It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldman Sachs: Best Time in a Generation to Buy Stocks, Sell Bonds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

As much as most of us could effortlessly list a dozen reasons why the next 10 years will be as hard on stock investors as the previous decade, what matters today is that Goldman Sachs (GS) is making a big call to the contrary.

In a research note out this morning, "The Long Good Buy," Goldman's chief global equity strategist, Peter Oppenheimer, unveils a whopper: "The prospects for future returns in equities relative to bonds are as good as they've been in a generation."

In one fell swoop, Oppenheimer has not only called out the analysts that we just highlighted for being 6-months late in supporting the current rally, but raised the ante by calling for more of the same, for the foreseeable future. Specifically, "a steady upward trajectory over the next few years."

finance.yahoo.com...

Buy up muppets!! Goldman says it's a great time to buy. I find it hilarious that they would state this right after they were blasted by one of their own employees.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
technically they are right, it is a good time to buy.

A - market returns and you get rich

B - market crashes and your dollars aren't worth the paper they are printed on anyway.

unless you need some paper for fire starter, I'd say its a good time to invest!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yeah, that's why all the rats are leaving the ship, right?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I love Mark Taibbi's description of Goldman Sachs from a Rolling Stone article a couple years ago:

"a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."

Very poetic, huh? I thought so.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Just more pump before the dump. Goldman has been in the forefront of fleecing investors for decades. If you enter the market now you'll regret it by the end of the 2nd quarter. The market right now is like a rocket that has run out of fuel, it's momentum is still carrying it upward but the fall is just physics.

Keep you powder dry for now. Remember the secret of the market "buy low sell high" It's amazing how many retail investors do jut the opposite, duh

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
5oes anybody know what typicaly happens to grain commodities in these sort of economic situations?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bladerunner44

Exactly! The market is way over-bought right now, and I'll bet the rent that Goldman Sucks is fixing to hold a bunch of short positions and is getting ready to pull the rug out from underneath the suckers and the goobers who chase a market that is way overdue for a "correction" to the downside.

GS is a cabal of professional hucksters, liars, and market manipulators. Why should we believe anything that comes out of that den of thieves?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Scamy1

If the dollar continues to go up, grain commodities will go down. Conversely, if the dollar goes down, grain commodities will go up.

Keep your eye on the US Dollar along with the grain commodities. I feel that the dollar will go down, because it has to.

This "happy days are here again" market spin is a result of blatant manipulation (probably with the blessings of the White House) and cannot last.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Goldman Sachs - "Best Time in a Generation to Buy Stocks, Sell Bonds"

Is that Goldman speak for "Sell Stocks, Buy Bonds"

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Now with that in mind and given the nature of fiat currencies natural tendency to devalue especially with all the new money being pumped into the system. I think were heading for far worst then just a market crash,I never really relized how desperate things could get... I wonder if we'll be able to trade surplus grain for apple and facebook stock if things go that way?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I concur with Goldman Sachs. Bonds are a one way street to having basically no return for the next 5 years and losses if you need to sell them before maturity.

Stocks by almost all measures are extremely cheap. Pretty much the only thing that will stop them is a very major geo-political or economic event.

The game is fixed for the corporations. You may as well play along and make money from it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ukWolf

that depends on whether you are playing with your money, or goldman's.

All signs seem to indicate a likely retreat in stock prices. This has been written about quite a bit in the last few days and one of the key factors that seem to be spooking the analysts and market watchers is the rise in prices on low volume.

That low volume is a huge problem for the brokers. They make their money on volume. the more they trade, the more they make. This is why goldman just laid off a bunch of employees (yesterday I belive) and it is why the young guns out of college are no longer so gung ho on wall street. I had a goldman employee come see me the other day. He's making great money for a guy his age but, given that he lives in NYC and works on wall street, it's fair, at best. He knows that the chances of him seeing the massive bonuses are slim to none for the foreseeable future and he's considering leaving. The profession. Not the firm. There's a lot of that going on. guys are not making what they used, the firms aren't making what they used to.

So, what's a giant evil vampire squid to do when low volume is hurting business?

Tell everyone the water's fine, jump on in.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Since when is buying at all stock index highs suppose to be a buy signal?

Since when did the idiots, that would bite on this tripe, have funds to invest?

More likely that GS is planning to dump their holdings...

edit on 21-3-2012 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I agree!
This is the perfect time to buy!
The perfect time to buy inverse stocks that is,
especially the FAZ- the financial bear index

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Goldman Sachs is always laying off their bottom % of workers (just as Enron did when it was around), keeps the workers on edge and willing to "do anything" to keep their job and bonuses. These guys are nothing more than a boiler room pushing the next bubble.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

lmao.. Goldman waits until the markets are at a peak and beginning to flounder again and claim it's the best time to buy..

The best time to buy in a generation would have been March 2009.

Today would be among the dumbest times to buy. Beaten perhaps only be October 12th 2007.

new topics

top topics

join