It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have "Racial Profiling"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Or to be more accurate,where does it originate and why?If people look at certain races and certain crimes pop into their minds,is there a basis for it?
Such as,if you see blacks and think Criminal or Welfare or Dope;or you look at hispanics and think Illegal or Lazy is there a reason based in fact?
If its not based in fact,such as a larger percentage of crimes are committed by blacks,or lots of hispanics are here illegally,then where DO such profiles originate?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
This came to mind because there are some who say the kid in Flprida was followed and shot simply because he was black and therefore more suspicious than someone else on the street after dark in a neighborhood not known to have many of his race

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
A few articles .... both in favor and against

How Profiling Works

USA Today - Racial Profiling A Matter of Survival

When our national security is on the line, "racial profiling" — or more precisely, threat profiling based on race, religion or nationality — is justified. Targeted intelligence-gathering at mosques and in local Muslim communities, for example, makes perfect sense when we are at war with Islamic extremists.

7 Statements against Racial Profiling

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Because (some) white Americans have a deep and overpowering need, to murder and/or segregate anybody who isn't either Caucasian or Jewish.

edit on 21-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
Because (some) white Americans have a deep and overpowering need, to murder and/or segregate anybody who isn't either Caucasian or Jewish.

edit on 21-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)
That's a pretty harsh absolute...either cut them out of the herd or murder them?
edit on 21-3-2012 by Bullypulpit because: Dawgsbane

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullypulpit

Originally posted by petrus4
That's a pretty harsh absolute...either cut them out of the herd or murder them?

Sure; but I'm not the one giving the FBI their orders.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The FBI/DOJ can't racially profile under what's currently sitting in office or his flunky holder......unless its against White people

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullypulpit

Comes from statistics and statistics don't lie

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Racial profiling is part of the divide and conquer culture being instigated in local law enforcement.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Or to be more accurate,where does it originate and why?If people look at certain races and certain crimes pop into their minds,is there a basis for it?
Such as,if you see blacks and think Criminal or Welfare or Dope;or you look at hispanics and think Illegal or Lazy is there a reason based in fact?
If its not based in fact,such as a larger percentage of crimes are committed by blacks,or lots of hispanics are here illegally,then where DO such profiles originate?

I am from the Amazon jungle, and sometimes you just cant help but to "Racially Profile another race

Whenever my child and I are walking in a mall or something, if I see a white person, I will hold my Childs hand very tight, knowing how they love to rape and kidnap kids all the time. When ever my kids friends go to church, I tell the mother never let my child get close to the preacher because they love to rape kids behind the alter.

Whenever I walk pass a white person, I walk across the street because they are so scared, I feel they will pull out mace, or immediately call the police, Alternatively, shot me because they are so paranoid.

When ever I walk pass a black person, I immediately grab my gun that I keep in my waste ,and pray to the mother of all, and ask her to guide them the right way or I will send them to you very quick.

When ever I see a Spanish person near the gate of our community, I for some reason think they are poor and have no job because they are here illegally, so I offer them jobs around my house.

And when ever I see one of my people which is rare, I immediately create a protection spell, and in some cases cast an spirit spell to watch them, or create an evil eye spell because my people are very evil ,and if you don’t do it first, they will, with no hesitation.

Every race profiles every race every day…not just blacks or Spanish.

edit on 21-3-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LastProphet527

Interesting take on the subject ...thank you

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bullypulpit

The term started in the 1990's.

Racial profiling received a great deal of attention in the United States in the late 1990s as a result of a series of prominent incidents and the release of data on police practices from several jurisdictions.

answers.encyclopedia.com...

"Profiling" in itself is a good idea. If you're in an economically depressed area and you have individuals buying new vehicles with cash, there might be an issue.

If the scrawny people in the Walmart have black teeth, scratches and sores; there might be a meth issue.

If you are in an area where people have been beaten and robbed, and you spot a group of people with baseball bats (but no balls or gloves) there that might be your first clue.

We all profile. As a single man stepping into a club, I would go towards the women who smiled at me, I would avoid the ones play-barfing or making the sign of the cross.

We all have preconceived notions of who people are, and what they are capable of. If a series of blond-haired, blue-eyed buxom women were attacking people all over the world, it would be natural to get nervous around a cheerleader.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Good point.....so why do "other races" get so upset when they are profiled?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Good point.....so why do "other races" get so upset when they are profiled?

Because it is a lack of responsibility on their part.

It's easy to say, "You arrested/tailed/spied on me bcause I'm _________ ".

It's tough to say, "Sigh. I know you have to do this because a large population that bears a similar appearance to me has commited X crimes in the past."

The trap is when people identify themselves as a culture rather than an individual.

