It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 000 galaxies in this 6 TB IR photo!! Deepest IR sky view ever taken

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It's when you see shots like this you realise that in galactic scales the most remote part of the earth is absolutely nothing in distance for how far in the back of beyond we are inrelation to the Universe, and yes i'm sure there will be the usual flat earthers and religious zealots who will continue with the made in (insert particular sky fairy deity) of man that is the pinnacle of (said deity) achievement

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht
In each of these galaxies, there are billions of stars, most of them with tens of planets. And we have the nerve to believe we are the only ones? What a waste of space would that be, wouldn't it?

Nice find OP!!

F&S!

I don't think anyone is wasted space and for a bunch of gas and rocks who cares,
only space promoters who can't figure out what to do on Earth or worse hold back
man form advanced knowledge on Earth and rather send people to war or space.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
WoW! That is amazing! Dunno about you but looking at that and thinking about the context of my own existence ie one of 7 billion intelligent apes living on a small island on small ball of dirt and water out in the backwaters of the milky way on one 1 planet out of billions in one galaxy out of billions... Made me feel kind of insignificant. S+F for you OP.

edit on 10/4/12 by Anon77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Automatic S&F, I LOVE LOVE pics like this, you can just stare into and stare and your mind cant even FATHOM how much is out there we dont know about

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Buy a Macintosh.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
And out of ALL THAT, we humans think we're alone.

It's almost comical.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
In all this vastness... In all of this endlessness... In this infinite sea of light...

If all that we know is truly vast/endless/infinite... then that means that anything ever conceived, ever imagined, ever encountered in dreams...

EXISTS.

Somewhere, somehow... someWHEN.

So, unleash your wildest dreams. If this is really infinite, then just the act of thinking about something, like a daydream, brings it into existence.

Now, THAT IS AMAZING.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is why there is such a thing called 'Simulated hypothesis'.
The data just keeps getting added and becomes more complex once there is an observer. The vastness is nearly unbelievable.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The newer and now closed thread about this has 20 flags and was third on the Flag list on New Topics. This is another case of there not being enough threads kept longer on the New Topics list - only eight threads are listed and they go by quickly. I put up a thread about this on the Board forum, hoping to enlarge the number of threads listed.

I'll put my comment from the closed thread, the one with more flags and stars (ironic, pertaining to this topic), in the next post.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Aleister because: edit

edit on 11-4-2012 by Aleister because: flags, not stars

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Why don't they make many many more of these things? If they could take this pic in 55 hours, why not continue and make more pics of different parts of the sky, for the next 55 hours, and the next... do hundreds of them in a couple of years. Imagine the discoveries that could be found. I'm very surprised the Hubble hasn't done dozens of Deep Fields by noiw and not just three or four.

And thanks, most people missed the earlier thread and apparantly this thread as well. Things go by fast here, this should be a main story.

(This comment copied from my reply in the newer thread about this topic, which has more flags as I post this)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadioKnecht
In each of these galaxies, there are billions of stars, most of them with tens of planets. And we have the nerve to believe we are the only ones? What a waste of space would that be, wouldn't it?

Nice find OP!!

F&S!

Who are "we"?

You would be very hard-pressed to find too many people in the general public with even some science education who doesn't think that intelligent life probably exists elsewhere in the vast universe (maybe a few religious extremists, but then again, the ARE "extremists").

Practically all scientists believe life almost surely exists elsewhere, even NASA scientists (I could say "especially" NASA scientists, because their natural interest in space sciences probably pre-disposes them to think that intelligent ETs are out there somewhere).

However, the question "Is ET life is visiting the Earth" is a different one all together.

edit on 4/11/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join