It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make each day count before its too late...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In writing this I think that the time is coming for something to take place. World events are taking place more and more. Geo-physical, political, weather, and so on. There is less time between events. I dont feel that our governments are capable of adapting and responding to said events. Executive orders are being signed in haste because the political process takes too long. Many orders and actions by the governments will only cater to a select few. The majority of us will be left to provide for ourselves or sign into involuntary servitude for goods and services provided by the government.

I realized some time ago that we as a society are uncapable of taking care of ourselves. We rely on someone else to provide for us services that we cant provide for ourselves.

In 1999, I left East Texas to begin my enlistment in the United States Marine Corps. Though boot camp was difficult, it was not as impossible as I had imagined. If you said yes sir or no sir and understood that hard work would be required to accomplish any task then you would succeed. Apparently that isnt common practice in the majority of our world anymore. The sense of entitlement I observed in many recruits was astonishing. They didnt understand that everything in life wasnt just handed to you.

Shortly after I finished my training I was stationed on Southern California at Camp Pendleton. One day was in the parking lot of my apartment changing the oil in my truck. Several peers approached and asked why I was changing the oil myself and not taking it to the service station down the road. I explained that I always serviced my vehicle myself, that that was how my father raised me. I then learned that most of them didnt know how to service their own vehicles, nor did their fathers.

Over time I have seen that most of the population would be screwed if all the modern services currently used by society were suddenly rendered useless. Think about how many people could actually provide for themselves.
How many can hunt, fish, manage a garden, sew, render first aid, cook from scratch, build a fire, repair a vehicle, provide shelter.

Not many people have all the skills needed to make long term on their own. My father raised my siblings and I under the idea of being a "jack of all trades, master of none." We are pack animals. We thrive in groups. Everyone has something to offer. Even most people who have began preparations for a doomsday can only survive short term by themselves. Eventually we will have to regroup and rebuild. Those with the most skill sets will be the most valuable. Those with no skills for survival will need to be taught or used as labor. What role do you want to fill?

Like the title states, make each day count. Start now. When the SHTF it will be too late. You need to plan and organize now. Meet with like minded people and discuss plans for a worst case scenario. We may lose all forms of communcation via television, newspaper, internet, and radio in an instant. Then what? Hide and wait for someone to come save you?

I live in central Arkansas currently. I plan to immediately begin making contact with other people in the area and start planning. Muster points, safe zones, ect. Who is bringing what to the table? What areas would we be lacking in? Who to contact to gain training or skill sets? Its now you start. Not tomorrow because it might be too late...

Just putting this out for all to read and think about. Preparing for the end of our current world as we know is more than installing an under ground bunker. Its what happens when your food and water stock pile run out and you have to venture out into the unknown.....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I completely agree with you. I'm an older Woman, and can cook anything fairly tasty and healthy, from just about anything. I'm floored by this younger generation of Women who admit to not ever cooking anything. They brag of never having made anything from scratch. When I ask them why they never learned to cook...they laugh and say, "I can buy anything I want, anytime I want". Or, I'm sometimes asked why I bother to make something as simple as a pie crust from scratch. I know of families that purchase their whole holiday dinners precooked from a store.

When did something a basic as cooking for one's family become a thing of the past. How will these people survive without stores, micro wave food, and fast food joints. I don't know.

Des

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nolongerblind

That philosophy should be applied to everything you do, and everyone you love.

Nice thread.

S&F

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hey, I am glad most people are either too lazy or just lack the skills to do things for themselves. It has enabled me to live job free for over 4 years now. Let the sheep graze. They refuse to wake up for even the loss of their freedoms, why would they do anything else?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You and I are of the same ilk, Des. I cook all my meals from scratch (except for bread, due to rheumatoid arthritis, it makes it hard for me to knead the dough....but I could do it if I had to). I had my older daughter take cooking in 4H when she was 9. She still cooks. My younger daughter only knows how to cook ramen noodles and scramble eggs (she's 19). I've tried to teach her, but she figures there will always be mom or a handy friend who knows how to cook, so why should she learn? When she gets married, I hope her husband likes a lot of eggs and noodles, or knows how to cook.

My husband can do anything with electronics, from fixing household items, to motors, to computers and wind turbines. He knows mechanics, plumbing, concrete masonry and construction. He's even a decent shot when trying to hit a moving target, handy if we run out of food.

