It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyond the point of no return, is the plan to abandon Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I believe that the effects of human impact on the Earth's environment has gone
beyond repair. The worlds governments know this and that is why so little action has
been taken over the last 30 years or so. I believe that a long term plan to abandon Earth
is becoming an option.

Yeah, I hear ya. But before you do this ^ there are a few things to consider listed below.
And you never know I may just be right, well stranger things have happened.

SEEN BETTER DAYS
Our beloved planet Earth is'nt doing to well lately is it?
There have always been earthquakes, floods and hurricanes etc.
But lately they have become more frequent and powerful in their ferocity.
We have all noticed it, no matter where on Earth you live. Some of you, I realise have
already been directly effected by this matter in Europe, Japan, U.S.A the list goes on.
Here in Australia we have just come out of a 10 year drought only to have great floods
all along our eastern coast for the 4th year in a row. Some people say that it is due to
global warming and others are saying the Earth is going through a natural phase.
I believe both of these theories are correct.

CARBON DIOXIDE LEVELS
Global warming has passed the point of no return. Our governments have had timely warning
but have failed terribly to act. Sure, we have wind and wave turbines, solar panels and
desalination plants but these have simply not been enough. Many governments main response
has been to secure natural resouces and impose new taxes. Australia's carbon tax will be $25/tonn.

Global warming has reached the point of no return, a study published in the Tuesday edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences by a joint team of the U.S., French and Swiss researchers concludes.

“People have imagined that if we stopped emitting carbon dioxide the climate would go back to normal in 100 years, 200 years; that’s not true,”

greenhouseneutralfoundation.org...

As you can see from the chart above, CO2 levels have not been this high for a very
long time. I have listed below the CO2 levels in parts per million for every 5 years from
1975 upto last week.

March 1975 333.06 ppm
March 1980 340.89 ppm
March 1985 348.46 ppm
March 1990 355.91 ppm
March 1995 362.92 ppm
March 2000 371.06 ppm
March 2005 382.49 ppm
March 2010 391.42 ppm
March 2012 394.27 ppm

At this current rate we will reach 400 ppm around 2015.
CO2 emissions continue to climb, we are far from reversing this build up.
Infact it would take 1000 years for the current CO2 levels to drop back down to
300 parts per million.
ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov...
climate.nasa.gov...

ACIDIC OCEANS
30% of CO2 in the atmosphere is absorbed by the oceans. The CO2 then makes the oceans
acidic. It has been estimated that at the end of this century the worlds oceans will be
150 times more acidic than they are now. This acidity will devastate all sea life that uses
calcium for shells and skeletal systems. Mainly the lower food chain and you know what that means.
The image below demonstrates what happens to a shell in water 150 times more acidic than today.As you can see the calcium shell is weakened and then disolved.

www.pmel.noaa.gov...

EARTH TOO HOT FOR HUMANS
In 2010 a report was published that states parts of Earth will be too hot for human habitation by the year 2300ad. Based on current greenhouse gas emissions the report says that global warming will not stop and by the year 2300ad a temperature increase of 12 degrees is suggested.

Such a temperature rise would pose a "considerable threat to the survival of our species", he said, because "as much as half the currently inhabited globe may simply become too hot for people to live there".

www.pnas.org...
www.weatherwatch.co.nz...

CURRENT MASS EXTINCTION EVENT
You may or may not know that we are living in the Holocene mass extinction event. This is the greatest extinction of species since the Cretaceous period 65 million years ago. Another report published last year
states that by 2300ad three quarters of the worlds animals will be extinct.

The picture gets even grimmer when all mammals currently endangered or threatened are added to the count. If those all disappear within a century, then by 334 years from now, 75% of all mammal species will be gone, says Barnosky.

news.sciencemag.org...
www.well.com...

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY, THIS PLANET SUCKS
There is no arguement about the Earth's demise. Those very few who do continue to doubt climate change are in serious denial. The only thing left to consider is who will get hit next and how bad, well that and how to leave the Earth. Before we go on let us hear what Steven Hawking has to say about it all.

From 2006

As Stephen Hawking, the world's most famous scientist, warned that humanity faced extinction from man-made or natural disaster and should start preparing without delay for the evacuation of Earth, NASA confirmed that its plan to send astronauts planet hopping was on course.

www.nysun.com...

