It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You LOSE Credibility When You CANNOT Spell..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afraidnomore

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

Originally posted by Afraidnomore

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by Vinny5036

i say, it's the information that counts.

This. Get over it.

When my girl sends me a text saying "I lov u" should I whine about it and make a big stink?

Nah. Probably not. But when she sends me one, feel free to raise as big a stink as you feel warranted.

edit on 21/3/12 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

That's awesome, good job! Made me laugh out loud, havent done that in awhile, thanks.

My pleasure, sir!

Oh wait, she texted me that as well...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sorry, I jsut can not agree.

lack of spelling is not an indication of intelligence, just an inability to spell.

You might want to check out this website:

www.onlinecollegecourses.com...

none of these people could spell, yet they did have some amount of influence on America.

So according to you, they shouldn't have even been allowed to express themselves because they can't spell worth a darn.

No thank you.

Spelling is a skill, just like anything else and has to be developed. Some people are just not able to develop that skill, but it is not a true indication of intelligence.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Afraidnomore

no, i will never get over it and i am proud of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

lack of spelling is not an indication of intelligence, just an inability to spell.

none of these people could spell, yet they did have some amount of influence on America.

So according to you, they shouldn't have even been allowed to express themselves because they can't spell worth a darn.

No thank you.

Spelling is a skill, just like anything else and has to be developed. Some people are just not able to develop that skill, but it is not a true indication of intelligence.

I think the OP is also saying that not even bothering to use spell check is indicative of either stupidity or laziness. Many of those influential figures had no access to spell/grammar check. To be honest, that's what bothers me the most. Sure one can be intelligent (or at least smart) and not have the schooling to be adept in the spelling/grammar dept. But, to not even be bothered enough to use spell/grammar check when you (1) know you can't spell/lack language skills and (2) have such tools so readily available says something about that person's character/mind - and it ain't good.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
letz mak ats a plaze fer onli thoz ho can spel and then mak et fer doz dat onle agre wit u den we wil al bee hapi

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ice pack, I was agreeing with you.

Why are we arguing? I'll take my own advice, and get over it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Afraidnomore

i was joking. sorry, i thought you were pulling my leg with "get over it", so i tried to pull back.
funny, never had such an "misunderstanding".

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

That would be that I am "TOO" dumb...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It's interesting to see the different opinions about this. Lets take these two quotes, for example:

Originally posted by KaelemJames

True. But, i have seen better spelling and grammar from members from non English countries, or, that do not have English as a first language. Yet, they still spell better than members that are from English speaking countries.

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Also many people who post here are from different nations and English may be their 2nd language so give people a break we can't all be as perfect as you.

This is something I've noticed, not only here, but on some other boards as well. Some people think it's people who have English as a second language the ones making mistakes, while others think it's the native speakers, because those who have English as their second language make an extra effort to make themselves understood.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
It's interesting to see the different opinions about this. Lets take these two quotes, for example:

Originally posted by KaelemJames

True. But, i have seen better spelling and grammar from members from non English countries, or, that do not have English as a first language. Yet, they still spell better than members that are from English speaking countries.

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Also many people who post here are from different nations and English may be their 2nd language so give people a break we can't all be as perfect as you.

Seems like in America, English will be the second language and Spanish will be the first language. Only problem is that we'll have Spanish teachers teaching English as a second language.

This is something I've noticed, not only here, but on some other boards as well. Some people think it's people who have English as a second language the ones making mistakes, while others think it's the native speakers, because those who have English as their second language make an extra effort to make themselves understood.

edit on 21-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vinny5036

Am I missing something? I'm sorry, I don't understand. You quoted my post but didn't reply to it, is there a particular reason?

Did I make a mistake?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vinny5036

Originally posted by Vinny5036
Some people think it's people who have English as a second language the ones making mistakes

No it's everybody making mistakes, I promise....

I would just quit now...but then again you have a good point with real time examples

Peploe mkae msitkaes but if you can raed the msesgae waht deos it matetr
edit on 21-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot

No thank you.

I think the OP is also saying that not even bothering to use spell check is indicative of either stupidity or laziness. Many of those influential figures had no access to spell/grammar check. To be honest, that's what bothers me the most. Sure one can be intelligent (or at least smart) and not have the schooling to be adept in the spelling/grammar dept. But, to not even be bothered enough to use spell/grammar check when you (1) know you can't spell/lack language skills and (2) have such tools so readily available says something about that person's character/mind - and it ain't good.

what bothers me is when somebody uses 106 words to say what someone else already said, and say it 3 times to boot..

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I would say not using spell check is a sign of a lack of intelligence.

Sorry you have no excuse.

I think it is rude to expect people to read your bad spelling and grammar.

No one expects perfection, but make an effort eh?

edit on 3/21/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
English isn't my native language, but I think aside spelling, reading slang and construction of sentences is my biggest problem on the forum, totally different from what I was learning in high school.
So appeal to everyone whos english is their native language, please, if it's possible to mind these issues.
Thank you... Cheers

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think there should be a Spanish forum...so I don't make so many errors!

Naaa...that won't work either...maybe just a forum for people with exceptional English typing skills and those with perfect grammar then the OP will have a place to hang out without all the frustrations of the main board!

I let my dog do most of my typing for me...so any mistakes should be aimed at him!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I blame spelling errors on floride and the dumbing down of societee twoday. The education in this world really sucks. IQ's are lower twoday. Also materialism has caused meny to chase after trinkets insted of education. Sure we have colleges but that's a moot point considering schooling before hand is so crappy that the colleges are playing ketchup. The media treats us as if we're stupid with attension spans of a 2 year old. I no some posters english is not their first language so that's another factor to consider in grammatical errors.

We could also stop being grammar Nazi's and take the content for what it is and judge the content not the poster

I hope I didn't make any errors

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

I think there should be a Spanish forum...so I don't make so many errors!

Hmm... I would love that! Then I wouldn't have to worry about making mistakes either

I try my best to write properly, but there are times when I make mistakes. In my earlier post I got "this" and "these" confused so I had to edit it. There are probably more that I haven't even noticed!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
English isn't my native language, but I think aside spelling, reading slang and construction of sentences is my biggest problem on the forum, totally different from what I was learning in high school.
So appeal to everyone whos english is their native language, please, if it's possible to mind these issues.
Thank you... Cheers

You can usually tell someone who isn't a native English speaker, rather than some who is just too lazy to check their spelling and grammar.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
Thank you... Cheers

You can usually tell someone who isn't a native English speaker, rather than some who is just too lazy to check their spelling and grammar.

Sorry, my bad. What I was trying to say is that I have a problem with understanding slang, I have to google it, also most people constructing weird sentences which I struggle to comprehend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join