It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Herbal Remedy Book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Does anyone know of a Herbal Remedy book that would include the following:

The plant
A description w/ detailed info
A color picture of the plant
What it's used to heal
How much to take to heal whatever aliments

I've been trying to find one, all I keep finding is books with either one of those above things, or just a book about different stuff with vague information. IMHO, think this would be one of the most perfect items to having during SHittingTF.

So does anyone know of such a book or could they point myself and others in the right direction to find such a book. Thanks.

-Darc

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Culpeper's was the best one I had ever found. It is in black and white, not color, but you can take the plant names and match to a book with color plates. His uses and ways of using each plant part is still, in my opinion, the best out there.

Nicholas Culpeper

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I actually like "Prescription for Herbal Healing" by Phyllis Balch.

Has done wonders for me and I believe it has most of what you're looking for.

You can check out the reviews on Amazon, which is what I usually do before buying a book.

Hope that helps! It's definitely in my BOB for if TSHTF.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Awesome. Thanks Gentleman (perhaps Ladies, stupid internet). I'll have to check them out. I always picture a book like that being leather bound in old handwritting and such. If anyone has anymore that would be awesome. I woudl like to eventually take a look at all of them and turn it into a compliation of works.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This book is a must in any home.......I swear by it. You can buy a used copy of it on Amazon books too.

The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments hard cover www.amazon.com...

Des

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thats sick. I have a feeling I'm going to try and get all of these.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Excellent! Thanks Des, I too have been looking for a book like this. I just bought mine, used from Goodwill Industries, only $5.50 including tax and shipping. An awesome deal!!!

Now if I can just get an "edible wild plants" book that has decent color pictures, I'd be an extra-happy camper.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DrakeDarc

The best book ever written is.."A modern herbal" by Mrs M .Grieve. Its literaly got everything. Latin names common names and diseases and the cures .It might be out of print as it was written in the thirties but I managed to get a copy,from a book store about ten years ago.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I agree. We definitly need one of those books, that would be greatly helpful.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Best book is Back to Eden by Kloss...from around 1930, like a thousand pages stuffed with info, an index of ailments and the herbs to cure them, everything but the pictures. Any basic plant ID picture book along with this gives you everything, even forgotten stuff.
edit on 21-3-2012 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

www.amazon.com...
edit on 21-3-2012 by CaptChaos because: add link

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Here is one that's good.....

Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants [Paperback]
Samuel Thayer (Author)

This review is from: Nature's Garden: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants (Paperback)
These are not good times to put out a book on edible wild plants. Unless you're Samuel Thayer.

When I reviewed Thayer's first book, The Foragers Harvest, I wrote that it is as good or better than anything available on the topic. It has since become the go-to book for students at the Jack Mountain Bushcraft School. His new book, Nature's Garden, builds upon the high standard set by The Foragers Harvest and establishes him as the leading authority and author on edible wild plants that has ever published. It isn't slightly better than other books on the topic; it's in a whole different league.

The meat of the book is made up of plant accounts. These are in-depth profiles of edible plants, full of photos of how to identify, harvest and use them. The author bases all of his work on personal experience, so there aren't the usual falsehoods handed down by authors of lesser works. Instead, you get what works, along with anecdotal stories of how the author got to know the individual plants and how he's used them in the past. His writing style is conversational, and while there is a description for each plant that includes botanical terminology, the author writes it so as to make it accessible to the non-botanist. The numerous photos contribute greatly to aid the neophyte in identifying the individual species. The Harvest And Preparation section for each plant is where the author's experience really shines. Whereas the Peterson's Field Guide To Edible Wild Plants will list "starchy root" or similar descriptive term after a plant, Thayer has several pages of highly descriptive how-to information. To use a specific example, most books on edible plants have a sentence or two on acorns. Nature's Garden has 50 pages.

Anyone who has read The Foragers Harvest would expect the Plant Accounts to be encyclopedic and accessible, full of great photos and useful information. On this point, they deliver. If the book contained just Plant Accounts it would still be a fantastic resource. But there's more to outdoor living and foraging than how-to, and in the first section of the book the author gives a snapshot into the mind of living with wild foods. With sections on getting started, the ethics of harvesting wild plants, conservation, personal experiences on a wild food diet and a harvest calendar, he provides those new to foraging a great jumping off point. In a section titled Some Thoughts On Wild Food, he offers useful advice such as don't make a wild plant fit the description in the book (which is a common pitfall), then expounds upon the myth of the instant expert. The last chapter of the section is titled "Poison Plant Fables", where he discusses the story of Christopher McCandless and how his demise in Alaska, chronicled in the book and movie Into The Wild, didn't occur as the famous author of his biography would have us believe. He didn't poison himself by eating the wrong plant. Rather, he starved to death. By pointing out the facts, though, he doesn't poke fun at McCandless like so many armchair survivalists like to do. Instead, he treats him with respect, saving his derision for the authors and movie producers for not telling the truth. The money quote from this section comes in a section titled "What Lessons About Wilderness Survival And Wild Food Can Be Drawn From The Story Of Chris McCandless?"

'In a short term survival situation, food is of minor importance. However, in long term survival or "living off the land", it is of paramount importance.'

Bushcraft continues to evolve for me away from skills and toward personal relationships with the land and people. While I've never met Samual Thayer, after reading this first section I feel that we're kindred spirits.

There isn't a better book on edible wild plants. Taken together with The Foragers Harvest, it is the last word on the topic in print. I don't think more can be learned from any book; to go beyond what Thayer has written, you have to be out there actively foraging.

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also....a link to a survivalist guide to edible wild plant books with reviews..... MUST READ LINK.....

www.bepreparedtosurvive.com...

edit on 21-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by Destinyone

Excellent! Thanks Des, I too have been looking for a book like this. I just bought mine, used from Goodwill Industries, only $5.50 including tax and shipping. An awesome deal!!!

Now if I can just get an "edible wild plants" book that has decent color pictures, I'd be an extra-happy camper.

FS...did your book arrive yet? If so, don't you think it's just awesome. You got a real deal on it. List price is $29.00.

Des

top topics

join