It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Coup Rumors in China Aren't Going Away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I wasn't aware of a coup in China until I happened upon this article. The author has assembled some rather in depth and substantial information within his article (apparently), of which seemingly shows strong signs of a possible coup taking place in China's upper echelons of power.

Being the lay person that I am when it comes to Chinese politics I can't say one way or another but I felt it worthy of posting. Perhaps others will be able to support or oppose the claim that have a better understanding of Chinese politics. I am not familiar with this source but it doesn't seem to be a fly by night operation and on the surface the author seems to be creditable enough.

If this is the case, what role would a coup play with the current status quo in the political world? Personally, I don't know who the "bad guys" are from the "good guys" (if any at all) in China to know if this is something that should be watched more closely. On the surface, it seems there are some waves occurring within the Chinese government nonetheless.

I would love to be able to add more insight to this, instead I'll leave it to the membership to decide. However, I am rather curious about it and would like to become more familiar with the subject matter. Thanks in advance to any and all contributors of this thread.

MARK MACKINNON
Beijing— Globe and Mail Update
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:03PM EDT

One of the truths of reporting on China is that few journalists, maybe none, can honestly claim to know what’s going on inside the upper echelons of power.

In other countries, you might see reporters offhandedly refer to their unnamed contacts inside the Prime Minister’s Office, or the White House, or whatever institution they’re covering. Even when I worked in famously enigmatic Russia, I had a few “Kremlin sources” I could occasionally turn to.

The coup rumour began with Chinese bloggers noting some unusual security around the Zhongnanhai leadership compound in the centre of Beijing on Monday night. The speculation grew more excited when some residents reported hearing gunshots in the area.

Full Article Source

"MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY" ...links within the article (for ease of access).

VIDEO: China sacks leadership contender Bo Xilai
Secrecy of mysterious Ferrari crash fuels speculation in Beijing
Bo Xilai, a fallen star in an opaque land
China removes top leadership contender from Chongqing post
Brewing China scandal could be a reality check for Harper
Bo Xilai's ouster severs vital Canada-China link
Bo Xilai firing saga looks far from over in China

Related ATS Thread

Chinese Economy Already in ‘Hard Landing,’ according to JPMorgan
edit on 3/21/2012 by UberL33t because: typo

edit on 3/21/2012 by UberL33t because: typos #2

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Well, this doesnt sound to coupish really, just another red chinese politico who fell afoul of their system.....
Perhaps an even larger scandal will follow, however it looks to me if a coup was in motion, somebody stopped it cold.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Interesting, I wonder if "word" of a coup in China will make it to any mainstream? I would think that China would squelch even the hint of a coup occurring that happens to blow by on the cyber breeze, be curious to see if this breeze gains some strength, what (if any) response would come from China? I don't think they would admit to even an attempt at a coup.

join