The USA congress republicans like the idea as well.
From last year

The signatories of this Abandon Earth letter to House Appropriations Committee Chairman Harold Rogers (R-KY) and Commerce, Justice, and Science Subcommittee Chairman Frank Wolf (R-VA) are Reps. Sandy Adams (R-FL), Rob Bishop (R-UT), Mo Brooks (R-AL), Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), Pete Olson (R-TX) and Bill Posey (R-FL), all from districts that play a role in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA) manned spaceflight program.

thinkprogress.org...

In 2010 the US government proposed a think tank called the 100 year starship project. It is an on-going project where bodies from government, manufacturing, and the scientific community can plan the necessary technology to begin the construction of a spaceship capable of interstellar travel.

www.100yss.org...

What does ATS think?
Have we run out of time?
Is it time to start to plan our way off of this planet?
Is the hunt for Earth like planets due to this?
edit on 21-3-2012 by LeLeu because: I ran out of room

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This is another project that takes my attention. ELI the Extreme Light Infrastructure project is to make a number of different experiments using very high powered lasers. Of particular interest is the Ultra High Field Facility that plans to fire 10 high powered lasers and focus them into one beam, this laser would have the equivelent of the worlds combined power output in a year. It will only be fired in intervals of a nanosecond but scientist predict they will be able to tear the fabric of space time. They are also hopeing to find evidence of other dimensions. I dont know much about this kind of thing but if you cause a rip in the space time continum would you not be able to create a wormhole allowing us to travel vast distances over a short period of time.

Oh yeah! Deathstar Earth

The highest intensity pillar location will be decided in 2012. The laser power will reach the 200 PW or 100 000 times the power of the world electric grid

www.extreme-light-infrastructure.eu...< br />
Perhaps development of this tech will oneday allow us to travel to another Earth in a different dimension. it may prove to be easier than light speed.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I read a "comedy" novel many years ago called "STARK" by the "alternative comedian" Ben Elton (I can't stand him as a comedian but the book is fantastic) written in 1989 on this subject, it actually made the hair on the back of my stand up as I was reading it and I've always considered that the plot is exactly what would be done in the same circumstances.

Edit, now with added wiki link
STARK
edit on 21/3/12 by yellowbeard because: added link

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't know what you're worried about.

Spring has sprung.

My yard is getting green.

My grill has been getting hot.

The ladies are wearing less clothes.

I got money in the bank.

We all die in the end. Make the most of it now.

This planet doesn't suck. You're just not doing it right.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
No, there is no need to abandon our planet Earth, at least not yet for several million years more.

Planet Earth is still fully capable of sustaining humankind, despite the natural and manmade events that installed fears amongst some. For each event, mankind picked themselves up and continued on, courageously. A distinctive and unique trait of humans - resilience and never giving up, adapting to all, in order to survive, come what may. We had come too long a way to falter today.

What will help us even more is for us all to acknowledge errors made, through honest and sincere discussion and debates, but all and NOT just the elite few, for they may have agendas of their own, and from time to time, had instead hindered knowledge, fed us with lies and brought mankind to the brink of doom.

Once we know the errors, we humanity have the capacity to correct them, such as better/improved tech, management and societal civilisational elevation.

Still, it never harms to look upon the stars, for that is our specie's destiny, but we must correct our errors on our homeworld first if we are ever to progress, or if we continued on as before, allowing extreme selfish greed by the few to set mankind's agenda, we the human species will only destroy worlds along our paths, the way we had choked our planet's clean rivers and atmosphere with harmful industrial wastes and insane destruction of oxygen producing jungles.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
in the past year or so any post that is made concerning climate change will get a lot of criticism unless you're on the side of "it's a hoax". i know there are some of us left on this site that do not think it's a hoax but most have given up posting here. showing rising CO2 levels will just get you comments about how great that is for the plants (even though they can't absorb it all).

personally i agree with you. there isn't anywhere to go though. we're going to have to adapt. however, the rate of decline is speeding up each year. i don't know if we can adapt quickly enough.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The CO2 is not reAlly a problem IMO, if every country went on a massive tree planting excercise for two years this should bring levels down eventually. No the real problem stems from the nuclear industry and I am not iust talking about the power stations but the tens of thousands of warheads all over the planet. Nuclear weapons are designed for one thing only, to be used.

Yeah, you could say we are screwed.

new topics

top topics

join