It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP sets out to destroy Paul, Gingrich's ability to use Delegates at Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Using a little known rule passed following the 2008 campaign which states "Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination."

The GOP now contends that this rule should be interpreted that a candidate must win 5 states outright with a majority of the delegates to even be considered the GOP nominee. This would exclude Gingrich and Paul from the running. Such a narrow interpretation of this rule does not address that a candidate may in fact have the most support of a delegate from a State after those delegates cast their votes in the National convention. The rule calls for a showing of the majority of delegates even though no votes have been cast.

www.cbsnews.com...

So what does everyone think about this rule on such a narrow interpretation? Under this type of interpretation your vote doesn't matter unless you vote for the most popular candidate.
edit on 21-3-2012 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2012 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
1) It applies to the 1st ballot - Paul was never going to win on the first ballot.

2) He will have a plurality of delegates from WA, MN, AK, ND, ME among others anyway.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

At the risk of being accused of sounding all conspiracy-like, I think TPTB have decided on Romney to be the next president. The only thing I see that would could change that is for Paul to run as a Libertarian. That would split the conservative vote and we would end up with four more years of hope and change.
edit on 3/21/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Typical, if Paul can win by playing by the rules, then they wanna change the rules. It's only gonna hurt the GOP because they cannot beat Obama without the paul supporters. Period.
edit on 21-3-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

link   
Under basically under any type of interpretation I feel as if my vote does not matter anymore.
I don't really understand why the GOP would enforce this rule though. If Paul and Newt don't have the delegates they should not win the nomination. Why is there need to eliminate them? What is the GOPs worry?

link   
I think Paul is out to break the GOP party a bit, and that's not a bad thing. That's how I look at it.
edit on 21-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Even if RP does not run as a third-party choice, Romney will not beat Obama.

This entire GOP circus will not solidify behind Romney and you will see most GOP voters stay home on election day if Romney is the nominee.

On topic:

I doubt Gingrich will make it to the convention, but RP will. This rule the GOP is trying to use will not do any good in the second and third rounds of convention voting.

We could see an underdog take the show if the delegates break ranks in their favor......What a sight that would be!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i second the sheepslayer

it really is coming down to it in the next few months

if ron paul cannot get on the ballot for the republicans than he has to run as a libertarian

even if that means 4 more years, anyone who thinks romney would be anything different is clearly daft
he would just be a return of the bush era and at a very bad time

at least if ron paul ran libertarian he could send another strong message out there

and prove that the time for a revolution would be starting

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If Ron Paul runs as an Independent, he will take votes away from Obama.

I say go for it!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
As it has already been stated he will probably win the plurality of delegates in 5 states.

Also, as I understand it this rule is only in effect for the 1st round of voting and after the first round, which RP won't win regardless, people are free to vote for him. I don't have any solid info to back this up though.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Well, the rule was set up in 2008 with the McCain-Huckabee-Romney-Paul fracas, though it didn't seem to benefit any of them with McCain the very clear winner there. It may have been put in back when there were more than 8 people running (including Giuliani and Thompson) and a possibility that it'd end up in a five way tie.

The party needs to reform its whole process, frankly. The "nonbinding straw polls", caucuses, and elections with their various rules are a nightmare and nobody's happy with the results. It might force the beauty contest down to two people, with Gingrich and Paul able to negotiate some terms with whomever they choose. That would be a way to broker their ideals from a position of non-power.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I think Paul is out to break the GOP party a bit, and that's not a bad thing. That's how I look at it.
edit on 21-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

I Hope Ron Paul DESTROYS the Republican Party , they have become Irrevelant now with All their Underhanded dealings behind the scenes . Ron Paul the Independent Candidate for POTUS is My Only Choice Now..........

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Yes, it is only for the 1st round of voting, but all those delegate have to vote for someone on the ballot.

So if Gingrich and Paul aren't on the first ballot, with only two left on the ballot (Romney and Santorum), someone will get the needed delegates. It is possible that they could both get exactly 1143...but I don't think that is likely.

So if they do put this rule into effect...I don't think they will get to the second round of voting.

top topics

join