It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You LOSE Credibility When You CANNOT Spell..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Originally posted by Vinny5036
Many times I see a "New Thread" title misspelled, I have to wonder ones credibility. Either you're extremely lazy (spell check), or you're simply dumb.

There certainly are times when a poster may have started an interesting topic or thread, but I'm disappointed when they spell a words like comet, alien, earth, asteroid, government, people, or the. I don't get it, use spell check. As an ATS community of well-rounded folks, we're smarter than this. Most of us are educated or simply have the smarts to keep our posts at least punctually correct.

Step it up, use spell check, or go back to school.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot this part. I also have seen posters who claim to be astronomers or physicists who cannot spell "star" or "mass"...those are the ones I really believe in.
edit on 21-3-2012 by Vinny5036 because: I forgot..

"when they spell a words like comet"

Just saying

Cookie for you for noticing too.

reply to post by Sinny

Maybe if you guys would learn to drive on the correct side of the road you wouldn't be so confuddled.

edit on 3/21/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Im guilty too here at times. Still, I think to myself...why didnt I use the 'spell-checker"?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think its very ignorant to judge what some one knows or is saying based on their grammar. English is a skill set more then it is knowledge. The more you write the better you will be. A English teacher may not know much about math but that does not mean they should not be teaching English. Because the 2 have nothing to do with each other. Same thing with judgment on weather a source is legit or not. I think its a excuse(or a ego protective barrier) lazy people use to not look into what the person with poor grammar is saying. "They dont know how to spell so they probably have no idea what they are talking about"
The subconscious is saying "I can debunk their views and keep mine in tact by basing what they have to say off their English SKILLS"
Either way, if you think like this then you probably do not deserve the information the person is trying to present.

If your so stupid that you cant FIGGER what the person is trying to spell then you probably wont be able to tell if a source is legit.

Since the first day you wear brought into this world you wear taught order, the circle goes in the circle hole, the triangle goes in the triangle hole.... Black people like rap, white people like rock.... While it is good if used in moderation, in balance as a tool but not as a guide to every thing. What I am saying will probably go over most peoples heads. So some will say my grammar is bad and I do not know what I am talking about as a lazy excuse to not understand what I am presenting.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Many times I see a "New Thread" title misspelled, I have to wonder ones credibility. Either you're extremely lazy (spell check), or you're simply dumb.

There certainly are times when a poster may have started an interesting topic or thread, but I'm disappointed when they spell a words like comet, alien, earth, asteroid, government, people, or the. I don't get it, use spell check. As an ATS community of well-rounded folks, we're smarter than this. Most of us are educated or simply have the smarts to keep our posts at least punctually correct.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot this part. I also have seen posters who claim to be astronomers or physicists who cannot spell "star" or "mass"...those are the ones I really believe in.

Did you mean 'misspell' words like comet, alien....etc? And why do you have 'a' before 'words like comet' etc....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

I think with all the trouble and problems that are going in the world, the last thing I'm going to worry about is someone's spelling or grammar.Its what they are trying to tell you not if they got it perfect or not.I would hate to miss out on an important story that someone else picked up on and I didn't, all because I didn't want to read it over spelling.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I agree with you absolutely.
Nobody is perfect and I don't think everybody has to be a 9th degree black-belt in spelling but you could at least appear that you have a basic education. Unless you are 12 and still learning.

Whether you may be a youngster or someone who uses English as second language there is ALWAYS spell-check. When you type something and there is a little red line under it take that as a clue that something is wrong with that word. It's simple really, if there is a red underlined word then it is most likely wrong so check it out.

While it's true that many geniuses throughout history were pretty uneducated book wise but had skills otherwise.
That is a great crutch to use but I am pretty sure that everybody on ATS that is a crappy speller is not one.

If that's how you want to justify your lack of education to the world so be it.
Just because you believe it doesn't make it true......

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
How you write define who you are.

How can I take you serious if you can't even spell? If I see a thread with a bad spelling I'll assume you're an ignorant so don't try to teach me quantum physics.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I think I have that problem too. I'll spell something, then I'll misspell it, and re double check it. I don't know, I think I seem to think faster then I type sometimes. Grammar and Spelling are my biggest problems. If I close my eyes and type, I seem to do better at typing.

You guys, I know would love my sister death, She will never be a one liner and she will always have good grammar and spelling.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Lol at the OP getting pants in a knot about spelling, then making loads of grammatical errors! It's really no big deal Vinny, just have a smile at the fact we are all human and therefore prone to mysteaks

You should get a kick out of this video at least

edit on 21-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Eye dont sea wat the big deel is. As long as u can reed wats bein sed and understant it, its all good.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Oh Vinny. You criticise yet make similar mistakes. I don't need to point out your error as some other posters already have. I just quoted your post so you cannot edit out your mistake. What's with all the caps? Do you really need to shout? Can you not restrain yourself? Do you need to get so upset over a stupid little thing like this? Maybe you need to consult your dictionary and look up the word pedantic. I did and saw the word Vinny! Lol! People make mistakes, get over it!

What are you the Nazi grammar police? I am not claiming to be perfect in any way but maybe your the one who needs to order a big "cone shaped" hat with the letter V on it. Bahahahah!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

I find this hilarious considering your own spelling and grammar sucks! I guess you were either “extremely lazy” or “dumb” when typing this thread. I guess spell check can’t fix everything! People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Thanks for making me laugh tonight!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Actually what you are seeing is Translation errors, especially when it comes to grammar and sentence structure. Many people write their threads in their language then use an online translator to translate it into English, then copy & paste it into here, and that's where many errors come in.

But, you're right. There are a few where you can tell they're English speaking and for whatever reason are too lazy to correct things.

And I agree, when you see an error by someone starting a thread I have to wonder how reliable they are, especially in those threads where they claim "this" and "that.'

A few big culprits are the whole use of the words like "you're" and "your," or "their," "there," and "they're.' That last one "there" is a biggie --many people get that word usage incorrect.

And I don't think it's being too picky or asking for too much. Your sentence structure and spelling is part of who you are. If you appear messy, then your research may be as well! And, perhaps if you can't convey things properly in writing, perhaps you didn't convey other things properly, for example, those of you who start those "he said she said" threads.

Like the saying goes: "Beware of the man who won’t be bothered with details."

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Language is how you literally* program your reality - these words are first formed in your head, and thus are an externalised form of your thoughts - it implies a lack of understanding of the world at large, and it is typically apologised away by those who have no grasp for the power of words and SPELLS.

edit on 22-3-2012 by purplemonkeydishwasher because: *edit to note pun

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder

Like the saying goes: "Beware of the man who won’t be bothered with details."

Perhaps I might give a reason to that man's modus operandi, as it were, with a parallel proverb; and that perhaps it is because "The Devil is in the details."

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
critisism of spelling and grammar is the last resort of an idiot who cannot refute the facts and logic of a persons stance - yet must reject or ignore the position

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Maybe if you guys would learn to drive on the correct side of the road you wouldn't be so confuddled.

Seeing you want to be rude like that maybe you guys could at least learn to produce a decent conspiracy documentary/report actually worth watching and maybe you would not be so "confuddled" as you put it!
Don't start!
edit on 22-3-2012 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
/clears throat "Hew-kid awhn faw-nicks, wer-kid fower meh." say it out loud. thats how lindsay lohan spells in her head.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I would say you lose credibility if you think that a message loses credibility with spelling errors.

The message is what is important.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I have to wonder ones credibility. or you're simply dumb.
when they spell a words like comet, alien, earth, asteroid, government, people, or the. I don't get it,

I have to wonder one's credibility
When they spell words like....

Fixed for you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join