It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keystone pipeline: Southern portion should be expedited, Obama says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Keystone pipeline: Southern portion should be expedited, Obama says

Is Obama caving in ?

Or is this political pressure ?

Or, is this a campaign tactic ?

Or, is it just plain common sense ?

3/21/12 5:21 PM EDT -- Politico

CUSHING, Okla. — President Barack Obama will use Thursday’s visit to Oklahoma to announce that he's ordered federal agencies to get on the horse to approve the southern part of the Keystone XL pipeline, the White House announced.

Obama will issue an executive order on federal permitting of infrastructure projects, "which will require agencies to make faster permitting and review decisions for vital infrastructure projects while protecting the health and vitality of local communities and the environment," the White House said.....
Obama Pipe line ?

from MSNBC

A Democratic aide on Capitol Hill has confirmed to NBC News that Democrats were notified that President Obama will announce that his administration will hasten the permit process for the southern portion of the Keystone XL pipeline during his visit to Cushing, Okla., Thursday.

A White House official would not confirm the reports and would only say, "On Thursday the President will reiterate his administration’s commitment to expediting the construction of a pipeline from Cushing, Oklahoma to the Gulf of Mexico, relieving a bottleneck of oil and bringing domestic resources to market."

But Republicans were quick to lash out. Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner said: "This is like a governor personally issuing a fishing license...There is only a minor, routine permit needed for this leg of the project. Only a desperate administration would inject the President of the United States into this trivial matter. The President’s attempt to take credit for a pipeline he blocked and personally lobbied Congress against is staggering in its dis-ingenuousness. This portion of the pipeline is being built in spite of the President, not because of him.’”...
MSNBC Article

I thought I read recently that some construction already started anyway ?

In January, Republicans attached the Keystone XL Oil pipeline into legislation that would extend the payroll tax cut. The Obama administration denied the permit for the pipeline (which would extend from Canada to the Gulf Coast) saying there wasn't time to conduct an environmental review.

In February, TransCanada, the company behind Keystone, announced plans to build the southern portion of the pipeline which does not require the same type of presidential permit because it does not cross a border.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Definitely a campaign tactic. And trying to sidetrack his record of vetoing the Keystone pipeline in the process.

This time it is not gonna work. What a charlatan.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
From what I am seeing on the news the Southern portion of the pipeline has nothing to do with Obama or the Federal Government. When that info gets posted on any of the msm media sites Ill come back with the link. This was an interview from this morning.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
This guy would pander to dogs running in the streets if would get him more votes. He needs to go. Soon.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The Keystone Pipeline will be built - in spite of - Obama not because of Obama.

His Energy Secretary Chu looks pathetic during the hearings.

"I want an A for the job i have done."

Dream on. You get an F.

new topics

top topics

join