When you identify yourself as a culture, then you carry he onus of that culture. The good, the bad.

When you identify yourself as an individual, then profiling becomes incidental.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow..some really good answers. ...well done

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm sorry to be so non-PC, but if you see a black kid in thug gear that is 95% upper class white, then that's suspicious. If you see a white kid in a neighborhood that is 95% middle-class black, that is also suspicious.

But your average anti-discrimination nut won't see the second sentence and will immediately brand me a racist.

Anyhow, we have racial profiling, at least in the U.S., because we are still a very racially divided country. Using a little common sense helps you know if something suspicious is afoot. It's not PC, but it is the truth.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Racial profiling to keep it simple, is an excuse for Europeans with some form of power (usually law enforcement) to harrass people of color (primarily black and brown men). This is a fact if you study the criminal justice system as well as the prison industrial complex. Discrimination itself is a form of prejudice (pre-judge). Prejudice is usally based off of nothing but physical appearance because the very nature of the word prejudice (pre-judge) let's you know that it is an opinion formulated prior to any knowledge of the individual(s). So racial profiling is discriminating agianst people of color. And of course people of color aren't discriminating agianst eachother so you understand it is whites who discriminate agianst all people of color. Any thoughts europeans have regarding Original people (people of color) which are prejudice, are usually influenced by outside sources. Which the most prominate are music and the medica of course.
edit on 22-3-2012 by TheBlackManIsGod7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlackManIsGod7
Racial profiling to keep it simple, is an excuse for Europeans with some form of power (usually law enforcement) to harrass people of color (primarily black and brown men). This is a fact if you study the criminal justice system as well as the prison industrial complex. Discrimination itself is a form of prejudice (pre-judge). Prejudice is usally based off of nothing but physical appearance because the very nature of the word prejudice (pre-judge) let's you know that it is an opinion formulated prior to any knowledge of the individual(s). So racial profiling is discriminating agianst people of color. And of course people of color aren't discriminating agianst eachother so you understand it is whites who discriminate agianst all people of color. Any thoughts europeans have regarding Original people (people of color) which are prejudice, are usually influenced by outside sources. Which the most prominate are music and the medica of course.
edit on 22-3-2012 by TheBlackManIsGod7 because: (no reason given)

Dude, what are you smoking?

Back on topic, I believe racial profiling did start as a bias against "minorities". I believe it was LEO answer to kind of culling the problems before they started because of the fact.... just check out the FBI crime data base statistics for your answer on that one.
I don't believe thats the case anymore, for example, how can police racially profile against someone they pull over at night time? It would be hard to see an individual driving in a vehicle in the dark. So, LEO would have to have a legitimate reason to pull someone over. Granted, because minorities (in the U.S.) crime rates are soo dramatically high, people like the poster above me automatically assume that it is due to racial profiling.
Beezer nailed it in his/er post.
edit on 22-3-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackManIsGod7

Racial profiling to keep it simple, is an excuse for Europeans with some form of power (usually law enforcement) to harrass people of color (primarily black and brown men).

No...

This is a fact if you study the criminal justice system as well as the prison industrial complex. Discrimination itself is a form of prejudice (pre-judge).

No all those people in prison have been post-judged

Prejudice is usally based off of nothing but physical appearance because the very nature of the word prejudice (pre-judge) let's you know that it is an opinion formulated prior to any knowledge of the individual(s).

That is how law enforcement works around the world with every race. Waiving the gun around over a dead body, fleeing a murder scene with some bloody gloves or speeding away from a bank that has just been robbed with large duffel bags all fit your definition of "prejudice" as the police would be stopping these people based on their appearance without any prior knowledge of the individual.

So racial profiling is discriminating agianst people of color.

Because people of color have fought hard to make sure that this label never gets applied to them when it should.

thinknola.com...
A few weeks ago a black New Orleans police officer was involved in an incident at the Treme child care center in New Orleans during which she threatened parents and drew her weapon. She was later fired but the incident led Jerome Smith, who runs the Treme center, to address the city council and charge that the incident and response by the officer’s superiors was an example of racism. Times-Picayune columnist James Gill responded in his July 30 column, arguing that since black police were the perpetrators in the incident, then it could not possibly have been an act of racism.

And of course people of color aren't discriminating agianst eachother so you understand it is whites who discriminate agianst all people of color.

Really? This recent shooting
usnews.msnbc.msn.com...
Was done by a latino, the media was saying it was a racist thing until they found out that the shooter was not white.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Racial profiling is wrong when the race of the person is the primary factor for any suspicion or monitoring.

However, if a certain demographic, of a particular race and social class, are statistically more likely to commit a certain crime, then I can't see a problem with that being one of the elements which is factored in to criminal profiling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join