It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigators say they've found key clue to fate of Amelia Earhart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Note: I've never started a post based on anything that is already out there, and had my first interesting experience with the search feature today. If there is already something going on this, please disregard...

news.blogs.cnn.com...

Gillespie said the photo was taken by a British survey team in October 1937 and had been seen by Earhart researchers many times. But investigators took a new look at it in 2010 and, when their suspicions were triggered, had the photo checked by U.S. State Department experts. In a blind review, they determined the component in the picture is the landing gear of a Lockheed Electra.

So. Interesting. It seems this Nikumaroro Atoll has been a point of focus for a while, but this is one detail that had escaped notice.

I decided to take a look at Nikumaroro Atoll on Google Earth, and with water surface turned off, check if there are any characteristics of the area around the Atoll that suggest "aircraft". However, it looks like the resolution on the Google data leaves a little to be desired. I remember when Steve Fossett went missing, there was a downloadable Google Earth overlay that gave an updated, very high resolution view of the search area. Anyone know of a way to get such info for the Nikumaroro area? Or even to contact someone who could get in touch with someone who could make such a thing available?

new topics

join