It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can't change anyone's minds here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Not really a rant just an observation that people (myself included) are to pig headed to change their view even if shown the facts.
I can honestly say my view has been changed in one thread (about the effects of nuclear war) and I still fought with the guy until at long last I thought "darn it he is right" and I tip my hat to that fella.
But certain forums on here you/me have no chance changing anyone's minds you can give as much evidence as you want and people will still just say "No Iam right".
There have been many threads where I have learned things and many that I know nothing about until I read what people have to say.
But some forums are really just a waste of our time (Religious ones) because they just turn into a troll fest or name calling (underhand).
If any one out there has changed their minds about their Religion/belief system thru these forums speak up.
But really do we need Religious forums? they just waste all our time and I bet the mods hate them.
At the end of the day their are many forums people can visit if they want to talk about Religion.

So have any posts changed your mind about anything? if so post here telling us what.
Cheers BM
edit on 21-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
By Jove, you are absolutely correct!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Pressed enter when I typed the heading (sorry) up now

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
A lot of the time "facts" and "evidence" are just opinions and theories. Those terms are used very loosely lately.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The threads I learn the most from, are usually the ones I don't partake in.
I find it easier to sit back and see both sides of the story and try my best to view the scenario from all possibilities.

Some people are here just to 'debunk' (I really despise that word). They will enter a conversation just to reinforce their own beliefs. It is a mockery to the knowledge they claim to have, and in all honesty it is no different to a 'bible-basher'. The only difference is the book. To some religious people I know, the bible is the start of religion, not the epitome. It would be like arguing nuclear physics with the knowledge of a middle school's Introduction to Science.

The religious threads are refreshing. No wonder they are trolled the hardest. What would we do if we realised that it didn't matter who wanted to nuke who? Well, we would start changing ourselves... that is religion to me.

When you change your world-view every single day, you can see how easy it is to change. After that, all that is left is deciding which view you want to have, not which view it is correct to have.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic, but I'm just trying to say that it is all in the eye of the beholder. We are all unique, therefore there are many different eyes. The more you are familiar with them, the easier it is.

My rant piggy-backs on your rant

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dyllels
Some people are here just to 'debunk' (I really despise that word).

It's best to approach subject with a skeptical attitude. It doesn't mean the person doesn't want it to be true, it means they want the facts and evidence before they believe it, instead of following like a sheep and looking like an idiot. I always approach subjects in this way, but I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

But really do we need Religious forums?

the mods should think about this one. its ,by far more useless then a flyscreen on a submarine

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Not really a rant just an observation that people (myself included) are to pig headed to change their view even if shown the facts.

Hmm, i have to say i have changed my mind about the spelling abilities of fellow Yorkies - it should be "too pig headed"!
(sorry, couldn't resist being a prat!).

I know what you mean. I read through threads thinking "that person has clearly just jumped in without reading" and then find myself occasionally doing the same thing.

The Religious threads are definitely the worst for it. People on them mostly seem to be either wildly anti god or so pro god that any criticism brings accusations of doom and hellfire and smiting for the non believer. There is nothing to be gained from trying to discuss with either as it never leads anywhere apart from more abuse and trolling.

Shame really, wish more people thought "each to their own".

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I used to be a hardcore,fundamental,independant baptist.
I started to study the jewish roots of our christian faith,I
quit the baptist church.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Whoa, that is a bloody good example!

And kudos for sharing......

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
As someone who spent a good portion of his life as a fundamentalist, and is now an atheist. I appreciate the religious forum, and I've learned from both sides of those debates, while sometimes not agreeing with either. So I'm glad they are there.

We can't change anyone's minds here.

And few would admit it if you did. But it does happen occasionally. I've seen it.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by dyllels
Some people are here just to 'debunk' (I really despise that word).

It's best to approach subject with a skeptical attitude. It doesn't mean the person doesn't want it to be true, it means they want the facts and evidence before they believe it, instead of following like a sheep and looking like an idiot. I always approach subjects in this way, but I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Wanting the facts and evidence before you commit to a certain belief is a commendable quality, and something which we should all strive for.

The real problem comes when people have an unquenchable thirst for proof - the glutton of right's and wrong's.
You can see these people around ATS every now and again. They always pop in the threads that are obviously beneath them, while they reinforce their own stagnant take on the subject - usually at the expense of everyone else. As the OP says, it is very difficult to change the mindset in people such as these.

We are all juggling with our mental impressions from society, and when our world view is threatened, we sometimes stop at nothing to defend or debunk an inevitable change in our outlook or life. Sometimes we have a hard time telling ourselves that there is enough proof and it is time to move forward, look at it from another angle, or even change your interests completely

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

But really do we need Religious forums? they just waste all our time and I bet the mods hate them.
At the end of the day their are many forums people can visit if they want to talk about Religion.

Hear, hear! I will agree that the Religious Forum is often a hotbed of activity, arguments, fighting, hate filled posts, endless Bible quotes, accusations, death sentences to all who are not part of the cult. However, these Religion threads do give me something to do. I spent many years reading and researching Christian History and Theory, and the Bible,(s) so in many ways it is good to teach them, whether they listen of not is their own business. I have even stopped caring whether they make it through or not. Many will not, better not to cry tears for those who do not, or can not make it to the Higher Planes.

new topics

top topics

join