It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 2012 Disasters WIll Be Worse than Other Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Much hype about 2012 being the year of destruction, end of the world, etc. Whether it will be or not, I don't personally have an opinion on. However, what i do THINK ABOUT IT IS BELOW:

2012 is no different than any other year, disasters will come and go, floods, earthquakes, tidal waves, all of them have always occurred and will continue to occur. Mother Earth is a living entity with life, changing and growth all a part of it. So yes, we will continue to have the same things happen that have always happened. (While I agree that "natural" and even man-made occurrences have escalated more in the past few decades.)

However, the DIFFERENCE is that we, ourselves, have set ourselves up for those disasters to affect us more than they ever have before. Some have pointed out that the solar flares of 1859 were the worst in history and "yet we are still here." True. But think about the effect on an 1859 society and the one in which we live.

A major huge solar flare to us,could mean taking out the "system" on which we have all become accustomed. The majority of people on earth can't even feed themselves without a grocery store. In 1859 they could. They still knew how to grow food. Most people today rely heavily on intercontinental survival. Such as either for their own jobs, money etc, or on products that we receive from around the world. Should a solar flare take out our system, all that would cease.

Only A small amount of people have wells on their property that they could hand draw water if needed. In 1859 they had them in abundance. .For today's society, water comes thru our taps, but without the system it wouldn't.

In 1859, herbal medicines were still widely used, and people could find medicinal help without pharmacies and doctors. That knowledge has been greatly lost now and we have become completely dependant on modern medicines for survival.

Point of this thread is that, yes, disasters will occur, but we are far less capable of dealing with them than when they occurred even 100 years ago. Maybe that is what the 2012 scenario is all about. Not that it will be worse than what the planet has seen before, but that it will be worse in that people have backed themselves into a corner regarding their survival.

In this case, it could be a very definite thought that 2012 will be a year of causing a near distinction of mankind.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nana2

Perhaps.

But you are forgetting something. There are huge numbers of the population who are more suited to survive such a scenario.

The POOR and DISADVANTAGED.

See, the poor do not have the access to much of the modern technologies you mentioned namely medicine. So they actually have been using family remedies passed down from generations because when they get sick, they can't go to a doctor or afford the expensive OTC drugs. So they already know what other options there are out there.

The privileged and the affluent would not be able to survive for the reasons you mentioned. And quite frankly, I think it will be better for mankind if these selfish greedy people did not make it while those who know how to live off the earth and respect nature flourish.

Ya know, the Bible says "The meek shall inherit the earth". That may very well be because the meek are the only ones who will know how to survive off the earth.
edit on 21-3-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: to add that scripture

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Yes, those huge numbers of people who DO know about living away from the system, is why mankind will survive. They will be the ones to carry on.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I agree completely. If the power grid did go down I know a lot of rich bastards that will be devastated. I'm glad I had an awesome Grandmother who taught me how to garden, and the privilege of owning quiet a bit of acreage. That is if the government doesn't deem me a terrorist.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Nana2

We're far less capable of handling a disaster than we were 100 years ago you say?

100 years ago there were no helicopters to airlift people out of disaster zones.
100 years ago there was no high speed communications to ask other nations for help.
100 years ago it could take weeks to get that help, now it's hours.

I'm sorry to say that you've got it all wrong, even an 1859 sized solar storm is manageable on a global scale.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Nana2

We're far less capable of handling a disaster than we were 100 years ago you say?

100 years ago there were no helicopters to airlift people out of disaster zones.
100 years ago there was no high speed communications to ask other nations for help.

I'm sorry to say that you've got it all wrong, even an 1859 sized solar storm is manageable on a global scale.

I think you just like telling people they are wrong without thinking first sometimes....... Mr. Chadwickus, I think what the OP was trying to say was that people back then where more capable of surviving through rough times than us with more common sense, and know how, about survival and not be spoiled with technology to get them by. Please think before you jump the gun next time would ya?
edit on 21/3/12 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
i guess that the more complex the society/culture/population becomes the harder the fall...

the street people & homeless will be better able to manage & adapt that all us web savvy people...

I just need a plan to protecting the series of 70-120 watt solar systems that will supply electric to the 4 different compartments of this house

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You are right about this, and also I would like to say that new cars will stop working, and also mobile phones.

The best place to be if this happens is in a farm where ypu have access to clean water.

You will not need nothing more than that.

The cities will get crazy because the issues you mention.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Sorry boss I clearly never think before I write... Happens all the time dunnit?

Lucky all ATS members are modern day Davey Crockets innit?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
In this particular scenario where all modern technology ceases to function, I believe those of us who farm and live on farms will be the war front, because, A. those who are less fortunate and don't know a thing about living off the land will become scavengers who will do anything to feed and water themselves to survive. B. Fighting off others to protect you land, animals and foodstore.

That leads me to believe anyone who has the notion that life in the country on the farm will be harder but manageable living will actually be vary near impossible for the fact of having people by the droves coming in and trying to steal, kill scavenge what ever food store you have. Most likely not being vary friendly in their search and invasion.

