and plant a tree. We're living in some extraordinarily volatile times.

When a forest becomes too crowded, too shaded, the inevitable fire is not only necessary, it's a blessing.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Tradgedy has caused people to unite. Many earth related scenario have happen, moment of silence, japan Earthquake, 9/11, Katrina, India tsunamis (was it india?) School shooting, children death (union of small communities) , The entire mid west coast electricity power outage back around 2000 (people came out). The millions starving in Africa (what ever happen to that?) , Hate to say it, uganda, M.E. issues.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

But how can you know that if people are unwilling to try?

The same way you know you cannot cram a refrigerator into a cereal box. The problems are so massive, anyone can see that. Some are smart enough to analyze the inter-connectivity and layers of the problems and calculate in every term possible, that it cannot be done.

How can even their little section of the world start getting better if they're spending all their time complaining about the world? We have become a society of chronic complainers

I think we have just reached the point that most people have tried in every extent they have the ability to, only to see failure and the problems only get worse. Like with any type of trial and error, you have far more failures than successes. With our problems, the successes are so insignificant, as the problem only becomes more complex, that to continue to try at this point only ads increased personal suffering. So instead, people take what relief they can from simply venting.

I don't know where I stand on the ideas of ascension or ET intervention, but I can see how that would be a default, although far-fetched hope for many. Something so far beyond us, because our problems have already far exceeded our ability to deal with them.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Perhaps. To me its simple realism.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Once again this is an extremely defeatist attitude. Of course we're not going to be able to fix the world if we simply look at the problems facing and then say, "They're too big. Why even try?" Why we try? Because what do we have to lose by trying? As long as we maintain this attitude that we can't fix things nothing will ever be fixed. However, who knows what might actually be accomplished if we actually tried. Sure we might not be able to fix all our problems but maybe we can at least get to the point where people are actually banking on and hoping for the majority of humanity to be wiped out.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Doom and gloom is not new to me.

I have lived with it since 1947.

Without a doubt I can tell you the cold war was hell everyday.
In the 50's people were beginning to build bomb shelters which was most difficult where I live because we are only a few feet above sea level.

We would see a fairly large mound of dirt growing in someones yard and would know they were building a shelter and covering it with earth.

I became very upset when we didn't build one. Then I realised in a nuclear war there would be nothing to come out of a shelter for.

We cannot make the ball roll backwards now.
It is not a matter if we will destroy ourselves but a certainity that we will.

But we have no certainity that we won't fall tomorrow and break our neck or get run over by a car.

As for me I am enjoying this beautiful life, working on strengthing my faith in God and not missing a seconds sleep over any of the doomsday scenerios.

I refuse to live my life in fear.

We are all going to die one day, why not live the best we can until that time.

Now worry all you want.
I plan to get on my Harley and take a midnight ride down by the river.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Once again this is an extremely defeatist attitude. Of course we're not going to be able to fix the world if we simply look at the problems facing and then say, "They're too big. Why even try?" Why we try? Because what do we have to lose by trying? As long as we maintain this attitude that we can't fix things nothing will ever be fixed. However, who knows what might actually be accomplished if we actually tried. Sure we might not be able to fix all our problems but maybe we can at least get to the point where people are actually banking on and hoping for the majority of humanity to be wiped out.

I'm all for it where do we start> protesting? social network awareness? White house? Parliament? Interweb? Is democracy the anser? Should we write to our senator? How about a class lawsuit? Maybe the entire western world should stop working for an entire week. No more driving? Hunger strike? Threats? Violance? gun s? Running to city hall? yelling at people up the corner? Mass promotion campign with all the fixins, flyers?
Blame the elite? Blame ourselves? blame TPTB, rothschild? george soro, will go to his house and pickit it, right..../
Sounds like the focus of the collective ows,

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join