I can cook from scratch, sew, crochet and garden. I have been trying to teach myself which wild plants around here are edible, and which are medicinal. I am fairly well versed in anatomy, physiology and various diseases and their treatments with herbs and supplements. Between the two of us, we don't need to hire anybody to do anything except heavy manual labor or surgery. I think, as a team, we have a good skill set.

I have to say, though, that waiting for the S to hit the F is tiresome, anxious business. I suppose that is the price to pay for being aware (or paranoid, I haven't decided which yet).

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I know,its mindboggling when a young woman will state that she can hardly make toast-and think its funny..I started cooking from scratch+baking in my early teens,and i had friends who liked to bake all kinds of goodies.My 14 year old daughter loves cooking and especialy baking,and insists on making every single little thing from scratch-ive sometimes offered to buy,for instance, puff pastry for small chicken pies,to save her some time,but she says:NO,its not the same,its like "fake food"! My oldest daughter cooks well also.I think it may have to do with geographical location in some cases,in Africa,specialy in the rural areas,we live closer to the earth and nature.Most of the teenagers hereabouts seem to find it fun to cook,and create goodies.Its a trickle-down from the old days,here in my country.And the average South African man in general dont find it cute if a woman is all fluffy and helpless,waiting to be rescued,they respect a capable woman who can look after herself.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

In a SHTF situation...who do you think will be viewed as a better survival asset...the cute skill-less, needs everything done for her girl. Or the one who can pull her own weight by cooking meals for the hunters.....

Good for you for making your daughters well rounded valuable assets.....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Glad to see that we are not completely lost here... seems that the women still have their wits about them....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
fully self sufficient out here far from the cesspool of western "civilisation" ... let it all fall apart not my concern if the mindless masses are too stupid , fat and lazy to survive... the herd could use a good thinning ...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I agree, the herd does need thinned a bit. It wont be nice but it is something that needs to be done. They have no one to blame but themselves...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I hate to say it, but this is correct. Worthless eaters are overly-abundant in America. What you really have to worry about if the grid goes down... is the savages.

I have no one in my group currently, but I have invited several people, just for them to look at me crazy. I have a plan, make that 2 plans. A back-up is a necessity in this scenario. I reckon I'll be going it alone though... I've gotten used to the loneliness since my discharge, though. Never had a family.

Anyways, my plan puts me on top, with very valuble things which to barter with. There is a pharmacy two blocks down. My first and only stop. I will have plenty of medicine to use for bartering, or just helping people in need that I may come across. I have my training, and it's all I need to get by for the short-term... Hopefully it won't take very long to find or start a community of people like myself and the OP...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Excellent thread, and well said. I had a roommate from Kentucky who didn't work on his own cars because he thought it was "beneath him." Blew my mind to actually want to be dependent on someone else. As for meeting up with fellow like minds search out the A.R.M. Might be what your looking for.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 777Patriot

A.R.M. ? Ill look into it. Our strength will be in numbers.
edit on 21-3-2012 by nolongerblind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Raxoxane

In a SHTF situation...who do you think will be viewed as a better survival asset...the cute skill-less, needs everything done for her girl. Or the one who can pull her own weight by cooking meals for the hunters.....

Well in a situation with no food anymore they could be eaten since they would not be useful for anything but breeding or being meat if they do not have any skills that are useful to the survivors. Still humans who would do that kind of thing will be quickly killed i would guess. Could you imagine that? women on a spit roasting as another one who is useful and worthy of being a equal to the men around her?*Shudders* Cannibalism is scary to think about but might become rampant in a SHTF scenario after a year or more.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

I could never revert to cannibalism. They might make decent fertilizer for my crops though....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You can never evade death.
If someone said..
You are gonna die tomorrow at 2:00pm at work

You don't go to work that day...
You will die anyways.

It's just that way.
Everyone dies eventually. I don't care when I die. I will die in good peace and respecting other's...
Except Elmo of course, he did tell me the Government is a good friend to me....

NOT.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yeah. that would be preferrable if there was no other way. Or you could trade the women for supplies to others with..certain proclivities. What they would do with them after would not be your problem right?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by matty1053

By applying survival skills and attempting to salvage what is left of mankind after the SHTF, I wouldnt say that Im trying to evade death. My time is my time. Im not disputing that. But I wont let TPTB dictate when my time is.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

Trading people for goods or services is not a tolerable practice. Wasnt in the past and wont be in the future...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I can't send U2U just yet, my friend. I'll answer your more personal queries when I can. As for the other, check my introduction posted earlier this evening. Download Tor Browser Bundle, so that you can access my resources.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join