What would you do in this situation? Tough decisions they are.

Than again i could be wrong and people will band together in unity, but i have my doubts to that, considering what i see in humans basic nature and survival instincts.

It will be back to the wild for Mankind.

Perhaps it will be a test and we WILL ascend to the level of higher reasoning and unite in colonies to survive.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Pretty ridiculous examples. Considering the OP used a massive solar storm as an example, and a solar EMP like situation is very conceivable in that situation - how effective will our "high speed communications" and "helicopters" actually be when their electronics are no longer functioning? How effective will our response be when more than half of an electrical infrastructure is down?

In 1859, people relied on electricity for lights. Today, we rely on it for nearly everything in our lives. To say that we would be able to manage it more readily then they did then is truly a ridiculous statement, and you obviously down understand that hold that technology has on our lives today, and the impact it would have should it all be shut down in a moments notice.

Now as for the OP, I am going to disagree on one point. 2012 is not going to be like any other year, just as 2011 is not going to be like any other year. As much as someone wants to deny it or make up excuses - the amount of tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and general natural disasters has risen from 2009-2010, from 2010-2011, and it is already on the rise in 2012. Let us not forget that solar activity is on the rise as well which adds a whole new player to the ball game. The numbers speak for themselves. Large scale occurrences did not go "unreported" in the past, and the surge of Twitter and Facebook did not cause a falsifying jump in the figures over the past two years.

The Earth is changing due to unseen forces. Not to say it is the end of the world or that we can't handle it, but to deny the obvious is to deny the reality of the situation.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack
reply to post by Chadwickus

In 1859, people relied on electricity for lights. Today, we rely on it for nearly everything in our lives. To say that we would be able to manage it more readily then they did then is truly a ridiculous statement, and you obviously down understand that hold that technology has on our lives today, and the impact it would have should it all be shut down in a moments notice.

Couldn't agree more, but in 1859 only maybe 5-7% relied on electricity for lights, it was mostly Telegraphs at that time, only the larger cities were slightly gridded for street lights at that time.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
A large solar flare would sure cause major problems in the electric grid, business and economy as a whole. Now I remember one documentary saying if such flare occurs and damages electricity - many pople would die. I disagree as long as we have our sources like water and creating generators, there is just a way we can always live with electricity until the damage as big as it can be, is fixed. So saying people would starve without electricty as food would get spoiled and will be uneatable is wild and exaggerated

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Nana2

Unfortunately if our nation's power grids were disrupted, these 3 modern day supports would probably be useless for a while, therefore we could not get speedy help from other nations. If the solar flare was really strong, wouldn't it affect other nations's power grids also? Because our wonderful technology would all be "down," it would take weeks to get help...not hours!
edit on 21-3-2012 by elrem48 because: small print

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Whatever the catalyst may be, it has been a long time coming. For those that are not prepared, Im sorry. For the rest of us "poor white trash" that live off the land, hunt, fish, and live a life rather minimal lifestyle: bring it on...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nolongerblind

Sadly for you, you are in a minority, and the millions without will be knocking on your door, it won't take long for them to not ask nicely.

The west is doomed, yes, even the ones that are prepared, all your guns, water purification tablets, BUG out bags, four wheel drives, won't do you any good when everyone else swarms you like a plague of locusts.

In any case, our planet goes through cycles, sometimes those cycles result in mass extinctions, That is no more likely to happen in 2012 then it is to happen in 2013.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Sadly, the only thing to do when locust swarm you is defend yourself, and I have no problem defending myself against those who decided that it would be fun to be ignorant and abrasive towards those who were different before something went bad.

I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge, but I would also be willing to defend myself against any number of people who decide that their survival is deemed worthier than my own.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

Actually, your response to me is ridiculous... You clearly have no idea what actually happens during a large geomagnetic storm.

Helicopters will not be effected at all and you will still have broadcast radio.

It's true that a good percentage of the north american continent will be affected due to long span transmission lines and intertwined grids, while most of Europe will barely be effected.

China and Australia are other potential danger zones due to the long span transmission lines as well.

Plenty more information for you here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

I agree with Chadwickus. The claim boils down to the increased specialization of today's society in which a smaller percentage of the population is involved in agriculture.

What sort of disaster is going to stop the farmers?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

A solar storm is not going to produce an EMP large enough to knock out electronics. It might damage systems hooked up to long transmission wires. Cars will be fine.

In 1859, people relied on electricity for lights.

Actually the light bulb was invented in 1859. Wires were used for telegraphs.

the amount of tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and general natural disasters has risen from 2009-2010, from 2010-2011, and it is already on the rise in 2012.

Another mistake. These are not on the rise. Floods are on the rise due to human actions such as construction, deforestation, etc. The rest are not on the rise.

Let us not forget that solar activity is on the rise as well

We are headed for a solar maximum in 2013, then again that happens every 11 years.

The Earth is changing due to unseen forces.

Got any evidence for that?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join